Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Superchargers.... Educate me

I've been reading up on superchargers for a while now, and honestly don't know enough to understand the differences other than the max HP ratings.

From what I gather, the major brands are ActiveAutowerkes, ESS Tuning, and VF Engineering. All seem to have a stage 1, 2, etc.

Besides cost, and HP, what are the major things I should be concerned with? What are tradeoffs? Reliability? Ease of installation? Lowest maintenance? Fuel economy?

Would love to hear some feedback... And if anyone has a supercharged ZHP in the Boston area... I want to drive it lol.

Thanks!

I think all the members on here that are supercharged are twin scroll charger users. I think those kits offer slightly more horsepower than the VF ones but they also don’t make them anymore and you’d be hard pressed to find a new one for sale.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

who made the twinnscroll ones?

ESS I believe. I had a stg2 VF supercharged Mk3 GTI VR6 when I was younger and loved the sound/power it made. I’ve never driven a supercharged ZHP, only watched various YouTube videos.

I plan on going VF in the next year or less. I don’t really have a technical reason other than last experience with VF and I love the sound. I’m sure the more technical guys with TS charger will chime in with their experiences.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

I have an ESS Stage 1 (as my car is auto). The purchase came with free instsllation. I love it, but a stage 1/auto is not super fast. To me, it feels more like the car shld hv from the factory. Very smooth power delivery, u can feel it when it kicks in, and it doesn't hurt drivability at all. I got this one as it revs up near lower RPMs. I've had it a couple years so can't comment on reliability. As said, you can't get them new anymore. Mine makes idle after cold starts rough, but that goes away. If you are looking for a well tested product that definitely provides a boost, I recommend one. I have ridden in a Stage 2 and it's much faster, and has a nice SC whine. Technically the cost new is not worth it compared to the value of the car, but if you're keeping the car, who cares?!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

That's a very good point to consider, if you are looking to buy a SC, realistically you'll be limited to whatever you can find used for a decent price. Not much choice these days.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

You can still buy the VF kit new from various vendors, the personal problem I have is that it comes standard with a 6psi tune. I have contacted Vortech and VF, both of which stated they cannot provide a map for 8-9psi which is what I would prefer. I would have to find someone to do a custom tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    That's a very good point to consider, if you are looking to buy a SC, realistically you'll be limited to whatever you can find used for a decent price. Not much choice these days.
    Thanks all—the Active Autowerks and ESS kits are still available new it appears...

ESS avail new? I thought they were sold out. Where?

Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    ESS avail new? I thought they were sold out. Where?

Looks like they are available on their website:
    https://esstuning.com/m54b30-twin-screw-stage-2-ts2/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast