Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"back to OEM" project

Hi all!

It's been a fun month owning the ZHP, really loving it. I'm planning to bring the car back to stock/OEM on the exterior and had a few questions if you guys have some insight.

I already have the OEM tails, side markers, and corners that will be going in soon. I am now contemplating the kidney grilles and lower mesh, but I am just not certain what is OEM, factory option, etc. Here's a photo of the car how it is today. Does anyone know if the grilles are OEM? I think the lower mesh grille was darker/black from the factory right? Or did some of them come like this?

Also I see 2 "bmw genuine" options on FCP Euro for the kidney grilles: 1. chrome outside with black slats or 2. chrome outside with chrome slats. Does anyone know which option is true stock?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  292.1 KB

The bumper grille is black from factory, it will get white-ish after some time. The PN is 51-11-7-893-331. I replaced mine 6 years ago, you may want to replace the black trim that goes right behind it. I didn’t and now I can tell the difference in color.

I have no clue about the OEM kidney grilles, mine has black ones which PO installed.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Thank you fredo! I have no clue about the kidney grilles as well.

Here is a photo of the chrome with black slats:

Name:  OEM kidney with black slats.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  68.5 KB

There are discussions out there on the grills. Based on my understanding it was like this:

USA cars: Chrome and black
    Euro cars: All chrome
    MSport: Gloss black
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Did you sell your taillights, side markers and corner lights?

My coupe has the original stock grilles:
    Grille left CHROM from 03/2003 51137064317
    Grille right CHROM from 03/2003 51137064318

For the sedan:
    Grille left CHROM from 09/2001 51137042961
    Grille right CHROM from 09/2001 51137042962
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Your car looks completely OE to me with the exception of the corners/sidemarkers and the tint. The only difference with the lights is that you have euro clear lights, which are technically factory stock but for European cars. The U.S. cars received amber lights. But, they are BMW-spec for Europe so that would still classify as 'original' depending on which viewpoint you take.

Your lower grille is a stock item, but it's faded. They are black when they are new and fade to grey as time goes on.

Your kidney grilles are also factory for U.S. spec cars.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Your car looks completely OE to me with the exception of the corners/sidemarkers and the tint. The only difference with the lights is that you have euro clear lights, which are technically factory stock but for European cars. The U.S. cars received amber lights. But, they are BMW-spec for Europe so that would still classify as 'original' depending on which viewpoint you take.

Your lower grille is a stock item, but it's faded. They are black when they are new and fade to grey as time goes on.

Your kidney grilles are also factory for U.S. spec cars.
    Yes... Clears are OEM for Europe. A much better look than amber. We can blame the US DOT for those...

Quote Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
    Yes... Clears are OEM for Europe. A much better look than amber. We can blame the US DOT for those...
    We can blame US DOT for a long of stupid things, like multifunction brake/turn bulbs and turn signals that are red... and the lack of other cool lighting technology they get in Europe but not here. Sigh...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRichieRich View Post
    Did you sell your taillights, side markers and corner lights?
    Not yet but as soon as I get the ambers on they will be up for sale. I'll give you first dibs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast