Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face 9012 (HIR) bulb retrofit for fogs ?

I am not a big fan of LEDs in halogen/regular housings... SO, being old school, i was wondering how to spice up the fogs a little bit while staying halogen. I use them with parking lights a lot as my "DRL"s.

I came across this very affordable retrofit of 9012 HIR bulbs to fit in to 9006 (what ZHP fog use) housings.

HIR 9012 puts out almost double the amount of light at same wattage due to HIR tech. It's a popular mod apparently and can be done easily.

Some info regrading this mod:

https://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

I think I am going to do it, after I find a decent 9012 HIR-2 (HIR-2 is apparently even brighter than 1st gen HIR)

Thoughts? words of encouragements?
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I prefer the LED fogs because they put out a bright clean light. The ones I use on both of my E46 BMWs are the Morimoto LED fog lights. They are not LEDs within halogen fog light enclosures... they are LEDs in enclosures made for them.

https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto...hts?quantity=1

This is the link to them. I highly recommend you take a look. Whether I'm cruising down the highway in my M3 or ZHP... when I have my running lights on with these Morimoto LED fogs lit, cars move out of my way when I come up on them. They are amazing fog lights...

tbh, it's kind of like using HID in the fogs. Like that's how the beam looks, it's just dimmer than HID but brighter than normal halogens. the fogs don't really have a beam pattern, it's more like an oval flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    tbh, it's kind of like using HID in the fogs. Like that's how the beam looks, it's just dimmer than HID but brighter than normal halogens. the fogs don't really have a beam pattern, it's more like an oval flashlight.
    I deleted this post because I need to go back to sleep and reset my brain... SMFH!!
    Last edited by cakM3; 03-16-2021 at 10:37 AM.

9012 (HIR) bulb retrofit for fogs ?

I originally went the route of upgrading the bulbs in the OE fog lights, definitely brighter but not a good useable light pattern. I was constantly getting flashed.

Flash forward to the Morimoto LED Fog Lights, no pun intended. Excellent light output with a nice cut-off line. No more getting flashed! Also these go perfect with my modded headlights, ZKW lenses, custom shields and 5000k bulbs!

Also the Morimoto Fog lights have a 10 year warranty.

This is what happens when you go with a brighter bulb in a reflector housing. Ya it’s brighter but not on the useable good side.

Morimoto LED Fogs.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 03-16-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Thanks guys, I will def look at the links and info
    A lot over my planned budget but I guess you pay for good quality and warranty.

And is that pic of a higher power halogen bulb in a normal housing or a LED in normal housing?
    I certainly don't want to bother other drivers.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

9012 (HIR) bulb retrofit for fogs ?

LED bulbs in the stock fog light housing.

$160 Here for the Morimoto’s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173938862215
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

I've also gone down the LED bulbs in halogen housing route and it was rather terrible. No usable light output and it was extremely blinding.
    I now also have the Morimoto LED fog lights and love them.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    LED bulbs in the stock fog light housing.
    Oh ok. That's a relief because I was afraid it was some HIR like halogen bulb in the housing. I will never install LED bulbs in stock housing. It's gonna be a better halogen in stock housing OR a legit LED setup like Morimotos. Your pic of them does look amazing. Such a nice cut-off.

Although not as bright as Morimoto or other good LED assembly will be, I just wanna try it out as it is super cheap to get some 9012 HIR halogens and retrofit, as sort of an experiment. I am going to do it and post some pics here and see what you guys think. It's gonna pale in comparison to the Morimotos I am sure, but also not as candle-like as the current 9006 bulbs are.

I really do want to get some Morimotos later on probably - but right now I am in the "small/cheap improvement" mode, as the ZHP is getting somewhat of a cosmetic and mechanical refresh after a long hiatus... I haven;t neglected it mechanically. But a LOT of "Life" happened in the past few years and the cosmetic upkeep kinda fell off. I think I posted on ZHP a week ago or so, after several years.

As a start, I got Gretchen (that's her name) a full interior detail with steam cleaning and a full exterior detail and she looks like new for the moment. I am also thinking of putting the ZHP wheels back on after getting the road rash repaired (color change...? perhaps) in place of the "beater" wheels (from a 1 series 135i, 5 spoke wheel...idk the style...264 perhaps??) I have on now.

these are in store for Gretchen this year:

- cooling system refresh (ECS level 2 probably) - local BMW indie shop will install
    - ATF drain/ fill + filter change (local BMW indie shop) - i will have to select fluid - lots of research ahead
    - trunk latch replacement (DIY)
    - "pop up" /completely open trunk with key fob" mod (DIY)
    - fog light change to 9012 (DIY)
    - Get the upgraded DISA valve installed (local BMW shop - I already have the part)
    - refresh bumper grill (DIY)
    - window switch replacement in middle console (have the part already) - DIY (the button that opens the rear pass. quarter window is binding/sticking)
    - LED bulbs for trunk (DIY)
    -LED backup lights (DIY)
    - need to get a trunk liner
    -Need to replace sagging fabric on A pillars (or get new A pillars and C pillars)
    - Peel off old paint protection film from bumper (DIY? hope so) - at some point will have to get front bumper repainted
    - Finally use that XP laptop I got years ago just for the car, and get the PASOFT going and do some simple coding. Already have the adapter and SW... hope i can install it without help. but I might hit up Botond or Tony if I do.

So because of all this, I am kinda trying to do some of the more "not so critical" / cosmetic mods at the lower level, and save the $$ for the mechanical/critical procedures.

But I must admit those Morimotos seem to be the real deal. Definitely will do in the future. I have saved the links - wish I had gotten them when there was a group buy a long time ago.
    Last edited by Washburn; 03-17-2021 at 06:58 AM.

I agree not installing HID/LEDs inside the OE fog light enclosures. The light output would be distorted and blind oncoming traffic.

The Morimoto LED fogs are, to me, are the best solution to upgrading fog light lighting. They put out a bright clean light with proper fog beam pattern as well as a clearly defined cutoff when properly aimed will never blind oncoming traffic.

You can clearly see the cutoff in this picture. The difference in light output between the OE halogen fogs and Morimoto LED fogs can be seen in the picture below.

In my opinion, it is money well spent to get the Morimoto LED fog lights

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast