Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Turner Shifter Bushing Kit

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...30ici-6-speed/

Anyone ever installed this? I put one on a couple weeks ago with huge help from a DIY on e46fanatics. After way too much time I finally got it on and am very happy with the reduction of shifter slop. That said, I did have a few issues.

1) The Teflon bushings that go on the front of the lever arm were sized poorly. The kit comes with 4 to replace the two rubber bushings. The problem is that the Teflon ones are too deep to fit two of them on each side. We ended up having to grind them down until they fit properly.

2) The replacement socket that fits on the ball of the selector shaft was unusable. The metal pin that holds it in place would only fit through one of the guide holes, so it wouldn’t go all the way through the socket. Thankfully I didn’t snap the circle clip on the original so I could still use that. Also the new foam bushing was waaay too thick. I know part of the goal is thicker, but there was no way to press it on to the selector shaft so I had to shave it down. I was still left with a much thicker foam disc than the one I removed, but it was a hassle to get the fitting correct and I worry that shaving it down cost me a little firmness in the shifter.

The rear bushing however was perfect so at least there’s that.

Overall I would say great results from the kit, but some real fitment headaches. I also had no issues with the “bitch clips”. But I did remove the driveshaft and lower the transmission an inch or so.

I put one in my 2003 330ci (5 speed) when I did the clutch in January. I had similar issues with mine, but I was able to get the selector rod joint on with the help of some well placed prying with a prybar and some luck. On my ZF equipped 5 speed car, the gear noise was pretty noticeable, but the slop was all but gone. But it made the car unpleasant as a daily driver. I ended up removing the rear bushing and front bushing of the shifter handle shaft and opting for factory rubber. More play, but easier to live with.

Perhaps the 6 speed trans in the ZHP is just quieter and thus you didn't have that issue. If not for the noise, I loved it.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

I saw that kit when I did a shifter rebuild but opted to build out my own kit due to reading about fitment issues.

I went with oe bmw parts besides the rear turner motorsport blue bushing. It provided an improvement but overtime play and noise developed. So I ended up removing it and going with a factory part.

In regards to the part with the foam, I had 0 issues installing it. Taped it on with a rubber mallet and it fit like a glove.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Interesting about the noise. So far it hasn’t been an issue. I did wonder about a pry bar or mallet but it felt like so much force against the selector shaft. Well maybe I’ll end up having to do this again in a couple years. Will stick to OE if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSc View Post
    Interesting about the noise. So far it hasn’t been an issue. I did wonder about a pry bar or mallet but it felt like so much force against the selector shaft. Well maybe I’ll end up having to do this again in a couple years. Will stick to OE if that happens.
    Did you end up replacing the selector shaft seal?

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Ugh. I didn’t because I had waited weeks for it to arrive and finally gave up. Leak from old shaft was pretty minimal. Of course a few days after doing the job it shows up...

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Did you end up replacing the selector shaft seal?

When I did this I spent WEEKS trying to get that damn seal out and finally just mashed a new one in on top of it.

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    When I did this I spent WEEKS trying to get that damn seal out and finally just mashed a new one in on top of it.
    Same, except the first bit. Read some threads saying how hard it was so I spent 5 mins trying then just put the new one on top

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)