Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pats 2005 ZHP Sedan Build

Hi All,

First post - so I guess this is my intro and build thread. Plan to get all the maintenance squared away on my ZHP and add a few bits & pieces of aftermarket parts along the way. I'll document the journey here!

Background on me - I have terrible car ADD. I'm 34 and have owned nearly 20 different cars in that time. A wide range, but mainly Audi/VW. However, I have always wanted a ZHP. I have been drawn to them in an odd way. Some of my more notable vehicles have been a B5 S4, Audi S3, Saab Viggens(a few), 15 WRX, 16 STi, 2003 Terminator Cobra, and a few add other fun cars like GTi's.

Now with a wife and kid(second in the near future) my daily drivers are a bit more practical. My current daily is a 2020 4runner thats been given some aftermarket love & the wife's ride is my old 2015 Sierra Denali I handed down to her LOL.

So I started looking for a ZHP as a weekend car and a project. Jeez, tougher than expected finding one locally and for a reasonable price. 2 weeks ago a 2005 sedan popped up about 30 miles from me. 150k miles, decent maintenance records, no accidents, and an owner in his mid 40's that owned it since 2014 and knew the previous owner.

The car is in fair condition i'd say. Exterior is fairly good besides a crack on the underside of the front bumper & the wheels needing to be refinished ASAP. Interior was pretty gross - I don't think the owner cared to keep the inside all that tidy.

The car feels pretty tight. I noticed some oil from the differential and the power steering cap. Suspension feels pretty tired, and overall needs a refreshing.

So with it being brutally cold in CT with lots of snow at the moment I decided to get to work on the interior last weekend. Pulled out all of the seats and the center console. Worked some magic with the alcantara and gave them a thorough wash. Still not done yet, but looking much better. There is some wear on the drivers seat I may have addressed at a shop. Ordered some trim bits, and having some sanded and painted. Also, went ahead and ordered a new shift boot and shift knob,

Already starting to look better(wife is about to kill me with car stuff all around the house!)

While interior was out I gave all the carpet inside the car a nice shampoo. Starting to look much better. As I type this I should be expecting a shipment from ECS today for some interior bits, so may have the seats/console back in by end of this weekend.

Additional parts I've ordered thus far:

-Black kidney grilles
    -Engine oil,filter, trans fluids, diff fluids plugs

Overall my goal is to get the car squared away maintenance wise and fix some blemishes that bother me. As the weather warms up I plan to refresh the cooling and suspension - looking at the kits on FCP Euro, but open to suggestions.

As for aftermarket parts- I plan to tint the windows and likely put some Apex wheels on in the spring/summer. Once I get the car squared away from a maintenance perspective maybe some of you can persuade me into some modifications....shouldn't be difficult!

Welcome! You will find people here with a wealth of knowledge regarding ZHPs Since you're in Connecticut, you might want to reach out to BP if you ever need coding services. He does an amazing job!

Verify what headlight assemblies you have whether they are AL headlight assemblies or they are the OE ZKW headlight assemblies. The ZKW headlight assemblies have plastic Xenon bowls in them which burn out over time and provides diminished light output as a result. I have installed the AL headlight assemblies into my ZHP and then transplanted the ZKW lenses into them for the best light output. To me this is the way to go in correcting the "ZKW" headlight issue...

As for cooling system refresh or any maintenance as far as I am concerned.... get everything from FCP Euro because they provide a lifetime warranty on everything they sell... everything. Even if it costs a little more, you get the lifetime warranty on that item. No one else provides this so this is something to keep in mind going forward

Congrats on the acquisition! Looks like it's got good ownership history.

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Welcome! You will find people here with a wealth of knowledge regarding ZHPs Since you're in Connecticut, you might want to reach out to BP if you ever need coding services. He does an amazing job!

Verify what headlight assemblies you have whether they are AL headlight assemblies or they are the OE ZKW headlight assemblies. The ZKW headlight assemblies have plastic Xenon bowls in them which burn out over time and provides diminished light output as a result. I have installed the AL headlight assemblies into my ZHP and then transplanted the ZKW lenses into them for the best light output. To me this is the way to go in correcting the "ZKW" headlight issue...

As for cooling system refresh or any maintenance as far as I am concerned.... get everything from FCP Euro because they provide a lifetime warranty on everything they sell... everything. Even if it costs a little more, you get the lifetime warranty on that item. No one else provides this so this is something to keep in mind going forward
    Interesting. I'll have to check the headlights I have. I know they were updated and the lens are clear which is nice. Also, good to know about FCP Euro warranty!

Welcome and congrats on the purchase, lots of members here that enjoy bringing neglected examples back up to their former glory.

Also quite a few 4runner guys here, myself included (I’m on my 3rd T4R)
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Welcome, Pat. You will love this forum. Glad to hear this car is in good hands.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Welcome.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Welcome! I remember when I first got my car, I was on my hands and knees scrubbing away at salt stains on the carpet with vinegar and a toothbrush. It'll feel super satisfying after you've put some work into the new purchase and get it how you want.

Can't go wrong with kits from FCP Euro - I try to buy all my stuff from them because of the warranty and excellent customer service.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    Welcome and congrats on the purchase, lots of members here that enjoy bringing neglected examples back up to their former glory.

Also quite a few 4runner guys here, myself included (I’m on my 3rd T4R)
    Thanks man. Love the TRD - had to go with the SR5 Premium as I needed the 3rd row seating - got some wheels/bigger tires, TRD skids, rack, blacked out the emblems, and threw in led's all around the first day I had it!

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Welcome! I remember when I first got my car, I was on my hands and knees scrubbing away at salt stains on the carpet with vinegar and a toothbrush. It'll feel super satisfying after you've put some work into the new purchase and get it how you want.

Can't go wrong with kits from FCP Euro - I try to buy all my stuff from them because of the warranty and excellent customer service.

Labor of love!

I'll post updates early next week once the interior is all back together.

I need to start reading up on a suspension set up. I may consider just refreshing the stock config, but may look into a cup kit. Definitely want to replace the control arms up front and do the bushings while I'm at. Plan to start ordering those parts and the cooling now, that way when I get some warmer weather I can get to work.

Nice pickup and glad you joined us here to document the refresh!

Have you located where the diff is leaking? If it's just from the cover, then that's an easy reseal while you're swapping the fluid. If it's from one of the shaft seals then it gets a little more complicated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast