Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB: Aftermarket Front Sway Bar

As the title says, I'm looking for an aftermarket front sway bar/ARB. Something 29 mm diameter or more which is usually for the M3s. Top choices are hollow bars like Hotchkis or Ground Control. Thanks!
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Bump. Seems like front sways aren't too common of a part on the used market. Tempted to grab the ST front sway since it's by far the cheapest at $179. Right now it's on sale for $170 at AutoTalent but since the saving isn't much, tempted to wait a bit longer

The Eibach one is much cheaper, only $140 at BW right now: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...t-BMW-E46.html (would require a few months wait but since your car is in storage that shouldn't matter)

I have the full set and I love it. Bought it at BW as well. I would recommend going for the full set. Since you have GC coilovers it's a better match, since your Springs are Eibach.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    The Eibach one is much cheaper, only $140 at BW right now: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...t-BMW-E46.html (would require a few months wait but since your car is in storage that shouldn't matter)

I have the full set and I love it. Bought it at BW as well. I would recommend going for the full set. Since you have GC coilovers it's a better match, since your Springs are Eibach.
    That's an insane price, but I have a feeling I know why - as it's only 27 mm diameter, I could probably pick up an E46 M3 convertible front sway bar since it's the same diameter. I'm looking for something ~30 mm dia which would work better with the 900 lb rear springs I just ordered

Man everyone is going hardcore on their suspension now. Isn't the ST one for $179 also 27mm? Maybe the M3 Eibach is a little more enticing at 29mm, though it's more expensive.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...MW-E46-M3.html

Man everyone is going hardcore on their suspension now. Isn't the ST one for $179 also 27mm? Maybe the M3 Eibach is a little more enticing at 29mm, though it's more expensive.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...MW-E46-M3.html
    Yeah, I noticed that too - the M3 aftermarket bars are the one to get. The ST one right now is $170 from AutoTalent (with code NOV2020) and it's 30 mm solid bar:

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that too - the M3 aftermarket bars are the one to get. The ST one right now is $170 from AutoTalent and it's 30 mm solid bar:
    I think that's about as cheap as you're gonna get on a bar like that. Not many people running 30mm and even less selling them for cheap. If you wanna flex even on the hardcore guys, how about this 30.88m CSL sway bar?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ne-31352282655

I think that's about as cheap as you're gonna get on a bar like that. Not many people running 30mm and even less selling them for cheap. If you wanna flex even on the hardcore guys, how about this 30.88m CSL sway bar?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ne-31352282655
    Hahahaha

No adjustability? Check
    More expensive than equivalent 30 mm bars? Check

But OEM CSL part? Priceless

A question for you engineers, how does that smaller-diameter center section on the CSL bar affect its characteristics?

Shop Advance Auto Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    A question for you engineers, how does that smaller-diameter center section on the CSL bar affect its characteristics?
    Oooooh I didn't realize it necked down - well in short, it's obviously less stiff in torsion. Actually here's something interesting, the torsional stiffness of a hollow bar is significantly more sensitive to it's diameter than its wall thickness. So you can actually have a hollow bar have the same stiffness as a solid bar, and you'd only have to increase it's diameter a little to get that. And as it's hollow, it's much lighter. Which was why I was pushing to get a hollow bar, as a solid bar isn't as "material efficient" with respect to torsion.

Anyways I did a bit more searching and found a local shop stocking it. Ended up snagging it for $236 CAD shipped to my house, which is a great deal considering I don't have to pay import taxes or having to drive to the pickup location for my cross-border shopping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast