Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There ya go! The gang solves another mystery

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    The steering wheel just started to move slightly left and right on its own. I pulled over into the parking because I thought the lug nuts were loose but when I checked them, they were all torqued down. I also checked the tires visually for any bubbles but saw nothing. I started driving and the issue went away, so I had thought maybe something got stuck to one of the tires and it came off before I could check, so I put the car away for the winter....

have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
    You know I'm starting a thread right now for some similar symptoms. I briefly mentioned on the "what did you do today" thread that my steering was vague and how entering a cross wind required me to get about 15 degrees of correction. On my commute home, "straight" changes with the road, it's unnerving and making me dislike my car.

Have you checked your steering column? It's as if no one likes to talk about it because it's like two threads on the entire internet. I'm about to start a thread about how normal this is, but where my steering shaft and lower steering column meet, there's a ton of play. I don't think this is normal and I would check if you have play there.

I finally figured it the issue that is causing the vibrations. It’s the passenger side front stuck caliper getting stuck occasionally.

What are my options here? Getting a new/used caliper? Rebuilding it myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    You know I'm starting a thread right now for some similar symptoms. I briefly mentioned on the "what did you do today" thread that my steering was vague and how entering a cross wind required me to get about 15 degrees of correction. On my commute home, "straight" changes with the road, it's unnerving and making me dislike my car.

Have you checked your steering column? It's as if no one likes to talk about it because it's like two threads on the entire internet. I'm about to start a thread about how normal this is, but where my steering shaft and lower steering column meet, there's a ton of play. I don't think this is normal and I would check if you have play there.
    Sorry, not sure how I missed your response. My issue turns out is stuck caliper.

I have a little play but nothing too dramatic. Pretty much what is expected at this age and mileage since it’s not been replaced since new.

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Found this on Auto Zone.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...860/563051_0_0

Does anyone know if this is a good option?

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Found this on Auto Zone.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...860/563051_0_0

Does anyone know if this is a good option?

I have used them on E46s before without issue. Do a thorough check of the boot seals and such before you install them.

I would also suggest painting them as they will eventually rust, and I always replace calipers in pairs to prevent pulling while braking.

@san I'd rebuild them yourself with OEM seals. I found out the hard way that the remanufacturers use cheap trash guides and chased a squishy brake pedal for years thinking there was air in my lines.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    @san I'd rebuild them yourself with OEM seals. I found out the hard way that the remanufacturers use cheap trash guides and chased a squishy brake pedal for years thinking there was air in my lines.
    That was my first intention, but the autozone way seemed way easier, convenient and not very expensive. But you have me second guessing.

Do you have a list of parts that are needed for the rebuild?

So I took the culprit caliper out. The seals themselves seem to be OK, to look at least but when I pulled back the seal back a bit, I could clearly see corrosion on the piston. I’m fairly certain it’s beyond repair. Tried to look fcp, ecs, turner etc. for the replacement but they all seem to be on back order till end of July. I need to search outside of the usual places it seems.

So I can either
    1. Wait for parts for a month if I can’t find them sooner ($20 per piston)
    2. Buy a rebuild caliper and hope they didn’t cheap out (seem as low is $60 per)
    3. Buy a new OE caliper @ $4xx (ya right!)
    4. Convince myself it’s time to get that wilwood BBK

Decisions decisions….

I like option 4.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast