Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rear Trunk Carpet Trimming for Coilovers

Searched but couldn't find a whole lot... I'm looking for ideas on how to cut the rear trunk carpet sides cleanly, for easy access to coilover adjusters.

Option 1 (credits to rkneeshaw on E46F, this is from his post): cut holes, then trim with rubber edge trim

Option 2: cut a circular hole, then cap with something like this from McMaster. Thing is, not sure if these are sold at local hardware stores, and it won't sit flush if not against a flat surface.

Just want to see what others have done, before I go ahead and chop mine up
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

The cleanest & quietest option would be instead of a hole, cut a flap that you can open when you want to make an adjustment, then smooth closed. This stuff is hardy enough to do it.

Or just remove all the carpets for weight reduction.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    The cleanest & quietest option would be instead of a hole, cut a flap that you can open when you want to make an adjustment, then smooth closed. This stuff is hardy enough to do it.
    Yeah, also posted this over at NAM3F and they're saying the same thing, might go with that. Bonus is that I don't need to buy the 18 ft roll of edge trim, only to barely use 1 ft of it

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Or just remove all the carpets for weight reduction.
    lol, maybe one day if my car turns into a dedicated track car. Trying to keep it nice for the streets! Though I did drive around with all the interior past the rear seats removed for a bit when I did my Vincebar:

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Yeah, also posted this over at NAM3F and they're saying the same thing, might go with that. Bonus is that I don't need to buy the 18 ft roll of edge trim, only to barely use 1 ft of it
    You could split a larger diameter fuel hose or vacuum line to use as edge trim.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    You could split a larger diameter fuel hose or vacuum line to use as edge trim.

​ Just got around to taking some pics of what I've done, it's not perfect but it still works. The right side is slightly rearwards but is still fine, but damn I should've cut the left side higher. I could still get to the adjuster but it was pretty tight so I had to make 2 relief cuts for a 2nd flap on top. All in all, not the end of the world since it's still pretty stealth, but I'd definitely recommend taking multiple measurements before cutting.

​​

Looks good!

2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Looks good man! If it really bothers you and you want to redo it, you can always grab the liners from any shitbox e46 in a junkyard. These cars are old so all the yards are flush with em nowadays.

I'm actually going to try to find one from a coupe that wasn't prewired for hk or a cd changer -- they allow for a nice boost in trunk space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast