Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Bosch alternator already dead???

After not driving for 2 days, my ZHP was dead. Like, REALLY dead. Not the faintest sign of interior lights-dead. I think my dying cluster is draining it. However, it hasn't been an issue for several weeks. After jumping the car (rip battery), I found the alternator was putting out only about 12.8V at idle. This was after a decent amount of driving, maybe 20 miles. When I revved it up somewhat it went to 13.6V, but settled back at 12.8V.

The battery and alternator are both relatively new, less than a year old. The alternator was a new, non-remanufactured OEM Bosch unit. The battery was a new Diehard H8 AGM. The engine grounds are in good shape.

Is it normal for the alternator to die so fast?? It was /not/ cheap. It is not cold here. I drive almost every day.
    Last edited by usinjin; 01-30-2021 at 04:25 AM.
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

I had a terrible experience with Bosch alternators. Went through 2 of them in like 6 months, returned them both and ended up going with a used OE and no problems in 6 years.

But I would look at the engine ground first. I had the same weird electrical issues for ages, replaced starter (ouch)/alt/battery, only for it to end up being that ground that had loosened up.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    I had a terrible experience with Bosch alternators. Went through 2 of them in like 6 months, returned them both and ended up going with a used OE and no problems in 6 years.

But I would look at the engine ground first. I had the same weird electrical issues for ages, replaced starter (ouch)/alt/battery, only for it to end up being that ground that had loosened up.
    This is a bit disappointing. I always thought the Bosch one was the top notch version, but this is not the first thread I’ve come across saying otherwise. The cheap one Advance put in lasted about 4 years.

However, I believe I’m in the clear. It looks like it’s charging at about 13.8V today after going for a drive. I think when I deeply discharged the AGM battery I probably made it unhappy. I might be in the clear. Definitely time to eliminate the (electrical) short..cheers
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

Weird. Maybe bosch is reneging on quality.

The difference between Bosch and Genuine BMW is the Genuine is a Bosch that’s been kissed by BMW
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

I've replaced a bunch of Bosch alternators and starters, primarily on S54s but also on M54s. I recommend OE or Valeo whenever possible.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com