Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cooling system refresh Kits- which of the 3?

I apologize for addressing a topic that has been discussed and I did read through many of the previous posts.
    However, over time, contents of these kits and prices have changed quite a bit, along with prices, and reputations, too.

SO, with my car 67k miles, I am thinking of using a cooling system refresh - my indie BMW place is OK with me bringing in a kit and charging me for labor as long as the kit is from a "reputable" source. I am not able to DIY any parts of this, and my DIY ability is limited to much simpler stuff.

So... I looked at 3 kits, and I was wondering if someone take a cursory look, and see if any of these kits is a NO, or if any of them are better than the others. They are pretty similar, BUT i might miss something a more experienced eye would see. I really would like to order it as a whole kit, and not interested in putting different parts together UNLESS it is 1 or 2 obvious parts that is a definite no.

TURNER: LEVEL 3
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...h-kit-level-3/

FCP: (IS THIS ONE TOO....SPARSE?)
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...oem-e46coolkit

ECS LEVEL 3
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...78430nobeltkt/
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

With your mileage the FCP will do the job, I feel, plus the items that typically go bad are guaranteed with their lifetime replacement coverage. I don't like/trust the Meyle parts in the other two kits (Turner, ECS & Pelican are all the same company now). You might consider changing the serpentine belt (& A/C belt) while you're in there.

You can go in deeper at 100k & remove the intake manifold to do the hard plastic coolant pipes, CCV system, heater hoses, pulleys & tensioners, valve cover & intake gaskets & seals, etc... I did all the stuff under the hood last winter on my 2003 530i with 140k, including radiator & power steering system. I've owned it since 45k & knew what had never been done.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I don't like/trust the Meyle parts in the other two kits (Turner, ECS & Pelican are all the same company now). .
    Thanks for the reply

So, the Meyle expansion tank is in ECS/Tuner kits, and it is a REIN in the FCPEuro kit.
    I haven't had much experience with either brands, so you're saying the Rein ET is better? Or should I look for the updated version by BMW? (which I think is a bit thicker?)

As far as going deeper later... won't it save some $$ in labor and parts to do it all now? Or do you think I should do nothing at the moment and just wait until around 90-100k and do it ALL at the same time?

Thanks again
    Last edited by Washburn; 03-28-2021 at 09:23 AM.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I've been disappointed in Meyle stuff over the past few years, even their HD parts. I went with genuine BMW radiator & expansion tank for the E39 refresh, but used the Rein hoses, etc. - no problems. Yes, you should be able to save some $$ by having the shop do the belts, pulleys, tensioners & power steering components while they're working at the front of the engine, but do they charge by the hour or by the book (time allowables)?

Oil filter housing gasket might be something to consider, too.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I am going to check if ECS or Tuner would allow me to substitute the exp tank for a BMW (updated version) or a Behr.
    If they allow that, do you think the Turner and ECS kits are decent? I'd rather use a " bigger" / more complete kit and get it all/almost all done in one go, rather than doing it 20k or so miles later.

And thanks for the recc re: oil filter housing gasket.
    Will def check into that. OE BMW should be good enough for that, I am assuming?

The VC gaskets, IIRC correctly, were already done when I had the Beisan VANOS+anti-ratte kit installed at like 50k as preventative maintenance. But will check for sure.

So this is my edited cart from Turner... removed radiator for now and changed expansion tank...

Any thoughts/feedback??

Name:  cooling 1.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  118.5 KB
    Name:  cooling 2.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  96.1 KB
    Name:  cooling 3.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  93.1 KB
    Name:  cooling 4.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  cooling 5.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  cooling 6.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  86.9 KB
    Name:  cooling 7.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  91.1 KB

Out of curiosity, why dont you order the same parts from FCP? You will never have to buy them again when it’s time to replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Out of curiosity, why dont you order the same parts from FCP? You will never have to buy them again when it’s time to replace them.
    Thanks!

I just put a list together at Turner because the guy who chatted with me was able to customize the kit and add it to my cart so I could edit/add as I wanted, and It was easy to take screenshot of my edited cart. I didn't see such an option (to chat and add a kit individually broken down and added to cart, which only they can do I guess?) at FCP.

but now that I have the part numbers I guess I can do the same at FCP.
    Doesn't matter to me where I get it from and makes sense to get from FCP if same parts are in stock, as you suggested.

I just want to make sure that my parts list is OK and nothing is missing, for now. Then I can order from whichever store I prefer, like FCP.

I was able to reuse hardware, as well as mud & protection caps from the old parts. I've read about the metal bleeder screws cutting into the plastic expansion tank & causing a leak, so stayed with a plastic bleeder screw. Consider the Saleri PA659S water pump = OEM. Saving you a bit here to spend there!

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I was able to reuse hardware, as well as mud & protection caps from the old parts. I've read about the metal bleeder screws cutting into the plastic expansion tank & causing a leak, so stayed with a plastic bleeder screw. Consider the Saleri PA659S water pump = OEM. Saving you a bit here to spend there!
    Thanks for the tip re: bleeder screw - I guess I will change it back to a regular one.

About the water pump:
    I thought one needed to get one with METAL impellers? So does the Saleri have one?
    I just thought all these kits have Geba / Graf / Stewart because the OE one had composite impellers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast