Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You’re All Paying Way Too Much for BMW ZHP’s!

-Chris

Reads like the opinion of a hedge fund manager going short on ZHP stock. Let's start a reddit campaign and show him!

Seriously though, it his opinion and lacks any real substance. Sure, I scratch my head about some of the higher sales prices. But it always strikes me as foolish to try to rationalize used car prices with objective yardsticks. I mean, in every objective way my 2004 and 2006 ZHP convertibles are vastly better cars than a 1964.5 Mustang convertible but I would definitely pay more for a "good" example of that car than for a "good" ZHP example. Which makes no sense really because I would never tolerate a Mustang as my daily so...to each their own!

Still an interesting read, thanks for sharing!

Ultimately, all valuation is subjective so, when push comes to shove, there’s no accounting for taste or, therefore, price. I will say this... I’ve been searching for years for any car that beats or even rivals the performance, reliability, practicality, and looks of the E46 330 (i or xi), and I cannot find one. There’s always some serious flaw that spoils it for me, and that goes for newer model BMW’s as well. So, I think I can say, somewhat objectively, that I am not surprised people are willing to pay a premium for these cars. I know I am. Usually, the lamenting about price seems to come from individuals who recognize how great these cars are but are unhappy about having to pony up the extra cash for something special. I’ve also lost count of the many who regret selling their ZHP’s.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Yeah, I posted this article over in general chat, but I agree with both of you. I think it is unfortunate the price of admission for these cars is going up, but at the same time, it shouldn't be surprising. If you yearn for the BMW ethos of old that doesn't really exist anymore, then your only option is to go with older era cars. The ZHP fits that bill pretty well, especially since it's the most performance oriented E46 below the more expensive M3.

Another factor : the supply is getting low. If you check the ads in our classifieds section, there are not too many besides the auction ones.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I think it is unfortunate the price of admission for these cars is going up, but at the same time, it shouldn't be surprising. If you yearn for the BMW ethos of old that doesn't really exist anymore, then your only option is to go with older era cars.
    Same thing is happening with 2002s & E30s.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

True enough about a diminishing supply driving the price up. On the subject of an alternative to the ZHP, I’ve recently picked up an interest in 2004-2006 Infiniti G35’s. The RWD ones are pretty rare—especially the ones with standard transmission. I’m also interested in the AWD ones which, like 330xi’s are rear-biased. I’d try that route, but I still hope to find a low-mileage 330i or 330xi.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Another factor : the supply is getting low. If you check the ads in our classifieds section, there are not too many besides the auction ones.
    Oh yeah, browsing through Craigslist across the country, supplies are drying up. Not nearly as many available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were to allow myself to go with a 2-seater, I’d consider a 1999-2001 Corvette or an ND Miata. Got any other suggestions?

A couple years ago, I passed on a 2004 330xi with sport package and less than 30,000 miles for $13k, because the timing wasn’t right. Still kicking myself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast