Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you wash your car?

After spending a good half of today cleaning the cars (including the ZHP), I spent the second half of today watching people talk about washing their cars.

I also delved into the Obsessed Garage rabbit hole - a guy who has seemingly devoted his life to washing cars, including spending hours upon hours washing already clean cars. He's also [s]suckered[/s] countless people to part with hundreds, if not thousands, of their hard-earned dollars on pressure washing equipment.

I almost got suckered in. In fact I did follow his recommendation on pressure washers when my old one started leaking, and I got myself a Kärcher K1700 (it's decent). Except, I don't think any of this crap is necessary. Not even the pressure washer.

Does foam actually make any difference when cleaning a car? I've found no matter what I do with the pressure washer, I still have to go in with the sponge to get all the dust/dirt off. In fact I'm not even sure the pressure washer does anything for washing a car, except help distribute soap.

The only thing I've noticed that really made a difference getting a Chamois cloth and then applying wax with my little electric waxing thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone actually have an ultra-foaming machine? Does it make a difference when washing cars?

It makes a difference, however, it really only makes an impact on maintenance washes. Especially if the car is already sealed/coated. If you are waiting until say your car gets really dirty, it helps loosen some dirt, but you'll have to sponge it still. Personally, I would take a DI system over a pressure washer lol Drying the car takes a lot more time than washing does for me. The dirt falls off on it's own due to the sealant already so that's why washing is rather quick.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    It makes a difference, however, it really only makes an impact on maintenance washes. Especially if the car is already sealed/coated. If you are waiting until say your car gets really dirty, it helps loosen some dirt, but you'll have to sponge it still. Personally, I would take a DI system over a pressure washer lol Drying the car takes a lot more time than washing does for me. The dirt falls off on it's own due to the sealant already so that's why washing is rather quick.
    DI system?

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    DI system?
    Deionizing system. Basically purifies the water so you don't even have to wipe the car down to dry since there's no calcium buildup that would cause water spots
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

It's certainly a deep rabbit hole with many different perspectives. I think it may make a difference for a concours such as Pebble Beach. For me, it's not worth it on my daily driver. My goal now is clean, not pristine.

I've tried two bucket wash, air blower for drying, and also pressure washer for washing. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but the marginal difference wasn't noticeable for me. I had no luck with only power washer on paint. Similar to you, I've always had to use a microfiber / sponge and soap for dirt removal.

The one area I noticed a big difference was washing wheels with the power washer, it was easier and quicker. But even then, a hose and a couple sprays with the Sonax wheel cleaner and a quick brushing works just as quickly.

Now I just wash with one bucket with a microfiber (instead of a sponge), regular hose, and a chamois for drying. Vaccuum with my house vacuum.

For wheels, I'll use Sonax if I have it (but it's really expensive stuff, so I usually don't have it), otherwise I've found a couple spritzes of SuperClean on wet wheels (and an immediate brushing and rinsing) does the job, too - tip: get the Foaming spray bottle, but refill it from the regular galloon jug of SuperClean when the spray bottle runs out. The only difference between the foaming and the non-foaming is the spray nozzle.

A couple microfibers to wipe clean the door and trunk jambs. Some Stoner window cleaner (or just Windex) to hit the inside and outsides and some 303 or left over Vinylex on tire sidewalls, and call it a day.

If I feel like it, maybe a wipe down of the dash, sills, and rubber gaskets with 303, and a wipe down of the leather with Leatherique Pristine Clean.

35-45 minutes each car, simple. Again, my goal now is clean rather than pristine.

I'm overdue for a paint correction, though.

I admire the people who take the time and make the effort to do the multi-stage cleaning / correction / sealant / waxing. The results are remarkable and the photos really pop. I really enjoy seeing those photos, such as in our water-beading photo thread. I think the enjoyment might be in the process as well and not just the final outcome. It was quite satisfying when I did paint correction, just time and labor intensive.

I'm curious how others see it.

Edit: yes, DI system would be great... it's nice to just hose it down and drive off without worry of spots.

I was always under the impression that DI systems are/were exorbitantly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    The one area I noticed a big difference was washing wheels with the power washer, it was easier and quicker. But even then, a hose and a couple sprays with the Sonax wheel cleaner and a quick brushing works just as quickly.

Now I just wash with one bucket with a microfiber (instead of a sponge), regular hose, and a chamois for drying. Vaccuum with my house vacuum.

For wheels, I'll use Sonax if I have it (but it's really expensive stuff, so I usually don't have it), otherwise I've found a couple spritzes of SuperClean on wet wheels (and an immediate brushing and rinsing) does the job, too - tip: get the Foaming spray bottle, but refill it from the regular galloon jug of SuperClean when the spray bottle runs out. The only difference between the foaming and the non-foaming is the spray nozzle.
    For wheels I've found the BMW wheel cleaner works really well, although DO NOT USE WITH ALUMINUM WHEELS. That gets rid of brake dust pretty solidly. It's $20 at the dealerships, and turns purple as it reacts with brake dust.

I admire the people who take the time and make the effort to do the multi-stage cleaning / correction / sealant / waxing. The results are remarkable and the photos really pop. I really enjoy seeing those photos, such as in our water-beading photo thread. I think the enjoyment might be in the process as well and not just the final outcome.
    It's an insane rabbit hole. I'm kind of curious how big the market/industry is. So much snake oil.

[edit]

Actually it seems like the male equivalent to woman's hair products.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    ... Now I just wash with one bucket with a microfiber (instead of a sponge), regular hose, and a chamois for drying.
    ... I'm overdue for a paint correction, though.
    No wonder!
    I use 2 buckets (or 3, for wheels, depending on how bad they are) & microfiber chenille wash mitt - lots of surface area on it. Some of the OG or AMMO of NY steps may seem excessive, but result in a better end result. A true natural chamois will pull off your last step product.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I used to do the 3 bucket method(1 for wheels, 1 with soap, 1 for rinsing.) I recently switched to a pressure washer, foam cannon and 2 buckets (1 for wheel, 1 for rinsing.) For the pressure washer did help with reducing the amount of time it took to wash my cars. It also made it easier to remove bug guts once I pre-treated it with bug remover. Washing the wheels is easier and quicker as well.

The pressure washer does remove dirt prior to using the foam cannon and sponge. Like you mentioned, the foam cannon just layers the car with soap. A sponge is still needed to remove any dirt the pressure washer did not get. The idea behind is the the layer of soap would minimize micro-scratches.

But the pressure washer does not get call the dirt, as you have noticed. I saw a detailer pre-treat heavily dirty areas with diluted all purpose cleaner before pressure washing. I tried this method it seemed to help. But soap and sponge is still required.

I agree that a pressure washer or a foam cannon is not needed to wash your car. But it sure does make it more fun! I also like the fact that a pressure washer waste less water than a garden hose. Mine uses about 1.75 GPM compared to the average garden hose uses about 12-13 GPM.

Paint correction is a different ball game. Something I know very little about. I do have dual action polisher with a few microfiber pads. I attempted to do paint correction recently. I used 3D One with my microfiber pads, the paint is shinier and small scratches were removed. Nothing to brag about. Then again I am no professional and have limited knowledge and skills in this area. It is good enough for me and my daily driver.

How do you wash your car?

I’ll jump in on this knowing that I’ve been a bit crazy about this.

Year 15 of my ZHP starts two weeks from tomorrow. Check the date on that!

It all starts with wetting things down with the 40+ year old Strahman Valve M-70 nozzle. Then the Griot’s ultimate car wash bucket gets rinsed out. The soap bowl in the lower grill (1” off the bottom) gets filled with Griot’s Brilliant Finish car wash. It’s then filled with water until the bubbles start popping through the 1/4 upper grill.

For the main body, I use a 10”x3” Boars’ Hair brush. I start from the bottom and move up from there. This is all due to a failed test in a auto tech class back in high school. (Reason, so you can see what you’ve washed. No soap running over what you haven’t).

Once done, I start on the wheels. Wet the wheels with the hose. Then I spray down one side with simple green full strength. In between each spoke set, heavy in the center, tire and all over once again.

First tool that’s no longer available (Griot’s 1/2” dia x 3” long sponge. Mounted on a 1/4” dowel 8” long). This is used to get between the spokes, around the lugs and into the holes between.

Second tool, is a 8” x 4” + handle rigid wash mitt material tool. I use this to wash the inside diameter of the wheel. I do use fingers to get behind the spokes.

Last tool is a simple wash mitt to get everything else.

Dry time, first, I use a water blade, to get the heave drops off. Next I dry the glass with one of two dedicated microfiber towels. Next I do a first towel on the painted surfaces. I then do a second dry with the other dryer microfiber towel.

Next is the third and smaller microfiber towel. This gets used on all the door and boot jams and everything in the engine bay.

Next is a wipe down of the interior and engine bay with Mequiar’s interior detailer cleaner and or natural shine protector. Both with dedicated microfiber towels!

The finishing touch, goes to Griot’s Best of Detailer and of course I use a special dedicated microfiber for that.

Supplies are currently low so, things may change shortly.

Not many miles this year but, hope to have it fixed shortly.

Added picture! 14 years of ownership in the books @ 160k!

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 3ZHPGUY; 12-10-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Y'all are wild. I'm out here using old t-shirts and whatever grit sandpaper I can find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast