Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AVIN AVANT 4... thoughts?

Hi all--
    Planning out my new head unit for a fall stereo upgrade. I'll be replacing the factory head unit, running Mosconi amps and Focal speakers. I'll be bypassing the HK amp, so sound / install should be very clean.

I'm really hung up on the head unit though. My brain says to go with an Alpine or Sony. Between the new 2 DIN faceplates and the shallow CarPlay units (no CD player required!) they are much better looking than they used to be...

But the AVIN Avant 4 looks the best of all the options IMO. Really looks factory, and my car is as OEM+ as it gets...

Anyone running the Avant 4 with some real world experience? Most concerned about the line out for audio quality, and the UI (I'll be mostly CarPlay / Sirius).

Saw a Youtube video, looks ok...

https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimed...es-e46-m3.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB4tXxq6at0

Options:

Name:  AVIN.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  41.4 KB

vs...

(newer model than this HU, but you get the idea)...
    Name:  Carplay2.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  743.1 KB

I don't have experience with either unit but do have experience with OEM-looking vs. modern up to date.

I had an EONON 5150 (OEM looking) as my first headunit and liked the OEM look of it but hated the operating system/lack of carplay. I now have the 9 inch headunit that is completely knob/buttonless/all touch (modern/up to date) and I LOVE the look and the operating system to include the carplay. Not everyone likes the size or the fact that it isn't OEM looking but I think it works with the interior pretty well and doesn't throw a wrench in the mix.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    I don't have experience with either unit but do have experience with OEM-looking vs. modern up to date.

I had an EONON 5150 (OEM looking) as my first headunit and liked the OEM look of it but hated the operating system/lack of carplay. I now have the 9 inch headunit that is completely knob/buttonless/all touch (modern/up to date) and I LOVE the look and the operating system to include the carplay. Not everyone likes the size or the fact that it isn't OEM looking but I think it works with the interior pretty well and doesn't throw a wrench in the mix.
    I consider both of the images I posted "OEM looking." That will be a must.... I assume a 9" screen sticks out etc... I have 3 other cars with giant screens (and modern cars), and I'm seriously toying with the idea of leaving this car's radio stock to keep the car original... but the sound is just so shitty and the factory HU is junk. Groan

I could be wrong, but unless my brain is tricking me (known to happen), isn't there a VERY OEM looking single DIN out there?

if you're looking for double din and its not Chinese/Japanese/tiawan manufactured (eonon, etc), I think AVIN is going to be your best bet.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

I could be wrong, but unless my brain is tricking me (known to happen), isn't there a VERY OEM looking single DIN out there?

if you're looking for double din and its not Chinese/Japanese/tiawan manufactured (eonon, etc), I think AVIN is going to be your best bet.
    With CarPlay? I wish BMW honored their old cars the way Porsche did with something like Porsche classic radios...

Saw a 1 DIN Porsche classic radio fitted into an e36... Awesome. the Porsche classic is a 1DIN CarPlay unit with built in BT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO23zBLpUwc/

I recently looked very deeply into this because I wanted to replace my Business CD with an OEM looking single DIN. There is no such thing out there for the E46. I'll probably end up getting a simple Blaupunkt unit like the Bologna 200.

For the E30 and E36, the Continental head unit comes close to OEM but not quite.

The only single DIN OEM upgrade for the E46 is the Becker unit (BMW Indianapolis): https://www.ebay.com/itm/154313511850
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

No CarPlay, analog single DIN unit with better specs as I recall

$1600 dollars for that headunit?! WOWZA

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    I recently looked very deeply into this because I wanted to replace my Business CD with an OEM looking single DIN. There is no such thing out there for the E46. I'll probably end up getting a simple Blaupunkt unit like the Bologna 200.

For the E30 and E36, the Continental head unit comes close to OEM but not quite.

The only single DIN OEM upgrade for the E46 is the Becker unit (BMW Indianapolis): https://www.ebay.com/itm/154313511850

Thanks... Wish I could find a pic of it installed, but here is the Porsche Classic radio with the logo removed, ready for a BMW lol:Name:  PC.PNG
Views: 684
Size:  738.5 KB

No CarPlay, analog single DIN unit with better specs as I recall

$1600 dollars for that headunit?! WOWZA
    I think for most of the people putting them in their vintage Porsches, $1600 doesnt matter to keep all OEM on a 6 figure car...

Oh I agree, different tier of car ownership.

Still a lot of money though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast