Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Koni Sport shocks not level

So I thought changing my stock suspension to the Koni Sports all the way around would be easy..turns out the hardest part is just getting the dang things. After waiting a month and a half I was sent the shocks but no struts and told it would be late October before Koni would have those again. Drat. On a related note..does anyone have a set of Koni Yellow struts they would be willing to part with? :|

I got the shocks installed pretty easily..or so I initially thought. Koni recommended 45ft-lbs for the main nut at the top and 35 ft-lbs for the side nuts, but neither set got that tight (started to spin, so I stopped). At any rate--they're not level. The rear driver's side of the car is about an inch higher than the other side. It can't be the adjustment, right? Because that should only affect damping response.

Starting to regret the Sports. Maybe try and return the shocks and get a set of the Special Actives?
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

Actually, the rear shocks don't affect ride height at all, or at least to the extent you're saying. Sometimes the rear spring can come unseated in full droop, especially if you have lowering springs. I'd recommend checking that your rear springs are seated correctly.

You also want to be sure the top nut is fully tight, or it could cause preliminary wear in the RSM and/or suspension noise. If you have access to an impact wrench, this would be the one of the few times giving it a couple "ugga duggas" is recommended.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Actually, the rear shocks don't affect ride height at all, or at least to the extent you're saying. Sometimes the rear spring can come unseated in full droop, especially if you have lowering springs. I'd recommend checking that your rear springs are seated correctly.

You also want to be sure the top nut is fully tight, or it could cause preliminary wear in the RSM and/or suspension noise. If you have access to an impact wrench, this would be the one of the few times giving it a couple "ugga duggas" is recommended.
    Could the spring have shifted when a shock was removed? I'll check that.

Koni instructions specified not to use an impact, but I could probably torque it for a second, as you say.
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

Make sure everything is settled in (take her for a short spin) and the car is parked on even ground before measuring the ride height. I doubt very much there's anything wrong with the struts or shocks. Sounds like assembly error to me, if anything. If necessary, I'd pull them out, verify everything, follow the manufacturer recommendations to the "t" (I called them for better adjustment instructions when I installed mine, and I would NOT use an impact wrench), and very carefully put everything back together. My Koni's (with stock springs) ride like a dream.

P.S. If you haven't already, be sure you install the reinforcement plates when you reinstall.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Make sure everything is settled in (take her for a short spin) and the car is parked on even ground before measuring the ride height. I doubt very much there's anything wrong with the struts or shocks. Sounds like assembly error to me, if anything. If necessary, I'd pull them out, verify everything, follow the manufacturer recommendations to the "t" (I called them for better adjustment instructions when I installed mine, and I would NOT use an impact wrench), and very carefully put everything back together. My Koni's (with stock springs) ride like a dream.

P.S. If you haven't already, be sure you install the reinforcement plates when you reinstall.
    I've driven with them in for about 50 miles. The height difference is between the wheel and fender arch.

Struts are still stock. This is where you recommend reinforcement plates, correct? Indy said I wouldn't need them unless I was tracking the car (and my strut towers are file), but I guess I may as well get a set anyways to be safe.

Reinforcement plates can and should be installed with both struts and shocks.

If settled in and parked on a flat surface, sounds like it must be a spring issue. I think it seems more likely one is broken. Can you confirm it wasn't out of whack prior to installation of the new shocks?
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

At least in the rear, if you go with something like Rogue RSM, it just makes it easier to take the shocks out later. Don't have to take out the carpet in the trunk. You get access to it all from under the car.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    At least in the rear, if you go with something like Rogue RSM, it just makes it easier to take the shocks out later. Don't have to take out the carpet in the trunk. You get access to it all from under the car.
    But you would have to remove the carpet & sound deadening stuff to remove the original rear shocks before installing Rogue RSM, correct?
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    But you would have to remove the carpet & sound deadening stuff to remove the original rear shocks before installing Rogue RSM, correct?
    Correct, as the nuts are on top. The Rogue-style RSM has the studs with the plate on the top, you undo the 2 nuts from the bottom and the shock drops down
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Reinforcement plates can and should be installed with both struts and shocks.

If settled in and parked on a flat surface, sounds like it must be a spring issue. I think it seems more likely one is broken. Can you confirm it wasn't out of whack prior to installation of the new shocks?
    Confirming it was not off kilter before putting in new shocks. I feel like if the spring was actually broken, I'd be able to tell. Ride quality is fine. I feel like I just bumped it out of alignment, will investigate. Reinforcement plates purchased.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast