Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Installing a Hitch on the ZHP

I am finally getting rid of my beloved 1998 Volvo S90, a car built like no other car today. Luxury through integrity. The last of the original swedish volvos. Bulletproof straight-6 engine, hand-stitched leather seats, a heater capable of nuclear fusion, just an awesome awesome awesome car without needless complexities. Omg I’m going to miss this car so much.

In its last days she served as my beater tow-mobile. The only car with a hitch for all hitching needs. Now she’s going, it’s up to the ZHP to pick up the slack.

What are the best options for a ZHP hitch? I have a Sedan, 6spd MT. What about the wiring for the lights?

I did a little bit of research, I did find this: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...er-for-the-ZHP!

and this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PIIGZU...ype=automotive

But in that old thread there are no specifics about the hitch, only the trailer.

I’m going to miss the Volvo, and all cars that were built properly. Fuck.

Here is the volvo: https://i.postimg.cc/CYYFRH09/DSC-5725.jpg

I went with this hitch total came out to $515. It's a great kit.

Name:  image_32689_big.jpg
Views: 2655
Size:  74.6 KB

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...product=303230

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Does it require sawing into the rear bumper/defuser?

I just ended up removing the diffuser they do offer a piece to cover up the diffuser as well. Really your call.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

I did some digging. According to this guy, BMW did make a tow hitch for the e46 generation that attaches to the main bumper.

He refers to the following part:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...80#71606767756

This would be the best solution, and would conceivably give the ZHP massive towing capability >:D

Here is a link to the part (I think) on realoem.

I need to keep researching this. The ZHP engine, manual transmission, brakes, and tires, would make it a pretty excellent tow car.

More research, this time in the Vaterland. The Germany word for trailer hitch is Anhängerkupplung.

In Germany they seem to use this guy: https://www.amazon.de/Westfalia-Abne...0407994&sr=8-3

And it appears there is this OEM BMW one being sold on this website:
    https://www.hubauer-shop.de/de/anhae...606767756.html

There is an asterisk here: "Auch passend für Aerodynamikpakete, Rahmen und Klappe für Aerodynamikpakete nicht im Satz enthalten!"
    translated: "Also works for cars equipped with the aerodynamic package, however the frame and flap for the aerodynamic is not included with this kit!". Not sure what that means. I might give them a call and ask. This would be a pretty cool solution, although I'm not sure if the European balls work here in the U.S.

More research required.

Found a couple more options: https://www.kupplung.de/anhaengerkup...gerkupplungen/

These seem to offer towing capacities of up to 4,300 pounds with a tongue weight of 165 pounds.

That hitch is pretty much what I have on my car. I towed a 4-5 ft trailer with roughly about 1500lbs of stuff across country through a blizzard and up the down the hills of denver. Pretty much replaces the rear bumper frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    I'm not sure if the European balls work here in the U.S.
    Interesting.... thanks for the research. I've thought about looking in to this too

I like to bike when my wife and I go to the beach, but always leave the ZHP convertible home because it doesn't have a tow hitch for my bike rack. But $500 to $600 seems too steep for me to have that convenience instead of just taking one of my SUV's

Did some research too though, and it appears the standard ball size in Europe is 50mm, or 1.9685". Seems like that's close enough to our 2" used here in the states, but I'd like to hear a trailer expert confirm that would be safe!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    That hitch is pretty much what I have on my car. I towed a 4-5 ft trailer with roughly about 1500lbs of stuff across country through a blizzard and up the down the hills of denver. Pretty much replaces the rear bumper frame.

Indeed it is! I really want to preserve my defuser, and not have to cut into it. Unfortunately that asterisk on the Stahl OEM hitch suggests a flap is needed (to cover the whole you cut into the defuser?!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    Interesting.... thanks for the research. I've thought about looking in to this too

I like to bike when my wife and I go to the beach, but always leave the ZHP convertible home because it doesn't have a tow hitch for my bike rack. But $500 to $600 seems too steep for me to have that convenience instead of just taking one of my SUV's

Did some research too though, and it appears the standard ball size in Europe is 50mm, or 1.9685". Seems like that's close enough to our 2" used here in the states, but I'd like to hear a trailer expert confirm that would be safe!
    I would imagine that 1.97” vs 2” won’t be the end of the world. My concern would be the u-haul guy saying “no no no no, I need to see it say class XXX”. Also the electrical connection being compatible with the u.s. system

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post

Like...bicycle bike? If so, couldn't you pick up a cheap trunk mounted rack?

Gotta take the drop top to the beach, bro...

Here is the hitch installation and installed on my car.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uJxJTGS7htG3hBSK6

You also do need to cut into the rear reinforcement bar as well for clearance when installing. So angle grinder or cut off wheel is needed. The only point of my trip I had issues with was when I was at a 55 degree incline or something when stopped and had to really try to not roll backwards.

Name:  00000IMG_00000_BURST20190212050722853_COVER.jpg
Views: 2682
Size:  354.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190203_172658.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  384.9 KB

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast