Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58

Thread: Richie Rich's ZHP build thread

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRichieRich View Post
    Is there a part # for the AL headlight brackets or do those typically come with the headlights? I ask because my car has AL on the driver side and ZKW on the passenger side. Looking for a used set of AL to replace the passenger side ZKW. From what I can see on RealOEM, bracket part #s are the same but they don't disclose the bracket fitment.


    I'll probably start a thread unless you know of a thread I should revive?
    Hmm maybe they are the same. I remember when I was doing a swap for a customer's car from ZKW to AL. The bracket didn't clear the ballast completely so I had to cut a part of it.

    I would start a new thread lol There's barely any meet threads in Socal. I have the 2 that I tried. I feel like this time, if it happens this year we could do it. Since most of us are home/remote work.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Hmm maybe they are the same. I remember when I was doing a swap for a customer's car from ZKW to AL. The bracket didn't clear the ballast completely so I had to cut a part of it.

    I would start a new thread lol There's barely any meet threads in Socal. I have the 2 that I tried. I feel like this time, if it happens this year we could do it. Since most of us are home/remote work.
    Sounds good, I'll see what I can find once I get the actual headlight and order the brackets that I see on RealOEM.

    I will start a thread pretty soon. Meeting at the shop will give us a lot of privacy, close to a shopping center and also access to tools if we wanted to work on a few things. No major overhauls though haha.

  3. #23
    The angel eyes should mount the same between the AL headlight assembly and the ZKW headlight assembly. Strange to see that you have one of each. I would check the ZKW headlight assembly and see whether or not the plastic bowl has been changed out for the AL or E90 projector bowl. If not this is something you will end up doing unless you just replace that headlight assembly for an AL headlight assembly.

    That is what I did for my ZHP... replaced the ZKW headlight assemblies for AL headlight assemblies and then swapped in the ZKW lens into the AL headlight assemblies for better light output. This is what I am currently running in my ZHP.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    The angel eyes should mount the same between the AL headlight assembly and the ZKW headlight assembly. Strange to see that you have one of each. I would check the ZKW headlight assembly and see whether or not the plastic bowl has been changed out for the AL or E90 projector bowl. If not this is something you will end up doing unless you just replace that headlight assembly for an AL headlight assembly.

    That is what I did for my ZHP... replaced the ZKW headlight assemblies for AL headlight assemblies and then swapped in the ZKW lens into the AL headlight assemblies for better light output. This is what I am currently running in my ZHP.
    Looks like it was swapped out. The more and more I look into the car, the more I think it got into an accident and wasn't reported. Hood isn't from this car, mismatching headlights, bumper clips weren't used properly. All good, downside to not looking at the car at my shop or doing a PPI. Currently looking for a passenger side AL headlight so I can replace the ZKW, then I'll install the angel eyes.

    When you say lens, are you talking about the outer headlight cover or the projector lens?

    Not picture worthy, but finally got the Rennlist phone mount installed (Link here: https://www.rennline.com/BMW-E46-Exa...tinfo/PM01.17/). Being that I am always on the phone for work or listening to my audiobooks, I had to go back to the trustworthy Rennlist phone mount. Had one in me E46 and F30 335i, always worked and looked sleek. Now just waiting on the Bluebus unit so I don't have to use my airpods anymore.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRichieRich View Post
    When you say lens, are you talking about the outer headlight cover or the projector lens?
    I'm talking about swapping out the actual xenon projector lens from Bosch to ZKW


    Going from this


    to this


    By doing this with the AL headlight assemblies, you get the metal bowls of the AL projectors and have the clear polished lens of the ZKW lens for a much more intense light output. I liked this mod so much that I also retrofitted the ZKW projector lens into my M3's AL headlight assemblies. The light output from these are bright.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I'm talking about swapping out the actual xenon projector lens from Bosch to ZKW


    Going from this


    to this


    By doing this with the AL headlight assemblies, you get the metal bowls of the AL projectors and have the clear polished lens of the ZKW lens for a much more intense light output. I liked this mod so much that I also retrofitted the ZKW projector lens into my M3's AL headlight assemblies. The light output from these are bright.
    ooooooo, that is a nice upgrade! You can actually see the hazy design on the AL compared to the ZKW. You wouldn't happen to have a part # or a few extra laying around would you?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRichieRich View Post
    ooooooo, that is a nice upgrade! You can actually see the hazy design on the AL compared to the ZKW. You wouldn't happen to have a part # or a few extra laying around would you?
    I'm afraid I don't have a part number for the ZKW lens. I don't think there is a part number available for this to be honest. You would have to source ZKW headlight assemblies w/ burnt bowls (cheaper that way) from eBay then you can remove the lens to swap into your AL headlight assemblies.

    I don't have any spare ZKW lens as I used my last spare set rebuilding my current ZHP's AL headlight assemblies with them.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRichieRich View Post
    ooooooo, that is a nice upgrade! You can actually see the hazy design on the AL compared to the ZKW. You wouldn't happen to have a part # or a few extra laying around would you?
    You can use the ZKW-R. They are good quality and works well.

    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/zk...KWR?quantity=1

    I feel like I might have actual ZKW lenses somewhere. I tend to save lighting parts, but no idea where they are lol

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    You can use the ZKW-R. They are good quality and works well.

    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/zk...KWR?quantity=1

    I feel like I might have actual ZKW lenses somewhere. I tend to save lighting parts, but no idea where they are lol
    if they fit in the AL frames then yes. If I remember correctly, the ZKW-Rs are the same diameter as the ZKW lens. If so then they are swappable and you will have superior lighting.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    if they fit in the AL frames then yes. If I remember correctly, the ZKW-Rs are the same diameter as the ZKW lens. If so then they are swappable and you will have superior lighting.
    Yup, they fit. The newer versions even have the notches now so you don't got to grind down that nub.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Snuffalufigus's Build/Maintanence Thread :)
    By Snuffalufigus in forum Projects
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 03:40 PM
  2. UdubBadger's "WEGOHAM" Build Thread
    By UdubBadger in forum Projects
    Replies: 939
    Last Post: 01-20-2016, 07:17 AM
  3. 94jedi's ZHP build/mod/maintenance thread....
    By 94jedi in forum Projects
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-27-2015, 03:11 AM
  4. al.330imola Build/Maintenance Thread
    By al.330imola in forum Projects
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM
  5. Richie Day's 350z.
    By C Withers Media in forum Everything Non ZHP (the place for non-ZHP photos)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •