Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by BH93 View Post
    Sorry to bump the thread, but has anyone ever figured out the M3 base not "fitting" 100% with the door mounting area?
    When I did this on my silver ZHP sedan, there was gap on the bottom of the mirror base and the hypotenuse of the base was not parallel with the door line.
    There is a Rogue Engineering DIY for sedans and tourings where you mod the baseplate (shaving off some of the baseplate) to fit properly. You can't just mount them "as is" like you can with coupes and verts. That is why this mod is not done extensively on sedans because it is more difficult. Also, you have to
    drill extra holes in the sedan door so that the screws align from the baseplate.
    Last edited by cakM3; 05-26-2021 at 10:45 AM.

I've done the shaving/drilling and whatnot, but it still seems like you still have the gap at the base of the triangle, because the M3 housings have a different triangle shape than the door mounting triangle as well as that aluminum strip that shows. I believe I've read people just put like silicon to seal the base of the triangle and trim the aluminum strip so it doesn't show past the hypotenuse of the m3 mirror base. Do you have a closer picture of what it looks like mounted to your sedan, specifically the base?

OEM M3 mirrors with power autofold for convertible... Help me please

Quote Originally Posted by BH93 View Post
    I've done the shaving/drilling and whatnot, but it still seems like you still have the gap at the base of the triangle, because the M3 housings have a different triangle shape than the door mounting triangle as well as that aluminum strip that shows. I believe I've read people just put like silicon to seal the base of the triangle and trim the aluminum strip so it doesn't show past the hypotenuse of the m3 mirror base. Do you have a closer picture of what it looks like mounted to your sedan, specifically the base?
    I have done this mod to my last ZHP following the Rogue Engineering DIY exactly and found no issues mounting my OEM M3 side mirrors to my doors. There were no gaps that you are talking about. I have pictures in my Imola ZHP project thread.

Click on the Imola ZHP project thread link at the bottom where my signature is and go to page 31...

If pictures don’t come out I will have to dig for them when I get home from work…

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

Name:  gap.JPG
Views: 673
Size:  24.2 KB

This is the gap I'm talking about (picture from another DIY post). Looks like from your DIY thread, Shawn decided to use garage sealer tape around the edges inside to make it even more weather proof. That gap may have also been the result of my poor workmanship... will need to revisit this mod again for my current zhp sedan as now there's apparently a 3D printed base available from RUS_ZHP (yay!).

What I've done for now is find some replica housing's on ebay with sedan base and fit my zhp motors inside. Driver side works perfect, but passenger side motor is oriented 90 degrees off... The housing uses the same 3 bolt pattern to mount the motor, but only fits 1 of 2 ways and neither are the correct orientation for just the passenger side so just living with rotated controls for that side for now...

This replica housing and base are made of plastic so not as rigid as the metal base... shakes a bit on the highway
    Name:  mirror.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  49.1 KB
    EDIT: replied to wrong thread... deleted and responded here

Looking to do this mod on my M3 with my factory mirrors and planning to purchase the replica mirrors that Charlie recommended to extract the auto fold motors and put them in the m3 mirrors. For those that did this, how are the ebay components holding up? Any issues with the motors folding at different speeds between left and right or other random electrical issues due to low quality or are we in the clear here with these Taiwan ebay motors being "good enough?"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-Cou...QAAOSw3xJVXcoL
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola Red/Sand
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon

Looks like Umnitza also sells these. Not sure if they're just reselling the same units or these are slightly higher quality but they look almost identical down to the wiring.

https://umnitza.com/browse-by-car-mo...le-models.html

Anyone able to comment on which mirror motors are the go to option for the autofold feature on the M3 mirrors? Ebay replica M5 mirrors for the folding feature my best bet here? @cakm3 care to comment?

OEM M3 mirrors with power autofold for convertible... Help me please

Quote Originally Posted by thegenius46m View Post
    Anyone able to comment on which mirror motors are the go to option for the autofold feature on the M3 mirrors? Ebay replica M5 mirrors for the folding feature my best bet here? @cakm3 care to comment?
    I integrated the M3 rep autofolding motors into my OEM M3 side mirrors and had no issues. The autofolding motors will transfer into the M3 mirror base using the torx screws from the M3 base. I have not had any issues folding the side mirrors on my M3 using these autofolding motors.

The autofolding motors that are on the M3 REP mirror assemblies are secured by three phillips screws. I just used the torx acrews used by the OEM M3 mirror assemblies (see my M3 mirror DIY install)
    Last edited by cakM3; 07-27-2023 at 03:29 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234