Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cleaning plastic headlight covers vs....

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Palm Beach County, FL
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Looks like the listing is still up after all this time: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-E46...72.m2749.l2649
    Awesome thanks
    Do you still have to remove and replace the whole assembly to affix this?

    And you said the fitment, how big of problem was it, did you have to cut or execute and permanent damage to make it fit

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Awesome thanks
    Do you still have to remove and replace the whole assembly to affix this?

    And you said the fitment, how big of problem was it, did you have to cut or execute and permanent damage to make it fit

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No you just pop them out of the clips, takes a couple of seconds. Fitment problems arise around the headlight sealing rubber, there may be some gaps because the rubber is contoured to fit the original lenses. You can either get some new gaskets ($$$) or just live with occasional condensation like I do.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Palm Beach County, FL
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    No you just pop them out of the clips, takes a couple of seconds. Fitment problems arise around the headlight sealing rubber, there may be some gaps because the rubber is contoured to fit the original lenses. You can either get some new gaskets ($$$) or just live with occasional condensation like I do.
    Ya if condensation is the only problem then I'll be fine with that here in Florida I think...

    Do bulbs burn hot enough to evaporate the condensation?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Ya if condensation is the only problem then I'll be fine with that here in Florida I think...

    Do bulbs burn hot enough to evaporate the condensation?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Your experience might vary but usually the condensation disappears by itself a couple hours after the rain stops. Not sure what it will be like in Florida where it's more humid than NC.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Palm Beach County, FL
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Your experience might vary but usually the condensation disappears by itself a couple hours after the rain stops. Not sure what it will be like in Florida where it's more humid than NC.
    Ya humidity is definitely an issue here so... Maybe I'll spring for the FCP or just get a whole new assembly with HID... Feels like all this other stuff are bandaids.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    That's the thing, I think my bulbs are a bit blown because they'll look more yellow than I think they should be... They just don't look like they have any real illumination at all, bad plastic cover or not...

    Might just shell out for a replacement honestly...

    Did you ever end up replacing the whole assembly?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I didn't replace the whole assembly. I've considered a new Magneti Marelli set but that's way down my to-do list. I hear you can find AL sets on eBay. The AL brand doesn't suffer from burnt bowls. Apparently that's what all the e46 325i sedans have : AL headlamps.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    150,000 miles

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,350
    you can just replace the rubber seal on the headlight if you have condensation problems. Might as well do that as you are replacing the lenses.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    4,432
    This is what I bought 1.5 years ago. Still completely clear. BUT, the fit was not the best and only about 80% of the surface of the plastic matted with the rubber seal.

    STILL, moister has not gotten in there to make things bad (that I can see).

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

    328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; all stock
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-28-2020, 06:19 PM
  2. (Sold): New headlight lenses/covers for e46 sedan- $60
    By Sreten in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2017, 07:17 PM
  3. FS: BNIB Genuine BMW ZKW Sedan Headlight Covers + Gaskets
    By ClimRox in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2015, 06:57 AM
  4. WTB: Headlight Vertical Aim Motor Plastic Connector Piece (White)
    By derbo in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2015, 05:42 PM
  5. Headlight Washer Covers?
    By mLuMaN83 in forum General -- ZHP Related
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •