Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Turning heater on exploded my cooling system

  1. #1

    Turning heater on exploded my cooling system

    I pulled the two hoses going to the heater core off because I suspected the leak would be around there. No leak there.

    However, when I looked, the hose running sort of perpendicular underneath had completely come off from wherever itís supposed to be attached. For the life of me I canít figure out where that hose goes. It goes from the front, along the driverís side of the engine, then turns left towards the passenger side and into the engine or something.

    What hose is this? Can I reach it without taking the intake manifold off?

    [edit]

    Found the connector, hopefully I can reach it w/o taking off the intake manifold:

    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 4.08.02 PM.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  100.1 KB
    Last edited by Fried_Chicken; 10-27-2020 at 01:13 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    22841
    Posts
    9,641
    There are 2 hard plastic coolant lines under the intake manifold that eventually fail and leak. Unfortunately the intake manifold has to be removed to access them.

    Image below is showing the cooling system hoses.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

    His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

    Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

  3. #3
    That pic is perfect ^ ^

    Just got some clarity: The hose that broke is: 64218376999 or 64218376153. I’m not sure which one.

    Specifically the connector at the end broke so the hose is floppy. If I can remove it by hand (I can reach it by hand), I could replace the hose without having to take the intake manifold off. I plan on reworking the entire cooling system, but now is inconvenient for me. Was planning on doing that in ~30k miles. I see form the pic I could conceivably reach the clip. If I can pull the clip off, I should be golden.

    Is there any particular brand that isn’t prone becoming brittle and breaking like the OEM hoses are?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    22841
    Posts
    9,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    That pic is perfect ^ ^

    Just got some clarity: The hose that broke is: 64218376999 or 64218376153. Iím not sure which one.

    Specifically the connector at the end broke so the hose is floppy. If I can remove it by hand (I can reach it by hand), I could replace the hose without having to take the intake manifold off. I plan on reworking the entire cooling system, but now is inconvenient for me. Was planning on doing that in ~30k miles. I see form the pic I could conceivably reach the clip. If I can pull the clip off, I should be golden.

    Is there any particular brand that isnít prone becoming brittle and breaking like the OEM hoses are?
    Part number 64218376999 is the hose that connects to the hard coolant line under the intake manifold. The other end of it uses a hose clamp and connects to the heater valve control valve.

    Part number 64218376153 connects directly to the heater core on the firewall and goes to the expansion tank/bracket.

    Both hoses can be replaced without removing the intake manifold.

    As far as the plastic coolant lines, genuine bmw is the best option. There are other manufacturers that make them out of plastic but they don't fit/seal well to the engine.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

    His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

    Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Part number 64218376999 is the hose that connects to the hard coolant line under the intake manifold. The other end of it uses a hose clamp and connects to the heater valve control valve.

    Part number 64218376153 connects directly to the heater core on the firewall and goes to the expansion tank/bracket.

    Both hoses can be replaced without removing the intake manifold.

    As far as the plastic coolant lines, genuine bmw is the best option. There are other manufacturers that make them out of plastic but they don't fit/seal well to the engine.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

    64218376999 it is.

    I already ordered the part made by Elaplast, apparently they’re German OEM. Hopefully I can get it sorted and be on my merry way. For bleeding, I turn the heater on, fan on medium, park the car on an incline, leave the expansion tank open, and keep pumping fluid until the appropriate level is reached?
    Last edited by Fried_Chicken; 10-27-2020 at 04:51 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    22841
    Posts
    9,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    64218376999 it is.

    I already ordered the part from Elaplast, apparently theyíre German OEM. Hopefully I can get it sorted and be on my merry way. For bleeding, I turn the heater on, fan on medium, park the car on an incline, leave the expansion tank open, and keep pumping fluid until the appropriate level is reached?
    For bleeding procedure see below,

    Loosen the coolant expansion tank bleeder screw. Turn the ignition ON (do not start engine), set the temperature controls in vehicle interior to full warm and blower fan speed on low. Slowly fill the expansion tank until coolant level is at the top. Install coolant cap and start the engine. Run engine until coolant is coming out of the expansion tank bleeder screw and is free from bubbles. Once coolant is free of bubbles, tighten the expansion tank bleeder screw.

    Shut the engine OFF and allow it to cool. Check the coolant level in expansion tank. Top up coolant until level indicator is at MAX. Once at MAX, your cooling system is full.*

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

    His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

    Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    For bleeding procedure see below,

    Loosen the coolant expansion tank bleeder screw. Turn the ignition ON (do not start engine), set the temperature controls in vehicle interior to full warm and blower fan speed on low. Slowly fill the expansion tank until coolant level is at the top. Install coolant cap and start the engine. Run engine until coolant is coming out of the expansion tank bleeder screw and is free from bubbles. Once coolant is free of bubbles, tighten the expansion tank bleeder screw.

    Shut the engine OFF and allow it to cool. Check the coolant level in expansion tank. Top up coolant until level indicator is at MAX. Once at MAX, your cooling system is full.*

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Clear as day. Appreciate it. It was always a wild goose chase for me to properly bleed the system.

  8. #8
    Fixed!

    The old hose I had was a total PoS. Unfortunately I don’t know the company (I installed it 10 years ago or so when I did my whole cooling system).
    The new is by a company called Elaplast, and it fit beautifully, and had an o-ring (unlike the unknown old one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    17,523
    Glad that worked out.

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"


    ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, Ground Control Coilovers, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    The old hose I had was a total PoS. Unfortunately I don’t know the company (I installed it 10 years ago or so when I did my whole cooling system).
    !0 years is a good lifespan for a hose, POS or otherwise!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cooling System Refresh
    By Kimber in forum Maintenance
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-19-2018, 03:22 AM
  2. Cooling System Refresh
    By orange260z in forum General -- ZHP Related
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 09:43 AM
  3. Cooling System Issues
    By VaTechZHP in forum Maintenance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
  5. Cooling System Overhaul ?'s
    By kpro in forum Maintenance
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •