Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

ZHP cluster replacement

My instrument cluster is starting to go. It started with the turn signals, I thought they were unoperational due to no indicator sound/no light on the cluster, but the external signals do function. Cluster also dims during the day as if the lights are on when they aren't, show doors being open after they've been closed, etc. I would leave it as the dials still function but I'm worried it might not always illuminate at night.

I found DIY instructions for recoding/swapping VIN and mileage over to a new cluster, etc, seems relatively straightforward. My question is, can the new cluster be a regular 325/330 cluster if I swap the dials over from mine, or is the PCB also different somehow on the ZHP from the standard 330? RealOEM shows different part numbers of course but I'm not sure if that's just because of a visual difference with red needles/silver rings/redline marker. Thanks.
    Last edited by usinjin; 12-28-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarification
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

I don't have the answer. But there's this recent arrival to LKQ in case you want to grab its cluster. Looks like the price is around $30 :

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/loca...2000-bmw-328i/
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I don't have the answer. But there's this recent arrival to LKQ in case you want to grab its cluster. Looks like the price is around $30 :

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/loca...2000-bmw-328i/
    You are always on top of these inventories my friend! For that price, might be worth picking up and trying.
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

You bet. They also have this 2002 325i:

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/loca...2002-bmw-325i/
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

With the cluster completely disassembled you can mix and match parts to your hearts desire.

The issue is the eeprom on the board. You could pull it from the old board and install it on the new board and that would require no coding/programming. But unless you are well versed in soldering on circuit boards this may be a bit of a challenge. If you got another cluster you would still have to disassemble, clear the chip and then program it. Both options aren't to hard but do require a little bit of extra knowledge/experience in their respective repairs.

Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
    With the cluster completely disassembled you can mix and match parts to your hearts desire.

The issue is the eeprom on the board. You could pull it from the old board and install it on the new board and that would require no coding/programming. But unless you are well versed in soldering on circuit boards this may be a bit of a challenge. If you got another cluster you would still have to disassemble, clear the chip and then program it. Both options aren't to hard but do require a little bit of extra knowledge/experience in their respective repairs.

Perfect, thanks George. Exactly the info I was looking for!

I'd figured out the how (for the most part) of the coding/swapping EEPROMs, but wasn't sure if I could do so with a board from a regular e46. Sounds like it does work.

Thankfully, I do have a scope, hot air station, plenty of USA-made flux and a few years of SMD rework experience, so I think I'll give that a shot!

Autozone.com
    If it doesn't work out, bring it up to me in Cedar Park and I can clear the chip for you. You'd just have to program the cluster, but it's an easy second option.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com