Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 45 of 45

Thread: Replacing ZKW bi-xenon with Magneti Marelli (aka AL) headlight assembly

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by AM1GO View Post
    Seen it before, 2 times, factory xenon and no washers, strange initially as I thought all factory xenon mandating washers.

    So 7 bolts total (corner light, 4 to take off headlight and 2 for the bracket). Can be done in 10-15 mins. Careful with the strip underneath the headlight, easy to brake the tabs as they are brittle due to age.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Headlight washers are part of the cold weather package - thatís the only way to get them. You can have heated seats and no cold weather also. But, cold weather gets you headlight washers, heated seats, ski pass though and something else, maybe fold down rear seats?

    Also, Xenons were an option also. So, you could have cold weather, but no Xenon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    í05 OrientBlau ZHP - fun
    í19 RAM 1500 Laramie - mine
    í13 MB ML350 - wifes

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by AM1GO View Post
    Yes, there are such theories, but in this instance I know exactly what I am doing. I already did 4 other sets (MM/AL), this is the last one. Light improvement is unbelievable, the best light I ever had on any of my cars (E46s with stock new ZKW, stock new AL, halogen modded with Mini H1 projector, e82 stock and Acura MDX stock) and also comparing to what I see around on the roads. Itís not just pretty, itís functional. I have few cars and can compare stock to slightly modified to extensively modified in various conditions (on and off road).

    But, you donít have to mod. Itís your choice. Especially butchering brand new headlight is not easy mentally.

    I have a bunch of headlights and I am trying things, my next project will be installing G5-R projector in a ZKW housing I have laying around.

    Cheers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nah, that's not what I'm talking about. It does make the light brighter that's for sure. But it changes how you see the environment. That's what I mean when I say, it's how you want to use the light. When you have a sharp cutoff and bright light on one side, what happens is that the dark side becomes really dark. You eyes have a harder time adjusting to everything outside the light. If you have the same bright light, and have a soft cutoff, you actually see a bit more off the cutoff because of the transition being gradual.

    People just don't understand how to use light. They just see bright, wide, pretty cutoff and are like OMG this is the best. For the most part it's fine. Until you are in a situation where the light is actually working against you.

    But as far as swapping the clear lens, I would totally recommend though. It's fairly easy to do. You already have the parts, no brainer imo. It does make the cutoff slightly sharper, but it's fine. Modding the cutoff for color though, it's up to you. it doesn't add anything useful. If anything, it just annoys other drivers/pedestrians lol

    The G5-R projector is a pretty nice projector. It's most similar to the Bosch/AL projectors in that they like to throw the light farther down the road than they are wide. Of course, it's way better than the Bosch/AL projectors with it being newer and all. I need to get on with my retrofit too. But I keep changing the projectors I want lol Will never get that done lol

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Nah, that's not what I'm talking about. It does make the light brighter that's for sure. But it changes how you see the environment. That's what I mean when I say, it's how you want to use the light. When you have a sharp cutoff and bright light on one side, what happens is that the dark side becomes really dark. You eyes have a harder time adjusting to everything outside the light. If you have the same bright light, and have a soft cutoff, you actually see a bit more off the cutoff because of the transition being gradual.

    People just don't understand how to use light. They just see bright, wide, pretty cutoff and are like OMG this is the best. For the most part it's fine. Until you are in a situation where the light is actually working against you.

    But as far as swapping the clear lens, I would totally recommend though. It's fairly easy to do. You already have the parts, no brainer imo. It does make the cutoff slightly sharper, but it's fine. Modding the cutoff for color though, it's up to you. it doesn't add anything useful. If anything, it just annoys other drivers/pedestrians lol

    The G5-R projector is a pretty nice projector. It's most similar to the Bosch/AL projectors in that they like to throw the light farther down the road than they are wide. Of course, it's way better than the Bosch/AL projectors with it being newer and all. I need to get on with my retrofit too. But I keep changing the projectors I want lol Will never get that done lol
    I understand what you mean by environment, I get it, but I do not experience any loss of visibility into sides or upfront, I can see plenty, I would say more than before but thatís subjective.

    Here is one more, AL with ZKW lens on the left, and AL with ZKW lens AND modded for better cutoff on the right. Both with xenarcs 6000. You can see crappy cut off in original and an area of blue intensity, I wanted to make it more universal. It does not affect functionality as far as I can tell, and I like it more.

    As far as blinding others... that might be an issue, I make sure headlights are aligned properly or you get a lot of angry yobs.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by AM1GO View Post
    I understand what you mean by environment, I get it, but I do not experience any loss of visibility into sides or upfront, I can see plenty, I would say more than before but that’s subjective.

    Here is one more, AL with ZKW lens on the left, and AL with ZKW lens AND modded for better cutoff on the right. Both with xenarcs 6000. You can see crappy cut off in original and an area of blue intensity, I wanted to make it more universal. It does not affect functionality as far as I can tell, and I like it more.

    As far as blinding others... that might be an issue, I make sure headlights are aligned properly or you get a lot of angry yobs.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The RV shield is there to reduce the blue light over the cutoff and reduce the glare coming from the center. That's why you see the blue off to the sides of the cutoff. So I mean even if they are properly aimed, they would still blind oncoming drivers lol If you're aiming them even lower, then it defeats the whole purpose of the mod in the first place. You can see some glare in your picture on the right side. Did you cut the RV shield or bend it down? I actually take the time to drill it out, cut the shield then flatten it and reattach it. I find that it reduces the glare the comes out of the little squirrel hole in the middle.

    I don't really need to see pictures of the cutoffs. I mean I have done these mods lol I know exactly what they look like.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    The RV shield is there to reduce the blue light over the cutoff and reduce the glare coming from the center. That's why you see the blue off to the sides of the cutoff. So I mean even if they are properly aimed, they would still blind oncoming drivers lol If you're aiming them even lower, then it defeats the whole purpose of the mod in the first place. You can see some glare in your picture on the right side. Did you cut the RV shield or bend it down? I actually take the time to drill it out, cut the shield then flatten it and reattach it. I find that it reduces the glare the comes out of the little squirrel hole in the middle.

    I don't really need to see pictures of the cutoffs. I mean I have done these mods lol I know exactly what they look like.
    I drill them out, cut flat and reattach using rivets


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-28-2020, 06:19 PM
  2. Replies: 111
    Last Post: 08-28-2020, 11:55 AM
  3. WTB: Coupe Passenger Headlight Assembly
    By ziazhp in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2018, 10:59 PM
  4. WTB : OEM Headlight Assembly's
    By bmwMD in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2016, 11:46 AM
  5. FS: ZKW Bi-Xenon Passenger (Right) Headlight Assembly (Not Currently Working)
    By quikryptonite in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •