Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

I did a brake overhaul on my ZHP

I just finished overhauling the front and rear brakes on my recently acquired ZHP. I replaced the front calipers with ATE remanufactured ones and cleaned and repainted the rears. All new ATE bushings, guide pins, rubber brake lines, Zimmerman Sport rotors, BMW brake pads, parking brake rebuild both front and rear.

I also painted the calipers and carriers semi gloss black like the E46 M3.

Name:  IMG_0321.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  198.9 KBName:  IMG_0360.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  198.9 KBLove the look.Name:  IMG_0371 (002).jpg
Views: 196
Size:  145.1 KB
    Last edited by NachoB; 03-17-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Looks good! Maybe I should get around to painting my calipers, but I'd want to find something that really withstands heat since mine get hot at the track.

Handbrake rebuild is also nice, when I did mine the shoes had no friction material at all. So now my handbrake actually works lol

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Yes, no track on mine but I repainted my calipers with the same paint in 2015 on my other ZHP and they still look great. the key is a good cleaning and two coats, letting it dry between coats. Yeah my handbrake shoes had plenty of material but they had gotten hard with age and not holding as well is it should. I figured I was in there and do it all. They look tremendous behind the wheels because it's still a stock-ish look. It was a lot of work but they look great. i also replaced all the bolts so feel better on fresh brakes. These Zimmerman Sport rotors are awesome for a single piece rotor. They look great and feel stops just like OE, same bite etc. They are hard to find but worth the effort. Great rotor still made in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    These Zimmerman Sport rotors are awesome for a single piece rotor. They look great and feel stops just like OE, same bite etc. They are hard to find but worth the effort. Great rotor still made in Germany.
    Where did you find them? Thanks!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Where did you find them? Thanks!
    FCP Euro is the only place that I found carries front and rears. I found a couple of places that only carry the front. They were a little less than FCP but with the free shipping, just makes sense to get them from FCP. Both Front and rears are made in Germany. They have the same bite as OE BMW rotors when using BMW pads. The front pads are made by Jurid on the ZHP but when I was shopping I found that the Jurid pads were made in eastern Europe. The BMW ones also say Jurid but box says made in Germany. Could just be old stock and now all made in Eastern Europe. The rear pads are made by Textar and also said made in Germany but Textar is now made in China so not sure if just older BMW stock or if BMW stuff coming from different plant. Anyway, Zimmerman sport all German iron and I give them 6 out of 5 stars. They are less than the BMW Performance rotors albeit one piece but are very well made and and look great on the car for half the price of the two piece BMW performance. I put the BMW Performance on another ZHP and they are the best for sure but crazy money and you can't get the rears anymore, they are discontinued.

Name:  box.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  135.7 KBName:  fcp.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  119.3 KB

Brembo Xtra is the other option in case the Zimmerman drilled are not available.

330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    FCP Euro is the only place that I found carries front and rears. I found a couple of places that only carry the front. They were a little less than FCP but with the free shipping, just makes sense to get them from FCP. Both Front and rears are made in Germany. They have the same bite as OE BMW rotors when using BMW pads. The front pads are made by Jurid on the ZHP but when I was shopping I found that the Jurid pads were made in eastern Europe. The BMW ones also say Jurid but box says made in Germany. Could just be old stock and now all made in Eastern Europe. The rear pads are made by Textar and also said made in Germany but Textar is now made in China so not sure if just older BMW stock or if BMW stuff coming from different plant. Anyway, Zimmerman sport all German iron and I give them 6 out of 5 stars. They are less than the BMW Performance rotors albeit one piece but are very well made and and look great on the car for half the price of the two piece BMW performance. I put the BMW Performance on another ZHP and they are the best for sure but crazy money and you can't get the rears anymore, they are discontinued.

Name:  box.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  135.7 KBName:  fcp.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  119.3 KB
    Free lifetime warranty as well at FCP. When these brakes are done, you can get a free replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Brembo Xtra is the other option in case the Zimmerman drilled are not available.

Yes, I agree but only if Zimmerman discontinued. Zimmerman made in Germany like the car. Brembo while a great company has dissapointed me in the past. The brake pad and disc are a unit with and that is why they are replaced together nowadays. While i was a huge Brembo fan, I had first hand experience with the composition of the discs affecting performance. I had a Legacy GT that all four rotors warped but it had excellent braking otherwise. I decided to use the Subaru factory pads because of the aforementioned good braking but purchased 4 brand new Brembo rotors from Tire Rack. As I took off the Subaru rotors I was struck by a weight difference. The Subaru rotors were heavier and the metal felt slightly softer. The Brembos were slightly lighter and the metal had a beautiful finish and seemed harder. I was initially excited about the the look and less weight of the Brembo but after swapping brakes, the Subie did not have the same cold bite as before. Remember I used the same Subaru pads so only change was the Brembo rotors. After several weeks of lame braking, I decided to try replacing the pads thinking they were bad. I replaced them with another set of Subaru pads, no difference. Finally after some research I began to read about carbon content and metallurgy should be matched to the pad. So I bought another set of Subaru rotors, put them on with the same Pad and Kapow, awesome braking again. I threw Brembos away. So bottom line, the Zimmermans appear to have the right metallurgy that works perfectly with BMW pads and will not risk another $400 on Brembo when I can get perfect German rotors. If at some point the Zimmermans are not available, I might try the Brembos again but I can tell that Brembo did not do their work when it came to Subaru rotors. I hope that explains it.