Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Ghost in the car?

Ok I know this is going to sound stupid but it'll sound less dumb if someone else experiences the same.

1. Many times I start driving and the rear view mirror is low... so I have to adjust, like half an inch to an inch...
    a. It cant be my positioning or spine angle because then why is it ALWAYS ONLY low? why is it never too high?
    b. The mirror is still in great shape and stiff in its joints... I would find it hard to believe just once a week or so the mirror falls lower?
    c. I cant ever remember hitting the mirror on my way in or out... either was then should it sometimes be drastically off or turned sideways? It is literally the same every time, the angle it drops
    d. I ghost is messing with me

2. On my windshield inside the car, there are smudge prints... i cant tell from what, but it is easily wiped off with any cloth. It does not seems dirty. They are small streaks. I never have a reason to touch the inside of the glass. But there it is, appears also like once a week. I cant imagine ANY object touching the inside of my glass right in front of me?

So not huge things but every time these happen, I'm like WTF?
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

The rearview mirros in the E46 are notorious for having that exact issue as they age.

Most folks will normally just replace the mirror and the issue goes away. I did myself about 6 years go.

As far as the smudges, your dash material may be off gassing and creating residue on the glass. Welcome to 20yr old car ownership lol.

As the materials start to slowly break down, certain components submiminate (convert to gas) and create a residue on the underside of the windshield.

Just about all of my cars do this and it's just something I take care of during the weekly detail. You may have decent results with a dash mat but, the issue will still be there. Definitely don't use armor all or anything like that on the dash. It will make the issue worse.

Sent from my LG Wing and a prayer using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fenrir; 08-10-2023 at 03:55 PM.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    The rearview mirros in the E46 are notorious for having that exact issue as they age.

Most folks will normally just replace the mirror and thenissue goes away. I did myself about 6 years go.

As far as the smudges, your dash material may be off gassing and creating residue on the glass. Welcome to 20yr old car ownership lol.

As the materials start to slowly break down, certain components submiminate (convert to gas) and create a residue on thr underside of the windshield.

Just about all of my cars do this and it's just something I take care of during the weekly detail. You may have decent results with a dash mat but, the issue will still be there. Definitely don't use armor all or anything like that on the dash. It will make the issue worse.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post

Most folks will normally just replace the mirror and the issue goes away. I did myself about 6 years go.

As the materials start to slowly break down, certain components submiminate (convert to gas) and create a residue on the underside of the windshield.

Thats so weird, I feel like when I move the mirror they are in such good condition and stiff, not loose at all, but good to know.

Wow interesting, NEVER would have guessed that LMAO...

Ok thanks for making me sleep a little easier
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Thats so weird, I feel like when I move the mirror they are in such good condition and stiff, not loose at all, but good to know.

Wow interesting, NEVER would have guessed that LMAO...

Ok thanks for making me sleep a little easier
    Hey you're very welcome

That's how these mirrors start. One minute you think you're crazy. The next minute, hit the smallest bump and the thing is staring at your lap lol.

And yeaaaah. Old plastics get really weird after awhile.

Sent from my LG Wing and a prayer using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fenrir; 08-12-2023 at 06:43 AM.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben