Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Posted the Craigslist link on this website a short while back.

A couple guys were interested but it looks like you got it before I could look at it for them
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Looking into the burnt ZKW Xenon headlights is making my head spin.

Is there a projector retrofit kit that is any good? If not, the only reasonable option is the clemsone46 recoated bowls? Does the e90 metal bowl swap have any merit. I have only dismantled halogen E46 lights before, so my knowledge of this xenon issue is close to zero. I will keep digging of course, but finding lots of contradicting info already..
    '05 ZHP 6MT Sedan, '05 M3 6MT Coupe, '03 325i ZSP 5MT Touring and a few other BMWs

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    Posted the Craigslist link on this website a short while back.

A couple guys were interested but it looks like you got it before I could look at it for them
    I did respond to that thread. Yeah, I first contacted the guy about 1 day after it was first listed - 10/1. But then he didn't respond - said later he had a personal issue delay his ability to respond. So I reached out again on 10/4 and got him on the phone. After getting a feel for the guy and the car we arranged a deal and price on the phone based on his description of the condition. He was very honest and trustworthy and it was a smooth transaction. Someone had come to look at it previously and had passed. I was the second to come, but he said he had many inquiries in those 5 or 6 days before I picked it up. After missing several of these this summer I have learned to move a little faster to secure a decent deal. The only ones that sit around are either thrashed, or asking what I think is too much $$.

I missed one in Knoxville a week earlier that was sold for $3,500 with 158k on it, although the pictures suggested it was a little more rough. The seller said the buyer of that one trucked it to Atlanta. I was close on that one, but he sold it sight unseen before we could arrange me to look at it. The communication and pictures on that one weren't good enough for me to commit sight unseen.
    Last edited by malapane; 10-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    '05 ZHP 6MT Sedan, '05 M3 6MT Coupe, '03 325i ZSP 5MT Touring and a few other BMWs

Welcome! Nice looking car, but man that a-pillar in the 2nd pic has got to be one of the worst I've seen lol.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Welcome! Nice looking car, but man that a-pillar in the 2nd pic has got to be one of the worst I've seen lol.
    Thanks! My son loves black or dark blue with the natural brown, and those are pretty rare, so I was a little less selective as long as the mechanicals were solid.

I've salvaged worse, but the A pillars aren't good. It has never had tint and the last 5 summers it has been outside. Luckily the rear seats haven't been damaged at all yet. That is the next place to get scorched and that is much more difficult to remedy. I had one where the stitching on the rear headrests was so UV damaged that the thread gave way and the they started unraveling. Headliner is all good too except one small corner.

Welcome, and congrats on the car!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Welcome! Nice car and combo. Looks sharp!

For the Headlights, you can find New AL headlights by Magnetti Marelli (OEM) on eBay from time to time for $800ish for a set when they are on sale.

After back and forth with 3 different set of used AL's from other cars not a one of them was in that good of shape and I found that all of them had issues under the ballast with the wire insulation splitting/failing from the heat. I ended up just selling them all off and plan to buy new ones when I see them go back on sale.

CobyWheel also offers an Alcantara cover that you can re-wrap your worn arm rest yourself. I did this on mine and it came out great.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    - 2005 Titanium Silver 330i ZHP 6spd -

Quote Originally Posted by malapane View Post
    Thanks! All the years I have had E46s and not a xenon spec car until last year. The xenon headlights on my 03 touring are spectacular, so I figured there was something going on here.

I guess now I will have a new project to research on my list.
    Greetings neighbor

Some options for the xenon issue are:
    -Using a retrofit kit like this one. This will require some work, but the process has been documented a bit on forums: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...E46?quantity=1
    -Finding a used AL set
    -Buying a new AL set

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy_JZ View Post
    Welcome! Nice car and combo. Looks sharp!

For the Headlights, you can find New AL headlights by Magnetti Marelli (OEM) on eBay from time to time for $800ish for a set when they are on sale.

After back and forth with 3 different set of used AL's from other cars not a one of them was in that good of shape and I found that all of them had issues under the ballast with the wire insulation splitting/failing from the heat. I ended up just selling them all off and plan to buy new ones when I see them go back on sale.

CobyWheel also offers an Alcantara cover that you can re-wrap your worn arm rest yourself. I did this on mine and it came out great.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Thank you.

I am not sure I will go full headlight replacement quite yet. Probably something less costly until I get the rest of it sorted out a bit more.

Was the armrest originally alcantara too? Or would it have been black leather on a Natural Brown ZHP. My alcantara is just the steering wheel, shifter and e-brake boots.

I found a decent black leather armrest in my local junkyard on Friday and have a black leather cover being delivered today. I think I will rewrap the original armrest, clean up the junkyard one and see which looks better...

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Greetings neighbor

Some options for the xenon issue are:
    -Using a retrofit kit like this one. This will require some work, but the process has been documented a bit on forums: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...E46?quantity=1
    -Finding a used AL set
    -Buying a new AL set
    Hello neighbor!

I think I have narrowed it down to two options:
    Retrofit like the one you linked, or
    clemsone46 refurbished bowls

I would also be interested in swapping E90 metal ZKW bowls, but that likely seems difficult to source as E90 xenons probably aren't cheap either.

I have 2 concerns with the clemsone46 bowls, 1st the cost seems a bit high for refurbished plastic, and 2nd, seeing how bad some of these bowls are I wonder how well the geometry can be restored with the repair of the plastic.

For the retrofit, possibly the Mirimoto units aren't so great...? I have seen a few posts suggesting this. and I don't love having to drill the original headlight frame to fit them...

I have no hesitation with the job to fit either, just prefer a zero destruction method.

Are the AL units completely plug and play? Same mounting and wiring?

I am going to check the one local car in the junkyard. I assume it has halogens, but worth a look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast