Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by AM1GO View Post
    Seen it before, 2 times, factory xenon and no washers, strange initially as I thought all factory xenon mandating washers.

So 7 bolts total (corner light, 4 to take off headlight and 2 for the bracket). Can be done in 10-15 mins. Careful with the strip underneath the headlight, easy to brake the tabs as they are brittle due to age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Headlight washers are part of the cold weather package - that’s the only way to get them. You can have heated seats and no cold weather also. But, cold weather gets you headlight washers, heated seats, ski pass though and something else, maybe fold down rear seats?

Also, Xenons were an option also. So, you could have cold weather, but no Xenon.

’05 OrientBlau ZHP - fun
    ’19 RAM 1500 Laramie - mine
    ’13 MB ML350 - wifes

Yes, there are such theories, but in this instance I know exactly what I am doing. I already did 4 other sets (MM/AL), this is the last one. Light improvement is unbelievable, the best light I ever had on any of my cars (E46s with stock new ZKW, stock new AL, halogen modded with Mini H1 projector, e82 stock and Acura MDX stock) and also comparing to what I see around on the roads. It’s not just pretty, it’s functional. I have few cars and can compare stock to slightly modified to extensively modified in various conditions (on and off road).

But, you don’t have to mod. It’s your choice. Especially butchering brand new headlight is not easy mentally.

I have a bunch of headlights and I am trying things, my next project will be installing G5-R projector in a ZKW housing I have laying around.

Cheers.

Nah, that's not what I'm talking about. It does make the light brighter that's for sure. But it changes how you see the environment. That's what I mean when I say, it's how you want to use the light. When you have a sharp cutoff and bright light on one side, what happens is that the dark side becomes really dark. You eyes have a harder time adjusting to everything outside the light. If you have the same bright light, and have a soft cutoff, you actually see a bit more off the cutoff because of the transition being gradual.

People just don't understand how to use light. They just see bright, wide, pretty cutoff and are like OMG this is the best. For the most part it's fine. Until you are in a situation where the light is actually working against you.

But as far as swapping the clear lens, I would totally recommend though. It's fairly easy to do. You already have the parts, no brainer imo. It does make the cutoff slightly sharper, but it's fine. Modding the cutoff for color though, it's up to you. it doesn't add anything useful. If anything, it just annoys other drivers/pedestrians lol

The G5-R projector is a pretty nice projector. It's most similar to the Bosch/AL projectors in that they like to throw the light farther down the road than they are wide. Of course, it's way better than the Bosch/AL projectors with it being newer and all. I need to get on with my retrofit too. But I keep changing the projectors I want lol Will never get that done lol

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Nah, that's not what I'm talking about. It does make the light brighter that's for sure. But it changes how you see the environment. That's what I mean when I say, it's how you want to use the light. When you have a sharp cutoff and bright light on one side, what happens is that the dark side becomes really dark. You eyes have a harder time adjusting to everything outside the light. If you have the same bright light, and have a soft cutoff, you actually see a bit more off the cutoff because of the transition being gradual.

People just don't understand how to use light. They just see bright, wide, pretty cutoff and are like OMG this is the best. For the most part it's fine. Until you are in a situation where the light is actually working against you.

But as far as swapping the clear lens, I would totally recommend though. It's fairly easy to do. You already have the parts, no brainer imo. It does make the cutoff slightly sharper, but it's fine. Modding the cutoff for color though, it's up to you. it doesn't add anything useful. If anything, it just annoys other drivers/pedestrians lol

The G5-R projector is a pretty nice projector. It's most similar to the Bosch/AL projectors in that they like to throw the light farther down the road than they are wide. Of course, it's way better than the Bosch/AL projectors with it being newer and all. I need to get on with my retrofit too. But I keep changing the projectors I want lol Will never get that done lol
    I understand what you mean by environment, I get it, but I do not experience any loss of visibility into sides or upfront, I can see plenty, I would say more than before but that’s subjective.

Here is one more, AL with ZKW lens on the left, and AL with ZKW lens AND modded for better cutoff on the right. Both with xenarcs 6000. You can see crappy cut off in original and an area of blue intensity, I wanted to make it more universal. It does not affect functionality as far as I can tell, and I like it more.

As far as blinding others... that might be an issue, I make sure headlights are aligned properly or you get a lot of angry yobs.

I understand what you mean by environment, I get it, but I do not experience any loss of visibility into sides or upfront, I can see plenty, I would say more than before but that’s subjective.

Here is one more, AL with ZKW lens on the left, and AL with ZKW lens AND modded for better cutoff on the right. Both with xenarcs 6000. You can see crappy cut off in original and an area of blue intensity, I wanted to make it more universal. It does not affect functionality as far as I can tell, and I like it more.

As far as blinding others... that might be an issue, I make sure headlights are aligned properly or you get a lot of angry yobs.

The RV shield is there to reduce the blue light over the cutoff and reduce the glare coming from the center. That's why you see the blue off to the sides of the cutoff. So I mean even if they are properly aimed, they would still blind oncoming drivers lol If you're aiming them even lower, then it defeats the whole purpose of the mod in the first place. You can see some glare in your picture on the right side. Did you cut the RV shield or bend it down? I actually take the time to drill it out, cut the shield then flatten it and reattach it. I find that it reduces the glare the comes out of the little squirrel hole in the middle.

I don't really need to see pictures of the cutoffs. I mean I have done these mods lol I know exactly what they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    The RV shield is there to reduce the blue light over the cutoff and reduce the glare coming from the center. That's why you see the blue off to the sides of the cutoff. So I mean even if they are properly aimed, they would still blind oncoming drivers lol If you're aiming them even lower, then it defeats the whole purpose of the mod in the first place. You can see some glare in your picture on the right side. Did you cut the RV shield or bend it down? I actually take the time to drill it out, cut the shield then flatten it and reattach it. I find that it reduces the glare the comes out of the little squirrel hole in the middle.

I don't really need to see pictures of the cutoffs. I mean I have done these mods lol I know exactly what they look like.
    I drill them out, cut flat and reattach using rivets

I just did this swap on the passenger side. I also had an alignment issue, and a huge gap with the turn signal. Was about to call it a day, but decided to unscrew everything and try to fit the headlight again. It worked, but the rear screw had to be left off.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I just did this swap on the passenger side. I also had an alignment issue, and a huge gap with the turn signal. Was about to call it a day, but decided to unscrew everything and try to fit the headlight again. It worked, but the rear screw had to be left off.
    The misaligned turn signal is typically because you missed a slot for it in the headlight. Look at the headlight carefully there are placed for turn signal. Easily can be seen if fitted both off the car.

The misaligned turn signal is typically because you missed a slot for it in the headlight. Look at the headlight carefully there are placed for turn signal. Easily can be seen if fitted both off the car.
    +1

That's the main takeaway. First part is to make sure the headlight portion is seated properly.

Replacing ZKW bi-xenon with Magneti Marelli (aka AL) headlight assembly

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    That's the main takeaway. First part is to make sure the headlight portion is seated properly.
    There's not much to do here. The headlight assembly slides in and is secured by 4 screws (two on top and two underneath the headlight lens)... the corner light should fit once the headlight assembly has been secured.

Of course you can keep the four screws loose on the headlight assembly, slide the corner light in place then tighten the four screws on the headlight assembly to secure it and then take out the corner light so you can reinstall the lower headlight trim back in place and then reinstall the corner light again.

I myself have never had to do it any other way than slide in the headlight assembly and secure the four screws, reinsert the lower headlight trim and then slide in the corner light and secure it.

This is a relatively simple process in my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345