Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Rebuilt vanos from DrVanos ($320 OTD) or Beisan Systems Seals+Rattle Repair Kit ($127 OTD)

Hey all.

Been doing quite a bit of searching for how I should proceed and wanted some input. I am just nearing 200k mi and would like to take care of the Vanos while changing the valve cover gasket that's starting to wear. I know the dual vanos on our cars apparently has faulty o-rings, and so I think now is a good opportunity to fix that issue. Better late than never right? 🥴

Anyway, I can't decide if at this point I should just get a rebuilt dual vanos from DrVanos with their Viton O-rings and teflon seals pre-installed, or just rebuild it at my indy with the seals & rattle repair kits I'd buy from Beisan Systems. I have noticed definite delay/lag when taking off, but I haven't heard the rattle people on YouTube have posted about. I have felt a slight rattle just before shifting from 2nd or 3rd gear, but that may be something else. In any case I know it's time I handled the Vanos while doing the VCG and I might as well do seals+rattle if I go the Beisan route.

Rattle and seals repair kit from Beisan Systems = $127 out the door
    Dual Vanos rebuilt from DrVanos = $320 out the door (after returning core)

I'm by no means well versed in mechanic work, so I don't think it's something I could do myself. I mention this because whatever option I decide, I would have to have my indy perform the work. Would I save $ on labor by just having my indy swap in a rebuilt Vanos instead of having them perform the seals/rattle installs?

Also, is there anything else I should be doing while changing the VCG?

Thanks in advance.
    200K REFRESH PROJECT

Nvm. Founds these threads that are pretty damn close to the questions I've asked here. Don't know why I couldn't find these earlier. Oops.
    For anyone in the same position:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ian-Vs-DrVanos
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...S-Rebuild-Cost
    200K REFRESH PROJECT

what did you end up going with? thinking of tackling this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    FWIW I did the Beisan systems VANOS seals rebuild kit and it worked for a while but then failed and I replaced it with a Dr. VANOS kit and it’s been great since. Most people that have done the Beisan replacement have had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    Went with Beisan, and opted to do both the seals and rattle even though I dont share the same sound symptom of the rattle I've heard from YouTube vids, I have felt a slight rattle while shifting at low gears that may or may not be attributed to that. Nearing 200k anyway, and can't hurt.

I also chose Beisan instead of DrVanos because I've read some people's rebuilt DrVanos units have ended up failing pretty early down the line and I figured I'd trust my existing unit that's brought me to 200k with new seals. Even though I read it a few times, it probably affected the slim minority, but that and the added cost of that route, I figured I'd benefit more from Beisan. A lot of the work is getting to the vanos itself. Shouldn't change labor costs by much.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    FWIW I did the Beisan systems VANOS seals rebuild kit and it worked for a while but then failed and I replaced it with a Dr. VANOS kit and it’s been great since. Most people that have done the Beisan replacement have had no issues
    Interesting. I'll probably go the same route as you if these fail down the line. It was a tough choice between the two. How long have you had your Dr. Vanos unit?
    200K REFRESH PROJECT

I’ve installed many Beisan kits and they have never failed on me, not once. I’ve installed them on 10-12 E46’s including my 4 e46s and one ZHP. You can’t go wrong with Rajaje and he was the one who created the first VANOS solution. His stuff is top notch and the rattle fix cleaned up my very awful sounding ZHP. Good choice. Heck, send me your VANOS and I’ll rebuild it for you for free.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    I’ve installed many Beisan kits and they have never failed on me, not once. I’ve installed them on 10-12 E46’s including my 4 e46s and one ZHP. You can’t go wrong with Rajaje and he was the one who created the first VANOS solution. His stuff is top notch and the rattle fix cleaned up my very awful sounding ZHP. Good choice. Heck, send me your VANOS and I’ll rebuild it for you for free.
    Hey I appreciate the reassurance! Thanks
    200K REFRESH PROJECT

I should add, I'm about the only person I've heard on here that has had issues with the Beisan systems replacement. I would chalk it up to user error, although I'm fairly confident I did everything correct.

Autozone.com
    Well, any product fan fail. It just doesnt happen often with Beisan.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck