Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

AC compressor leak?

I've been watching a small yellow/greenish leak from the AC compressor since I bought my car in the spring. Initially the leak was very small and intermittent, but yesterday I noticed quite a bit more accumulation (see photo).

A/C still blows cold, although it occasionally makes an odd whooshing/pulsing sound when starting up. I've noticed this since purchase.

As far as I know, everything is stock, although the PO had the system recharged ~ a year ago.

Couple of questions:
    - Is this usually caused by the compressor failing or are there other possible explanations?
    - How urgent is it to resolve the issue? I.e. should I do something preventatively or wait until something breaks?
    - Is a DIY possible or is this one to leave to the pros? Re: my skill level, I've done all my fluids, cooling system refresh, and suspension refresh but am otherwise learning as I go

Thanks in advance for any guidance and suggestions.

Name:  IMG_2164.png
Views: 1066
Size:  525.0 KB
    2003 330i ZHP | Schwarz 2 | Alcantara & Cloth | Black Cube | Slicktop | 6MT

Bump. Any thoughts on my AC leak?

Sorry jlodge,

I'm really not familiar with the AC system and common failure points. I have only ever had my AC serviced by a mechanic with the appropriate equipment. Someone here probably has a better idea.

Thanks, @BMWCurves. Appreciate the response!

I did notice a bit of residue on mine, looking similar to yours but not quite as bad. Honestly, I've just been topping-off, using 1 small R134a can every summer, which keeps the air cold. Been doing this for a few years now with no issues, and it's cheap at $20/can
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Glad that's been working for you @t.er. Sometimes a small bit of hassle / maintenance is better than fixing the real problem!

In this case, I was under the impression that the yellow substance is oil from the compressor. Anyone spent enough time with the AC system to weigh in?

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    I did notice a bit of residue on mine, looking similar to yours but not quite as bad. Honestly, I've just been topping-off, using 1 small R134a can every summer, which keeps the air cold. Been doing this for a few years now with no issues, and it's cheap at $20/can
    Be very careful doing that. I blew up my AC system and ended up in a world of hurt getting it fixed.

The greenish fluid is meant to show leaks (although I've never seen that much of it leak!)
    You can use this to find the leak and that should put you on the right path.