Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Installing a Hitch on the ZHP

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    NH - The Live Free or Die State
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Like...bicycle bike? If so, couldn't you pick up a cheap trunk mounted rack?

    Gotta take the drop top to the beach, bro...
    Yes a bike, my Trek 2.1. Rides along the coastline from Hampton to Portsmouth NH are fantastic in the vert, amazing views of the New England shoreline, but it's also an awesome 35 mile bike ride....

    But I've always hated those trunk mount contraptions.... yet alone fear of scratching something, so, yes the vert wins and goes to the beach, and the bike stays home

    Here's some pictures of me with my cloaking body suit turned on
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Pete


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9,695
    Nice bike!

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    Yes a bike, my Trek 2.1. Rides along the coastline from Hampton to Portsmouth NH are fantastic in the vert, amazing views of the New England shoreline, but it's also an awesome 35 mile bike ride....

    But I've always hated those trunk mount contraptions.... yet alone fear of scratching something, so, yes the vert wins and goes to the beach, and the bike stays home

    Here's some pictures of me with my cloaking body suit turned on
    Are you in Australia?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    13
    Hey guys. I'm a cyclist who has the Westfalia hitch on my E46 wagon. Bike rack mounting is a no go, as there's no receiver like US spec hitches have for US spec bike racks to mount to, and the Westfalia bike racks are obscenely expensive even when they're not made out of European unobtanium because Euro regulations require them to have lighting systems and plate mounts and everything so that there's no obstruction of the car's lights.
    I put my bikes on the roof rack.

    I have M-Tech II kit on my car, there's a unique diffuser that has a removable flap for the tow bar for use with the hitch - 51127893074 (the flap is included with the diffuser, you don't have to order it separately as RealOEM would lead you to believe) - but you can just remove the diffuser as a whole if you don't trailer frequently.

    If you look closely at the illustrations of the OEM hitch and the Westfalia one in the beginning of this thread you might notice that they look very similar, that's because they're the same hitch. Westfalia manufactured it for BMW.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
    If you look closely at the illustrations of the OEM hitch and the Westfalia one in the beginning of this thread you might notice that they look very similar, that's because they're the same hitch. Westfalia manufactured it for BMW.
    This is awesome info, and likely saved me a lot of headache. Does it also come with the defuser for the M-Tech II kit, and I can keep my stock defuser without having to saw into it?

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    I went with this hitch total came out to $515. It's a great kit.

    Attachment 37259

    https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...product=303230
    What did you do for electrical/lighting with this?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,613
    I think I went with a generic 4 pole trailer adapter kit from Walmart or autozone or something. It was like 20-30 dollars from what I recall.
    https://www.etrailer.com/p-HM48925.h...model=3+Series

    Originally I wanted to go with the pdc system disable from schmiedmann however that added up quick in cost. Also there is a black friday sale now for the hitch so take advantage of that.

    Attached is the hitch order I made. I inquired on a estimate for other stuff from schmiedmann however didn't go with. Name:  Screenshot_20201202-062304.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  59.1 KBName:  Screenshot_20201202-062012~2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  42.2 KBName:  Screenshot_20201202-062002~2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  52.1 KBName:  Screenshot_20201202-061026.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  55.8 KBName:  Screenshot_20201202-061010.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  49.4 KB

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk






    Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens


  8. #18
    That looks like what I have in my cart. Total is $600 + Shipping brings it to $850 o_O

    I don’t have PDC, so I don’t think I need that? Is there an OEM wiring solution for the trailers? I fucked up the lights on my other car tapping into the lights.

    Yeah skipping the unnecessary PDC wiring solution brings it down to a reasonable $660.

    By my calculation, based on the formula provided in the instruction manual, the hitch would give a towing capacity of a little under 7000 lbs!
    Last edited by Fried_Chicken; 12-02-2020 at 09:28 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,613
    There is no oem solution. I actually cut my wires and soldered everything together with the etrailer kit.

    I have the pdc system and actually didn't get the pdc wiring.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk






    Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens


  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    This is awesome info, and likely saved me a lot of headache. Does it also come with the defuser for the M-Tech II kit, and I can keep my stock defuser without having to saw into it?
    I bought the part number for the diffuser in my post - 51127893074 - from the dealer. No need to cut your diffuser, this one takes its place and you take the flap out to mount the tow bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    What did you do for electrical/lighting with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    That looks like what I have in my cart. Total is $600 + Shipping brings it to $850 o_O

    I don’t have PDC, so I don’t think I need that? Is there an OEM wiring solution for the trailers? I fucked up the lights on my other car tapping into the lights.

    Yeah skipping the unnecessary PDC wiring solution brings it down to a reasonable $660.

    By my calculation, based on the formula provided in the instruction manual, the hitch would give a towing capacity of a little under 7000 lbs!
    I used the same Curt wiring kit as Tnhl1989. Don't bother at all with the Euro wiring kits as they won't connect to any trailers here in NA, they use completely different standards. Make sure to tap into your CHMSL for brake signal to the controller since our LCMs PWM the same lamps for tail lights and brake and it won't send a signal that the trailer light controller can work with for brake lights. Unfortunately, since there's no tie in to the car's systems apart from lighting, my PDC just gives a long tone whenever I reverse and there's nothing to be done about that.

    I think your kg to lbs conversion is a little off there, this hitch is rated at 3800lbs total, 176lbs tongue weight, and that's assuming that you have brakes on your trailer. I wouldn't figure on towing cars with this rig unless it's something like a Miata on an aluminum trailer, with an electronic brake controller added.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Need help installing PA Soft
    By webster in forum BMW Coding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-20-2017, 07:11 PM
  2. Installing Headers on the ZHP
    By NickZHP in forum Performance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-26-2015, 08:03 AM
  3. Installing new ///M Pedals
    By Johnd in forum DIY
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-26-2015, 07:05 PM
  4. Need help installing sidemarkers!
    By 328ioc in forum Lighting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM
  5. Installing amp and sub
    By HokieZHP in forum Audio | In Car Entertainment (ICE)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 03:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •