Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fixing Lock Cylinder and Options for Key FOB

So since my key FOB died on both keys and I haven't gotten new keys, now overusing the manual lock broke the cylinder, which was clearly not meant to be used like that over and over.

So

1. Is this as simple as replacing just that lock cylinder, get one from basically anywhere or only genuine BMW part and fair price? And I assume this is a pretty easy job?

2. What is the cheapest option for a couple new key FOB... Or just bite the bullet and pay like $300+ at the dealer for two?

3. FYI I did try replacing the battery on one key a long time ago and it didn't work... I know about the process, not easy, but either I screwed up the solder or whatever or it's something else.

Should I just try replacing the battery on my second key anyways? Can't hurt it any right, as far as starting the ignition etc?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

The battery on your key fob is dead. All you need to do is replace the battery. There are DIYs out there that will show you how to do this. I have replaced the battery on my M3's key fob. It is not hard to do if you follow the DIY...

In fact I made a DIY to do this. Try looking in the DIY section you would be surprised to find lot of good information if you looked

Here's the DIY I made:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...eplacement-DIY

I actually read the other day that some have had success reviving a dead key battery by leaving it on an electric toothbrush charger for a day. Worth a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    The battery on your key fob is dead. All you need to do is replace the battery. There are DIYs out there that will show you how to do this. I have replaced the battery on my M3's key fob. It is not hard to do if you follow the DIY...

In fact I made a DIY to do this. Try looking in the DIY section you would be surprised to find lot of good information if you looked

Here's the DIY I made:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...eplacement-DIY
    As I said, it didn't work... Not sure how to fix it, I made no obvious mistakes back then so... Followed all the same directions you're referring to now.

Hankook Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I actually read the other day that some have had success reviving a dead key battery by leaving it on an electric toothbrush charger for a day. Worth a shot!
    That almost makes sense... Need to go find a charger...

Hankook Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    As I said, it didn't work... Not sure how to fix it, I made no obvious mistakes back then so... Followed all the same directions you're referring to now.
    Did you do this once? It could be possible just maybe you got a bad battery. I find it strange that you were unsuccessful in your attempt to replace the battery in your key fob when I did this and had no problem swapping out batteries using my DIY.

My key fob works perfectly to this day….

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

When I bought my car, the previous owner had his second key in a drawer for the 9 years he owned it. Dead, dead, dead. I put a battery charger on my car and then left the key in the ignition in the "ON" position overnight so that the key would charge from the ignition charger ring.

Worked great
    Pete

I've bought the lock repair pieces for 2 cars from a TX seller on eBay - worked great. There are You Tube videos to walk you through the process.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    So I been trying this, the hard part is this charger has a little stick protruding from the base to support the hole in the toothbrush base, so its impossible to lay the key on any flat part of the charger, so I just kinda leaned it against it and charged overnight... surprisingly it was able to lock the door in on try, but then of course it didnt open it until I tried like 20 times luckily it opened, and so doesn't seem like it's going to work. Nice idea though... maybe with like another charger more powerful flat base, like a wireless phone charger?
    Hankook Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Did you do this once? It could be possible just maybe you got a bad battery. I find it strange that you were unsuccessful in your attempt to replace the battery in your key fob when I did this and had no problem swapping out batteries using my DIY.

My key fob works perfectly to this day….

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

I guess I can try with another battery... do you remember without much trouble the model battery?

All I remember was the hardest part was getting the key open... so I didnt think I did anything wrong and I cant remember the last time I got a dead new battery.
    Hankook Ventus V12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast