Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st and reverse gear popping out of gear.

Hello,

I need help from my ZHP aficionados. First and reverse gear has been popping out of gear in the last month. I am positive the gear is fully engaged. The odd part the behavior is inconsistent for example the shop bucking the car by letting the clutch out fast in 1st gear without it disengaging. In some cases, it will pop out of gear under light throttle load and other times its fine at 3400 RPM under medium throttle. No issues with 2nd to 6th gear is fine under full throttle.

An audible pop sound [although no grinding sound] can be heard when the transmission decides to disengage.

Does anybody have any ideas that would cause this?

I'm really hoping I don't need to replace the transmission.

Car history/debugging can be found here:
    * (May 2012) - Transmission fluid replacement completed at 108,358 [Redline 75-90 Gear Oil]
    * (August 2012) - Transmission fluid replacement completed at 110,425 [OEM MTF-LT-2 fluid] - Shifting was too notchy with Redline and went back to OEM fluid
    * (Mid April 2021) - Shop installed Autosolutions short shifter, Rouge transmission mount, Guibo replaced, and Driveshaft CV joint
    * (~ First week of May) - 1st & Reverse gear popping out of gear
    * (~2nd week of May) - Issue occurs more frequently
    * (May 19th) - Car sent to shop and is able to reproduce the issue
    * (May 27) - Autosolution sent out a new shifter and still popping out of gear

Next steps:

* Reinstall OEM shifter
    Last edited by FungShui; 05-28-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Interlagous Blue | Maritime dash and console trim | 6MT
    UUC short shifter, Euro cats, CSL Euro headers, Evolve CSL Intake and tune, TC Klein Smart Design Double Adjustable Coilovers, Dinan strut brace, CDV Delete, ZHP shift knob, Arkym splitter and spoiler, WPC Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Apex Arc-8, VAC Pump Upgrade, Bluebus

So the shop has informed me that 1st gear is still popping out of gear after swapping to the stock shifter. Their recommendation is replacing the transmission.

I found one dealership that is selling remanufactured 6 speed transmission for $3,000.

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...007532498.html

The other option is try find a transmission on CL or ebay but I'm not sure if its worth risk of getting a bad unit. Is there a reputable BMW dismantler that I should contact for parts?
    UUC short shifter, Euro cats, CSL Euro headers, Evolve CSL Intake and tune, TC Klein Smart Design Double Adjustable Coilovers, Dinan strut brace, CDV Delete, ZHP shift knob, Arkym splitter and spoiler, WPC Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Apex Arc-8, VAC Pump Upgrade, Bluebus

If it comes to it, I do see one on the web in Minnesota for $799 includes freight: https://recyclebmws.com/bmw-e46-zhp-...eed-manual-zf/

Might be worth a call.....
    Pete

A bit of a gamble and I'm talking out of my butt, but have you tried seeing what prices are like for local yards that might have ZHPs?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    A bit of a gamble and I'm talking out of my butt, but have you tried seeing what prices are like for local yards that might have ZHPs?
    Don't know if junkyards really keep tabs on zhp vs non-zhp... but OP you're probably better off doing a rear m3 conversion with the LSD diff and 6 speed off an m3 while you're at it

Quote Originally Posted by BH93 View Post
    Don't know if junkyards really keep tabs on zhp vs non-zhp... but OP you're probably better off doing a rear m3 conversion with the LSD diff and 6 speed off an m3 while you're at it
    My local wrecking yard does, but YMMV.

Is an M3 transmission plug and play with an M54?

looks like our 6MT was also used in the 5 Series, might broaden your search, but I've read even the Z4 too

But here's what Realoem said assuming I've got the right part number:

Exch. 6 speed gearbox
    GS6-37BZ - THEG
    Supersedes:
    23007523981(03/03/2003 — 06/18/2003)
    Part 23007532498 was found on the following vehicles:
    3' E46   (09/1999 — 08/2006)
    5' E60   (12/2001 — 02/2005)
    5' E61   (10/2002 — 02/2005)
    Pete

My local wrecking yard does, but YMMV.

Is an M3 transmission plug and play with an M54?
    If you use the rear end + drive shaft + transmission I believe everything just bolts right up to the M54

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    If it comes to it, I do see one on the web in Minnesota for $799 includes freight: https://recyclebmws.com/bmw-e46-zhp-...eed-manual-zf/

Might be worth a call.....
    Thanks for everyone's input!

I tried to purchase the remanufactured transmission from the BMW website and was later notified that it was NLA. I had a feeling it was NLA but I figured it worth a try.

However, I was able to source a ZHP transmission from Sacramento. I dropped off the transmission off at the shop earlier today.

The clutch and pilot bearing will be replaced while the transmission is out.

Quote Originally Posted by BH93 View Post
    If you use the rear end + drive shaft + transmission I believe everything just bolts right up to the M54
    Yes, I believe Derbo did something very similar with his ZHP.

Happy to report the car feels great after the transmission swap and new clutch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast