Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weird noise from muffler/undercarriage?

No matter what's happened before with my car, one never heard this type of noise, was highly disconcerting this morning in my way to work, luckily I don't go far, but the sound is obvious, like a bad muffler or an old clunker... There is DEFINITELY some loss of horsepower when initiating movement and I think even while driving.

I can also FEEL the vibration on the gas pedal when I press on it.

Not a good feeling at all... I'm hoping it's just something loose but.....

One disclaimer... I did have the stock muffler replaced with an M3 or M3 style muffler several years ago when I hit my engine replace. It sounds way better than stock ZHP (and about 25% louder) and I've never looked back, until now.

Ideas? Tests?

Here is the sound:

While stop and go driving in gears 1-2:
    https://youtu.be/M-it-z3aLoM

Idle:
    https://youtu.be/6UASAn23_I8

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Kinda sounds like mine did when it lost a coil pack and went down to 5 cylinders. Do you have a CEL?

I can’t hear a single issue in your driving video, the wind noise covers whatever you are trying to document.

The second video sounds like you are down a cylinder. Check coil packs/spark plugs
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Kinda sounds like mine did when it lost a coil pack and went down to 5 cylinders. Do you have a CEL?
    Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    I can’t hear a single issue in your driving video, the wind noise covers whatever you are trying to document.

The second video sounds like you are down a cylinder. Check coil packs/spark plugs

You guys are amazing... that what my new mobile mech said, he said that in 2 seconds when he heard it...

How often do these cars need tuneups? Totally forgot about that.....

He is coming tomorrow to do the tuneup... can you tell me if these prices are reasonable? He said I need all these, wants to do the job "right":

Spark plugs iridium (premium?) $66
    $100 for part on top of spark plugs? I think he said like car cap or fac or something...
    Air filter $18
    Throttle body clean $10
    Fuel filter (no need)
    Contact cleaner $5
    $250 tune up labor

And he said adamantly that Castrol Titanium 5w-30 is better than Mobile 1, with
    Phram oil filter.

In here I thought most said Mobile 1 0w-40 was the best for this car?
    Hankook Ventus V12

I wouldn't sweat it on oil manufacturer. It is not a big deal for most folks.
    If you do not DIY at all, having a guy come over, change your spark plugs and clean your throttle body for 250 is not bad, now, if it is ~450, that gets to be steep.
    Also, may ask to clean your idle valve while cleaning the throttle body I would think.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it on oil manufacturer. It is not a big deal for most folks.
    If you do not DIY at all, having a guy come over, change your spark plugs and clean your throttle body for 250 is not bad, now, if it is ~450, that gets to be steep.
    Also, may ask to clean your idle valve while cleaning the throttle body I would think.
    Ya it was funny he was so adamant about Castrol, he was an Army guy, likes things by the book LOL, and also said Castrol cleaned out better or something like that.

He said idle valve is part of the throttle body so seemed like he got it.

How often you guys get a tuneup on your cars? He said at least once every 1-2 years? Needless to say its been long overdue for me.
    Hankook Ventus V12

Never done a tune up other than change the plug every 5 or so years. What is there to tune? What does he mean by a tune?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post

How often do these cars need tuneups? Totally forgot about that.....
    About 100k. The plugs and ignition coils tend to last a good bit of time, but it could be sooner or later as not everything lasts the same amount of time.

He is coming tomorrow to do the tuneup... can you tell me if these prices are reasonable? He said I need all these, wants to do the job "right":

Spark plugs iridium (premium?) $66 -- [b]Use NGK BKR6EQUP spark plugs as these are the generally agreed-upon "best" plug for our cars. They should be about half that price.
    $100 for part on top of spark plugs? I think he said like car cap or fac or something... Coil packs. $100 for how many coil packs? If you're paying $100 for all six coil packs, that sounds too cheap to be true and would inquire as to what brand they are. Don't use cheap crappy coil packs because it will bite you in the butt later on.
    Air filter $18
    Throttle body clean $10
    Fuel filter (no need) How many miles do you have on your fuel filter? If more than 100k, it would be a good idea to replace it.
    Contact cleaner $5
    $250 tune up labor

And he said adamantly that Castrol Titanium 5w-30 is better than Mobile 1, with
    Phram oil filter.
    I don't know if I agree with Castrol being any better than Mobil1, but I will definitely say, FRAM is the last brand of oil filter I would consider using. Use the OE Mann HU 925/4x; they are cheap ($) and great quality.

In here I thought most said Mobile 1 0w-40 was the best for this car?
    Last edited by az3579; 04-30-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    About 100k. The plugs and ignition coils tend to last a good bit of time, but it could be sooner or later as not everything lasts the same amount of time.
    Hmm he told me I should do it at least once every two years, especially if I drive fast... Got a new job location but I'm still only driving several miles a day

Hankook Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Hmm he told me I should do it at least once every two years, especially if I drive fast... Got a new job location but I'm still only driving several miles a day

That is unnecessary to do it every one or two years, unless you drive 40-50k miles per year. Or, if you want to spend money then go for it, but you won't benefit from it.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast