Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    I love my twin screw SC! It's only a TS1 so 5 psi, not real extra burden on the car but definitely adds to the feel of the car, like it should have been from the factory in the 1st place. Fast, but not blazing fast. Got to 8 psi with a TS2 is a different ballgame.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Although I have an LS sitting for another project (and believe me I have seriously thought about swapping it into my ZHP) I think the twin screw is the route I am going to go. I just want the car a little better. As you said, as it should have come. As I get closer to pulling the trigger, I’d like to hit you up for some first hand input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    Very good info. I’ll likely stick with the stock. I’m super hesitant to do any mods, as BMW made their decisions for a reason, and with a supreme obsession to detail. I expect an SC ZHP would require a rear subframe welding (something I might do regardless as I have to do rear suspension work). The M54 engine is more than adequate for city driving.

Still, thanks for the info!

If I wanted more power, I might go with an S54 swap.... I’ve been toying with that idea for a while now.
    My car was a well kept track day toy when I bout it, sooo... Going back to stock isn't an option for me lol. I'll stop modding with it sometime after I'm dead .

Do that subframe weld regardless of mods. It's unfortunately not even an option on these chassis for long term. I've got the foam fix right now but.... I'm keeping an eye on it.

These cars respond very well to proper mods and some are direct improvements. That said, I agree. BMW did this car right pretty much out of the factory. Except.....for the response below lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    I love my twin screw SC! It's only a TS1 so 5 psi, not real extra burden on the car but definitely adds to the feel of the car, like it should have been from the factory in the 1st place. Fast, but not blazing fast. Got to 8 psi with a TS2 is a different ballgame.

Wholeheartedly agree. There's an old article (Car n Driver I think?) that tested an early pre-ZHP E46 sedan with a factory style AA performance kit installed. Which, of course, included their SC. It was reaaally cool but AA couldn't get BMW USA to bite for a dealer option.

I wish the ZHP would have come from the factory like that. Low PSI, good internals, and a bloody LSD . I'm glad I have one but... it should have been a stock option.
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSET303 View Post
    Although I have an LS sitting for another project (and believe me I have seriously thought about swapping it into my ZHP) I think the twin screw is the route I am going to go. I just want the car a little better. As you said, as it should have come. As I get closer to pulling the trigger, I’d like to hit you up for some first hand input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The original owner and myself have built the ZHP for an SC. But.... I've kinda hit a reallllly nice sweet spot with the NA power feel and I'm kinda afraid to mess that up. That said, Twin Screw all the way. Love the way the ESS kits feel.

And LS1 power FTW. I miss My LS cars. Went back to a twin turbo machine for my go fast bits. Buuuut I still want a 99 WS6. One day.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Good lord, those prices are ridiculous.
    $6k for the supercharger. I looked at the Autowerke diff, and I don't like how it mounts at all.
    A separate oil pump? Also the intercooler hoses will go everywhere. Stock or S54 it is.
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

Good lord, those prices are ridiculous.
    $6k for the supercharger. I looked at the Autowerke diff, and I don't like how it mounts at all.
    A separate oil pump? Also the intercooler hoses will go everywhere. Stock or S54 it is.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, an S54 swap is going to be as much or more expensive than a supercharger setup. And with a low psi build, 6-8psi, an intercooler isn't a mandatory thing.

Also, the AA is a Centrifugal setup. They tend to have extra bits vs a twin screw. That said, the ESS Twin Screw setup is still 6+ grand. Like I said, making power on these means smashing the piggy bank.

You could possibly pick up an E46M in the rough ballpark of 10k.

And if it's just power you want, LS1 cars are cheap.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

VF doesn’t look bad at all at $4500..........just saying

To do an S54 swap right you essentially need to purchase an entire donor car in my opinion. I think an S54 swap (done right: all s54 maintenance, new belts, freshening up the motor, coating the rear subframe, new bushings, etc etc etc) can get you up to 8-10k in total or more
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    VF doesn’t look bad at all at $4500..........just saying

To do an S54 swap right you essentially need to purchase an entire donor car in my opinion. I think an S54 swap (done right: all s54 maintenance, new belts, freshening up the motor, coating the rear subframe, new bushings, etc etc etc) can get you up to 8-10k in total or more
    +1. Pretty much all of this. But if I have to buy a donor M.... I'd rather just keep it as the new project car .

Last edited by Fenrir; 01-19-2021 at 11:01 AM.

-Ben

I have a 2001 330i, not sure if it's a ZHP motor, but it's had an Active S/C installed for over 60k miles. Still runs great. It makes plenty of linear power, with no boost lag like with a turbo. Most of the power is higher in the rev range. Mileage sucks even without putting my foot in it (16mpg avg.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, an S54 swap is going to be as much or more expensive than a supercharger setup. And with a low psi build, 6-8psi, an intercooler isn't a mandatory thing.

Also, the AA is a Centrifugal setup. They tend to have extra bits vs a twin screw. That said, the ESS Twin Screw setup is still 6+ grand. Like I said, making power on these means smashing the piggy bank.

You could possibly pick up an E46M in the rough ballpark of 10k.

And if it's just power you want, LS1 cars are cheap.

No I understand. I’m not a power junkie, I thought it might be something relatively small and elegant. I’m a BMW OEM junkie. I’m going to keep my ZHP bone stock, and enjoy the “reliability” it brings with it.
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

No I understand. I’m not a power junkie, I thought it might be something relatively small and elegant. I’m a BMW OEM junkie. I’m going to keep my ZHP bone stock, and enjoy the “reliability” it brings with it.
    You need MOOOORE power! Everyone can agree ZHP handles/drives great but more power makes it much more exciting !

Quote Originally Posted by d-rod View Post
    You need MOOOORE power! Everyone can agree ZHP handles/drives great but more power makes it much more exciting !
    +1!

Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast