Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    No interference with motor mount whatsoever.

I'm sharing your theory that the downpipes are pulling it away from the head. Again, the flanges at that end are pretty bad as far as alignment goes.

If it were you--would you try for another cheap eBay set or give up and go for something hopefully better (bimmerbrakes or AA maybe)?
    I cannot imagine another ebay set will fit any better. They're all shitty. My worry is that the threads in the head were already stripped enough to pull the studs out when you attached the catback section.

Ugh this is a tough spot. Can you try disconnecting the catback section, then re-snugging the nuts on the head flange? I'm really worried that they're toast, but it's worth a shot.

If you can do that and fire it up without leaks, then maybe you could cut through the piping in the catback section (like 6in after the flanges) and drive it to an exhaust shop like that and have them massage the pipes back to fitting.

That's really my only guess at this point. I'm super worried about the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    You can get some super high quality Schmiedmann headers for only $235: https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...ct=SCM5254MANI

The caveat is that you'd need a custom section to connect it to the existing exhaust. Alternatively, their high flow cat section bolts right up to those headers, and you can buy the full set here for a still very reasonable $641: https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...roduct=SCM5254
    I (of course) have a set of those headers in the garage! I bought them on sale and it came out to about $320 shipped. Really excited to mount them up and should be able to mate them to the rest of the exhaust by changing the flanges out for these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015KZL1M/

I was hot on their full system, but you have to do a lot of cutting/welding to make it work with the 6 speed and people still had a ton of fitment issues. Great reviews for the headers themselves, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I cannot imagine another ebay set will fit any better. They're all shitty. My worry is that the threads in the head were already stripped enough to pull the studs out when you attached the catback section.

Ugh this is a tough spot. Can you try disconnecting the catback section, then re-snugging the nuts on the head flange? I'm really worried that they're toast, but it's worth a shot.

If you can do that and fire it up without leaks, then maybe you could cut through the piping in the catback section (like 6in after the flanges) and drive it to an exhaust shop like that and have them massage the pipes back to fitting.

I (of course) have a set of those headers in the garage! I bought them on sale and it came out to about $320 shipped. Really excited to mount them up and should be able to mate them to the rest of the exhaust by changing the flanges out for these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015KZL1M/

I was hot on their full system, but you have to do a lot of cutting/welding to make it work with the 6 speed and people still had a ton of fitment issues. Great reviews for the headers themselves, though.
    I think my block has probably has had enough torqueing of these headers, I think I'm going to undo these, throw them out, and get a better set. I'm going to assume the threads in the block are okay still, no sense assuming the worst for now. I will get all new studs and nuts again when I replace the headers.
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

So will you be running without cats?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    So will you be running without cats?

Nah I picked up a 2in/2out cat to add downstream in a borla catback. I have two spun cats downstream of ebay headers on stock exhaust right now, but I think they're oversized for N/A.

Nah I picked up a 2in/2out cat to add downstream in a borla catback. I have two spun cats downstream of ebay headers on stock exhaust right now, but I think they're oversized for N/A.
    What is the 2in/2out cat you speak of?

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    What is the 2in/2out cat you speak of?

This one

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/9...ytic-converter

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    I think my block has probably has had enough torqueing of these headers, I think I'm going to undo these, throw them out, and get a better set. I'm going to assume the threads in the block are okay still, no sense assuming the worst for now. I will get all new studs and nuts again when I replace the headers.
    I keep thinking about this and if you haven't pulled them off yet, I'd suggest you run it again and try to confirm where the leak is. If it's from all-over the head connection then you have some serious issues. If it's just one or two spots then you may be able to snug those nuts down some more. Worth trying, especially if you can do it with the rest of the exhaust loose.

@san I was just bolting my exhaust back up and got some pics. I'll probably have to put the 2in/2out cat where the 1st muffler is, behind the transmission.

I keep thinking about this and if you haven't pulled them off yet, I'd suggest you run it again and try to confirm where the leak is. If it's from all-over the head connection then you have some serious issues. If it's just one or two spots then you may be able to snug those nuts down some more. Worth trying, especially if you can do it with the rest of the exhaust loose.

@san I was just bolting my exhaust back up and got some pics. I'll probably have to put the 2in/2out cat where the 1st muffler is, behind the transmission.

Appreciate the pics.

Every now and again I think of swapping the stock exhaust manifolds with some that are less restrictive but not without cats. So I’m quite intrigued by your project.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123