Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    How old are those o2 sensors?
    As old as the car. 150,xxx. Indy thought they should be fine unless one or both totally failed, though perhaps "fine" means "running but running kinda rough"?
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

I would have suggested MAF and coils also, unless those have been done. At 150k, it couldn't hurt to replace the O2 sensors if they've never been replaced before. Those 3 things are somewhat good preventive maintenance to do at that mileage anyway, but that's throwing parts at the problem.

1.5v seems high for the O2 sensors. Can anyone confirm? I think the higher the voltage, the richer the mixture. Which means something is wrong in terms of readings for the car to set the air/fuel mix OR an injector is leaking introducing extra fuel to the mix OR the fuel pressure regulator isn't working properly and your fuel pressure is too high.

The MAF would be a huge suspicion of mine, since that directly tells the car how much air is being introduced to the engine. The fuel mix will be adjusted based on that reading. What is the MAF reading? In INPA for example, it'll tell you what the air measurement is and if it is within the expected range.
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

I wish I knew more so I could offer my $0.02, but other people will chime in, I'm sure.

If you can take a screenshot of your short and long term fuel trims that would be really helpful to diagnose the root of the problem

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Here are screenshots from OBDFusion. Car idling after warming for about 15 minutes.Name:  7D688B28-C0E8-4F6E-B332-D1FEE4E9D34B.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  24.5 KBName:  B38A33D1-42D1-41F9-B7A7-E1BECA05B6E5.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  21.7 KBName:  D85F02F2-87FB-417C-8C80-E09630B78495.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  31.1 KBName:  28D72CD4-9B98-4956-877C-1527362C1DA7.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  30.0 KB

Edit: Uh, not sure about those O2 sensor voltages. Different software put them around 1.5v.

Edit #2: MAF is stable at about 3.9 g/s.
    Last edited by usinjin; 11-23-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

I have no idea how to read these values. What is "short term fuel trim" and "long term fuel trim"? What is ignition timing advance?

I do know what intake air temperature means, and 131F seems really high. I would expect it to be in and around atmospheric temperatures, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    I have no idea how to read these values. What is "short term fuel trim" and "long term fuel trim"? What is ignition timing advance?

I do know what intake air temperature means, and 131F seems really high. I would expect it to be in and around atmospheric temperatures, no?
    For trims, notice 99.219 + 0.78 equals 100% (probably w/ rounding error). From a purely mathematical standpoint they appear to be the same thing just expressed differently. Usually they’re expressed as a percentage though so I’m inclined to only be concerned with 0.78%. Which seems pretty ideal to me.

Ignition timing advance has to do with the degree at which ignition occurs before top dead center (BTDC), I.e. the piston reaches its highest point of travel.

I’d expect the intake air temp to be higher than ambient, as the air has already been through the boots, throttle body, and into the intake manifold. I saw the sensor there when doing those pesky gaskets. If I have to remove the intake manifold a third time..*shudders*
    Last edited by usinjin; 11-23-2020 at 08:53 PM.

I did go ahead and throw some money at my problem and bought a new set of coils. My reasons are as follows: 1). When the last engine that was in it blew, I bought a few new coils to try and diagnose, and I think my last mechanic threw the same coils back in the replacement engine, so I've been running on a couple of newer coils and several much old ones, and 2). $150 really isn't bad at all for some preventative maintenance. Splurged on 1-day shipping

I'm still very much hoping to dig into these numbers and hopefully see for sure where the problem is definitively.

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    I’d expect the intake air temp to be higher than ambient, as the air has already been through the boots, throttle body, and into the intake manifold. I saw the sensor there when doing those pesky gaskets. If I have to remove the intake manifold a third time..*shudders*
    Don't reason with wishful thinking. 131°F seems way too high, unless you don't have your air filter installed, or have some aftermarket air filter installed. Do you have a "warm air intake" installed by any chance?

Wishful thinking?? Not exactly sure where you got that. These are my reasonings I’ve come to after discussing issues with my mechanic and internet research. Of course I could be wrong, which is another story altogether. If anyone can correct anything I’m coming up with, that would be appreciated, as it’ll help me learn and better understand.

No aftermarket intakes/boots/filters of any kind.

130F seemed more or less normal to me, after reading comments of ~150F AIT on similarly specced e46 models across various forums, and reassurances that that range was probably okay. Especially after running the car hard and then allowing it to idle again, perhaps heat-soak played a part. Perhaps the tune it’s running plays a role.

Again, I could definitely be wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast