Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dinan stage 2 software and CAI

Is anyone here running Dinan stage 2 software along with their CAI on your ZHP? Seems like a quality setup. I would enjoy hearing your feedback.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D903-3032

https://modbargains.com/dinan-alumin...-325i-zhp-e46/

http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...95cdb20e8a.pdf

2005 330ci ZHP

Dinan stage 2 software and CAI

Quote Originally Posted by E46Fan View Post
    Is anyone here running Dinan stage 2 software along with their CAI on your ZHP? Seems like a quality setup. I would enjoy hearing your feedback.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D903-3032

https://modbargains.com/dinan-alumin...-325i-zhp-e46/

http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...95cdb20e8a.pdf
    I looked into it many years ago and never found what the actual gains were. I then talked with a DINAN/BMW tech that had installed a few of them. His opinion was that I didn’t do much at all and wasn’t worth the money.

I also later, took a test drive in a ZHP that EAG had for sale with; CAI, Throttle-body and Stage III. That was a BIG disappointment. My ZHP with the DINAN CAI and Turner under drive pulleys was and still is far more responsive. Note; I also had my 30 ish year old (at the time) son and son in law/car guys with me in the test drive and we all concurred.

That being said, I never bothered with it.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    My ZHP with the DINAN CAI and Turner under drive pulleys was and still is far more responsive.
    Hmm, that is disappointing to hear, but very good info to know. Thank you. I really like the design of the Dinan CAI and was really hoping the pairing with the software would actually add some power and torque.

Based on your feedback, it seems the Dinan CAI really adds nothing. Its amazing how many people spend big money on a wide range of different models of CAI's but really all they do is change the sound. Sooo much debate on this topic.

I am now starting to lean more towards the Shark Injector. According to Turner, the ZHP seems to have the best real world gain;
    https://1c2a8a2161d644d95009-22d26b3...e/dyno/ZHP.pdf

Perhaps the injector is the best place to start, then add on under drive pulleys along with something like Pedal Box. Seems like people like the response curve of Pedal Box over the Sprint booster.

2005 330ci ZHP

2005 330ci ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by E46Fan View Post
    Yeah, there are no easy gains for this motor. You get relatively little gain for the money you have to pay.

CAI could add a few ponies, but let's say it adds 2-4 HP on the top end. Can people really notice that just driving around? The induction noise difference would probably be more noticeable.

Underdrive pulleys are similar.

Exhaust will get you a better sound and a few pounds less weight. There may be a pony or two there. Though they're pretty pricey, so the main benefit is the sound.

Current Shark tune is questionable. It seems like it would be best to seek other tunes.

Most of these items kind of chip away a bit at the performance, but may build up to something that you want.

Headers can get you good gains, but then you have to worry about the labor and emissions.

It's mainly deciding on what you want and an acceptable price point.

I just checked some of my history and the pulleys have been on for 10 years now. They did make a significant difference when installed. Never had an issue with them except, my recent power steering pump failure. After ten years, I don’t think it’s related.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Theres also the electronic fan swap which I've heard frees up some of the parasitic loss. Haven't installed it yet, but it is on the list.

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

For the Shark Injector, I noticed not really a change in power, but a better throttle response. A few others have noted that. Again, anecdotal, but I appreciated the change personally.

I did not notice a massive improvement with my Turner Power Pulleys (shocker), but again, a small increase.

So after I switched to E5 at the gas station and reset my throttle pedal, the throttle response became absolutely insane. @ZHPizza can confirm. I would try that before spending money on tunes and other stuff that may or may not help.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Greatly appreciate all the experienced feedback. Sounds like a good place to begin is the Pedalbox to get the most immediate and obvious change in how the car performs.

Seems like folks really prefer Pedalbox over SB:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...light=pedalbox

So the other conclusion I am getting from my reading related to bolt on performance for the ZHP is to combine headers, CAI, plus perhaps a larger throttle body, then find someone who really knows their BMW engine mapping and pay for a custom tune based on your specific car. Shark ain't gonna get it.

Active Autowerk headers (Supersprint too much $$, ebay headers too much re-welding), secondary O2 angle mod, SAP delete, new studs, gaskets, etc. Just parts at least $850.
    Perhaps labor for install $500 (I do most of my own wrenching, but 15 years of NE winters has me reluctant to get into studs breaking off!)
    Dinan CAI $250
    Dinan throttle body $860
    Pulleys $230
    Custom tune based on dyno runs $500??

So that is about $3,190 or so to get what, ~20-25 increase in power and torque each? That is pretty pricey even if the increase is in low end torque that follows the entire RPM range.

Quite a bummer compared to the later turbo'ed models that can change the intercooler, some piping and a few other hardware pieces coupled with a custom tune and get 50-100 horses for perhaps $2,000.

2005 330ci ZHP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast