Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

New member in Toronto

Hey Everyone,

this site looks like a great source of information on the ZHP, I'm excited to be here.

I recently picked up a 2004 ZHP 330Ci Manual in Black. It's my first project car, so I'm looking for a few pieces of advice. I want to keep the car pretty much stock, or stock looking, but do some key upgrades so I can take it to the track. I'm not looking to make a track monster or anything like that, mostly something that will be good enough to use to learn how to drive on the track. To that end:

- I'm looking for recommendation for tires, I've seen michelin pilot super sport mentioned in a few places as a good balance of street and track. Is stock size (225 front/255 back) good to keep or does anyone have a suggestion for something different that still fits stock suspension and wheel arches.
    - Are stock brakes good enough for an amateur to take the car to the track? I'm thinking of upgrading to stainless steel brake lines and high temp fluid, but otherwise leaving the brakes stock for now

Thanks in advance
    Drago

Welcome fellow local! Oooooooh boy... where do I start lol.

Tires - Michelin PSS are excellent for a mixed street/track environment. Quieter and better in the wet than a 200tw, not as fast, yet still up for taking some punishment. My first time at the track with stock suspension, I corded the outer shoulder of my Conti ECS. Meanwhile my friend who waaaaay overdrove his PSS with his E90, put a bunch of wear but did not blister them. I'd say if you aren't set on getting a dedicated track set yet, the PSS or PS4S is the next best option. 225/255 staggered isn't ideal since skinnier front tires = understeer and you can't rotate your tires. But if you don't want to buy new rims then that's just a compromise you'll have to make. Another thing about tires, unless you're driving very conservatively you're likely to wear the outer shoulder, with stock front camber and MacPherson. Personally I like to drive balls to the wall and keep pushing PBs rather than casual lapping, which was why I ended up getting camber plates immediately after I corded the Contis.

Brakes - the stock brakes are very, very capable with just pads and fluid. Fluids aren't as big of an issue as the pads - they are the first thing to heat up, before the fluid. I can't comment on how good the stock pads are - again my friend was fine just doing 4-5 lap stints at TMP Cayuga. I used HPS pads and had not much fade, but went through pad material very quickly - in just 2 or 3 track days (~50-70 laps a day at TMP) I had to replace my fronts as they were nearly down to the backing plates.

Let me know if you want to talk more, or heck maybe you'll even catch me at the track. I have 6x day passes for TMP this season, I'm actually headed there tomorrow (praying it doesn't rain!!!)
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Thanks, that helps a lot

If I do choose to get new rims, what size tires would you recommend all around?

I'm going to spend a few weeks just fixing a few things with the car, but hopefully I'll see you at one of the track days this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by drago011 View Post
    Thanks, that helps a lot

If I do choose to get new rims, what size tires would you recommend all around?

I'm going to spend a few weeks just fixing a few things with the car, but hopefully I'll see you at one of the track days this summer!
    No worries! When I was just getting started I ran 17x8.5 ET40 with 245/40/17, square setup and stock suspension. No rubbing at all, the square setup allows you to rotate tires thicker sidewalls gives slightly better ride quality, 1" smaller diameter means tires are cheaper, and you have lower unsprung mass.

The only downside is possibly reduced initial response due to thicker sidewalls, but definitely a worthwhile tradeoff IMO.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Welcome! You'll find some great resources here, from active members to old DIY articles.

Re: wheels - I really enjoy my APEX ARC8 17x8.5" ET40 wheels. They're light, something like 17 lbs a wheel (compared to ~29 lbs for the stock style 135s). The decreased wheel diameter also improves ride a decent bit, and does reduce cost of tires. The only downside I can really see is they don't look *quite* as good as 18s, but I'll take that tradeoff.

Welcome and congrats on the car! Michelin PS4s (the latest) are good tires.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Welcome, man. This is the best forum. Please post pics when you can.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles