Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Which member was it that really struggled with ESS in terms of tuning? They kept having issues with getting a good AFR.

Quote Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
    Looks like they are available on their website:
    https://esstuning.com/m54b30-twin-screw-stage-2-ts2/
    Hmmm, I really thought they were sold out. I guess not!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I do remember somebody struggling with an ESS kit. I distinctly remember thinking, "I dodged that bullet..." I still wrestle with a desire for that power, but I keep reminding myself that my car goes 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, will go 160mph, and is fun as hell now. Then, I also consider all the mods I could do with $7,000 (or cars it would help me buy) and what a shame it would be to ruin my ZHP which is already so perfect. And it's not like you'll ever get that money back out of the car...
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Edit: disregard.

The ESS kit gives more tq but the HP is pretty much the same. For roughly HALF the price, I think VF is worth it.

I don't think it ruins a ZHP by any means. I haven't driven a supercharged ZHP but generally speaking: I think it wakes cars up and shows what they really SHOULD be from the manufacturer. Plus, I think its SAFE power. Not as violent as turbo charging can be on the motor/drive train/etc.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

By "ruin", I was referring to the potential reliability issues--vacuum leaks, A/F ratio, etc.--that multitudes of installers seem to run into. If it wasn't for that, I'd buy one immediately for the performance gain (twin screw or centrifugal).
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 12-03-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Which member was it that really struggled with ESS in terms of tuning? They kept having issues with getting a good AFR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    I do remember somebody struggling with an ESS kit.
    I believe that was Sockethead.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

I've personally never heard of people (BMW or not) that have had reliability issues with their chargers. Like I said before, its reliable power. I think when you start to get into customizing a "kit" from a manufacturer, that's when you start to potentially run into issues i.e. wanting to up the boost via a tune not provided by the manufacturer, bigger injectors, etc. etc.

The only "issue" I had with my sgt2 VW GTI VR6 was belt slip and VF offered a (I think it was 35%) belt "wrap" kit that assisted in minimizing that issue to it almost being a null one. Some guys would convert their setups to a cogged belt which resulted in ZERO slip.
    Last edited by BADCLOWN; 12-03-2020 at 06:18 AM.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

I have a 6-speed ZHP, and a VF supercharged 330i 5-speed sport package. Love the ZHP, but SC 330i is much more fun to drive. It gives the car the power to match the chassis and looks. Power is very linear, so it does not change the characteristics of the M54. It's not tire shredding torque, just smooth linear power. Its like have a 4.5 liter M54 under the hood. It's pretty much seamless integration, with no real negatives. And compared to the S-54 swap, you could spend $5K on a VF, install in a weekend, then remove and sell later for $3K. And yes, I do have a plans to SC my ZHP.

Damned, you guys are a bad influence on me...

I have the Active Autowerks setup and it makes the ZHP so amazing and fun to drive ! It’s worth it for the added power if you love your ZHP. The way I see it, It’s cheaper than buying another “fun” car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast