Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    pls delete
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

Rabbit hole continues.

I got off the phone with Reese, but I think the poor lady was a bit confused.

A recommendation from e46fanatics is the Hopkins 46255, but under the reviews, a search for "BMW" yields mixed bags.

I will keep researching. eTrailer gives a confirmed fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    $$$! I'd rather fab up a square receiver adapter, then spend $100 on a cheaper hitch rack

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    This is what I did all through COVID.
    Ha. I have it down to a rhythm now. Carbon frame makes it quick and easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    Rabbit hole continues.

I got off the phone with Reese, but I think the poor lady was a bit confused.

A recommendation from e46fanatics is the Hopkins 46255, but under the reviews, a search for "BMW" yields mixed bags.

I will keep researching. eTrailer gives a confirmed fit.
    Any kind of converter should work, I'd recommend powered. Then you would have to tap into your tail light harness (pinout is probably different for sedan than coupe, though)

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

I think you're underestimating the quality of these Westfalia products. Tbh I'm a bit blown away by the engineering and thoughtfulness that went into this. If their bike carriers are anything like their hitches (and they likely are), they're well worth the money!

Also I ordered the hopkins powered converter from amazon. Unfortunately it won't be here until Monday. I ordered "Used like new". If it's somehow broken, I will legit lose my shit.

I don't think the quality is the issue, it's the total cost. Probably the same reason you purchased it overseas and brought it back in your luggage. Those bike rack are nice but sure are expensive when you include shipping.

I also purchased a used Westfalia hitch for my touring from Schmiedmannb for a great total price. I have not started the install because I want to figure out how to install a 2" receiver as well. Hopefully get that project started soon and start with a hitch like the eBay one below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35101152669...mis&media=COPY

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

Seems like I should just do like before and look for a used Westfalia bike rack from Germany! I'm in no rush with 1 light road bike, but just handy to have

So I'd initially assumed the Westfalia racks had the same quick-release interface, when in fact they just mount on the existing 50 mm ball. Which in this case opens up a variety of options such as this one from Thule: https://youtu.be/CbDgYju_nbY

Well, the stars aligned and I found this one in Utah - it seems these ones that mount to the hitch ball are only available in Europe so I got super lucky. Price wasn't too bad either!

Great find!

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

Quote Originally Posted by PdZHP View Post
    I don't think the quality is the issue, it's the total cost. Probably the same reason you purchased it overseas and brought it back in your luggage. Those bike rack are nice but sure are expensive when you include shipping.

I also purchased a used Westfalia hitch for my touring from Schmiedmannb for a great total price. I have not started the install because I want to figure out how to install a 2" receiver as well. Hopefully get that project started soon and start with a hitch like the eBay one below.
    The Westfalia (and other European hitches) use a 50mm hitch system, 0.8mm short of the 2" hitch system we have here. I will simply use it as a 2" hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Well, the stars aligned and I found this one in Utah - it seems these ones that mount to the hitch ball are only available in Europe so I got super lucky. Price wasn't too bad either!

Congrats! It seems weird to me that they just clamp onto the ball, but that's what I've seen in the past.

Regarding the cost of the hitch: yes it's expensive, but having now seen the quality, I wouldn't mind purchasing something like this new. It is worth the money IMO.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast