Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Whoa, nice update! Lots of good work being done here, and congrats on the new acquisition.

What is the consensus regarding replacing fuel hoses/lines that connect with the fuel tank? Is that something you'll do "while you're in there" since you have the fuel tank out?

Damn, lots of nice parts - I can imagine the car being worth its price for the supercharger and strut brace alone!
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Whoa, nice update! Lots of good work being done here, and congrats on the new acquisition.

What is the consensus regarding replacing fuel hoses/lines that connect with the fuel tank? Is that something you'll do "while you're in there" since you have the fuel tank out?
    Thanks! I've had the gas tank in and out of several E46s and while it won't hurt to replace them I never have.

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Damn, lots of nice parts - I can imagine the car being worth its price for the supercharger and strut brace alone!
    Thanks! Yeah, the parts on the car are worth more than it for sure.

I got the strut brace off and just did a light cleaning/polish to bring back some shine to it.

Before

Untitled by jake ellegard, on Flickr

After a light polish

I know absolutely nothing about audio but this is currently installed. AUX does not work so I haven't tested it.

My suspicion of loose spark plugs appears to have been right so far as when I took them out only a couple required the use of a ratchet. I didn't have new ones so I put the old ones back and properly torqued them. No more noise thus far.

I had an extra new coolant cap in my mini parts department so I replaced that as well.

Nice werk!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Nice werk!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

It has been a while! I ended up selling the original ZHP to a good friend of mine a while back (who still has it). I wasn't particularly looking for another ZHP/project but I came across this on craigslist and couldn't resist. Basic overview;

-2004 ZHP Imola/alcantara with 147k
    -6 speed (swapped)
    -JB racing light weight flywheel
    -Bilstein coilovers/Vorshlag camber plates
    -Performance Gearing 3.46 3 clutch LSD with finned cover
    -UUC swaybars
    -RE transmission mounts
    -ECS aluminum water/power steering pulleys
    -BW dual fuel pumps
    -Turner rear camber arms
    -Style 216 wheels (no ZHP wheels)
    -Brass caliper guide bushings
    -stainless brake lines
    -wheel studs
    -swapped to silver cube from black
    -GAS DISA upgrade
    -AFE intake

I'm probably missing some things but that's most of it. It also came with a set of D Force LTW 18x9 wheels and a bunch spare parts. The PO had owned it for the last 5 years and done about 3 track events with it.

Now onto the problems. The PO was selling it because it had become more of a project than he wanted to deal with. It had a gas leak, a couple oil leaks, made a horrendous noise while steering with an equally horrendous steering feel, clear coat is peeling in a couple areas, good amount of dings (most should be able to be PDR'd), interior needs some love etc I enjoy bringing back cars like this so it was perfect for me.

After bringing it home;

Low coolant light was on the following day. The bleed screw was broken so I took one off a new hose I had laying around. The whole system will be getting replaced soon.

Cause for the fuel leak was the hose running between the dual pumps

Steering noise/feel was due to a faulty steering rack. After tracking down a yellow tag rack I got it replaced along with new Lemforder tie rods, steering coupler and new boots. I didn't due a super thorough inspection before buying it and it ended up not even having a ZHP rack in it. It had a TRW rack. I didn't take a tremendous amount of pictures during this as I was a bit pressed for time.

Old rack

I went after the windshield cowl next as it was duct taped to the windshield and falling apart. I also noticed the E box was missing all four screws so those were replaced as well.

by jake ellegard, on Flickr

Loose wire is from a haphazardly wired manual swap

Next I wanted to check the rest of the wiring. The pin running to the DME had came out of its connector. I will be going through and tidying everything up at a later date to include the reverse light wiring that can be seen in the previous pics. I'm on the lookout for a complete manual harness if anyone has one. While I was down there I noticed a leak coming through the brake booster so I'll be replacing the master cylinder and brake booster as well.

That's about it for now. Future plans include;
    -cooling system overhaul
    -belts/pulleys/tensioners
    -fixing the AC
    -all control arms/bushings/mounts etc.
    -re wiring manual swap
    -all fluids
    -all leaks

Nice pick up! Looking forward to updates on progress.

Ah, so that's where that ended up! I saw it posted and emailed the guy immediately, but it sold so fast. Glad you're fixing it up, it looks to be a bit more of a project than the seller let on, haha.
    2003 Slicktop ZHP 330i - Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Nice pick up! Looking forward to updates on progress.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Ah, so that's where that ended up! I saw it posted and emailed the guy immediately, but it sold so fast. Glad you're fixing it up, it looks to be a bit more of a project than the seller let on, haha.
    I opened up my laptop around 9PM Saturday night, refreshed craigslist and there it was. I made sure to send multiple emails lol

I got a bunch of parts ordered and some installed.

Nice

Started with jack pads as all of them were missing. One did not come with the insert so hopefully it doesn't fall out too soon.

One of the pulleys was making some noise so I replaced the belts/pulleys/tensioners all at once along with the oil filter housing gasket, VANOS line etc.

EVAP monitor wasn't setting (no CEL) so I started with the easiest possible fix, the gas cap, replaced it and let it idle a few minutes then it set. Maybe that was the fix maybe it was a coincidence.

AC didn't blow cold when I bought it, PO said he would have to recharge every so often so I knew it was more than likely the evaporator. Did it over a weekend.

Even if you're careful with the curtain airbag connectors they will likely get a little damaged removing them. They still clipped back in nicely and didn't come out with a tug I just used some electrical tape as an added layer of protection.

New evap with fresh foam

Old evap

Mostly back together. There's some things I want to replace before it putting it back 100%.

Onto some random pics;

Traded my wife's Tiguan for her new daily. It was remarkably clean and very well optioned with a full service history so I had no choice.

Made it a year (only 2700 miles) on my oil change for the M3 so it was time for a change

Had the wagon loaded down with bricks

That's all for now. Still have a bunch of parts waiting to go on and a bunch of parts to order.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast