Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I guess I got lucky and now everything seems to fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 330i E46 with ZHP performance package and cold weather package

At this point I really thought I was home free, but not to be.

Turns out there is something about the MM/AL headlight that is causing a 3/8” gap on the outside than the ZKW headlight. I do not know if it is an actual headlight assembly size difference or an installation issue.

The turn signal on the driver side (where the original ZKW light is still there) fits tightly against the headlight

But on the passenger side, once I got everything back together, there is a significant gap between the headlight and turn signal, and there is nothing I can do about it.

I tried loosening the headlight bolts to shift the assembly to the left but there was no “give”. The gap cannot be closed.

Not really happy about this at all but it is what it is.

Last edited by dpark; 08-23-2020 at 04:48 PM.

So here is the finished photos from the front.

The gap really can’t be seen if you don’t look for it but it will drive me crazy for a while.

I didn’t replace the headlight washer cover yet as my anal-retentive nature may make me try again to close the gap even though I am pretty sure there is no hope.

Last two photos to compare to the Clemsone46 fix.

The MM/AL assembly definitely puts out more light especially with the Osram bulb.

And the light on the road is even better than before.

The headlights really fills out the road (compare it with the photo from my other thread) and the irregularities from the repaired burnt bowls are no longer visible even though one of the headlights is still ZKW because of the brightness and width of the MM/AL light with the Osram bulb.

So now on the lookout for the matching driver side assembly if I can get it for a good price.

If someone is interested in buying my ZKW passenger side headlight with the Clemsone46 bowls send me a PM, but I was planning on waiting until I replaced my driver side and could sell a matching pair.

Nice work! That difference in light output is surprisingly substantial!

Thanks for documenting so thoroughly and sharing with us.

Dang what an effort! I became less and less amped up about doing something similar the more i scrolled through your posts LOL. Either way nice work, crazy that people buying new vehicles are getting more light output than that from factory, I’ve adjusted to having my fogs on at all times and wearing glasses at night

2004 BMW 330i TiAg ZHP/// 6MT(purchased from forum 6/06/16);
    KONI Yellows | Akebono Brake Pads | ECIS cold air intake system;
    Hotchkis Sport sway bar | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber front strut brace
    Vibrant Performance Muffler | Coby Wheel Tri-Stitch steering wheel & shift boot
    Michelin PSS | Blizzak WS-80

Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    So the new issue is that there is a “box” protrusion on the MM/AL light and it is built into the headlight and interferes with a plastic “shield and skid plate” that protects the headlight washer.

By feeling around under the assembly from where the turn signal should be, I determined/hoped that I could “cut away” enough plastic to allow the headlight to properly fit.

I marked the area with masking tape.

There was nothing underneath the plastic where the blue tape is so I decided to break out the dremel tool and start carving away.

The material I removed was quite a bit.

Not the cleanest job, but it got the job done.

I think the bracket that was removed from the new headlights should have been replaced with the bracket that you dremeled. It's easier to remove the bracket fron the car, attach to the headlight and reinstall. This may be causing the fitment issues.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

Quote Originally Posted by PdZHP View Post
    I think the bracket that was removed from the new headlights should have been replaced with the bracket that you dremeled. It's easier to remove the bracket fron the car, attach to the headlight and reinstall. This may be causing the fitment issues.
    Aha! Did not even consider this path!

Not too hard off a task to try that out assuming I can figure out how to remove the existing bracket that protects the unused headlight washer without breaking something.

IIRC, there is wiring that does connect to the existing ZKW bracket near the front where I stopped dremeling. I am not sure how much play there is to take it out to connect to the MM assembly.

A project for next weekend...

Interesting! Thx for the detail.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

So of course AFTER I did my swap, I found several posts on mafia detailing the same issues I went through

Like this one: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...t-modification

Doing exactly what I did, dremeling out plastic from the ZKW mounting bracket to make the MM/AL headlight assembly fit properly.

However, no one else seemed to complain about the gap between the assembly and the turn signal. I wonder if it is just me and how I installed the MM/AL assembly. I did try to "shift" it to the left (passenger side) to close the gap but could not get it to move the 3/8" necessary to fit flush against the turn signal.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast