Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Bought an OEM Navigation unit (MKIII?), but is the install worth it?

So, I bought a nav unit because the price was attractive, on impulse. (p/n 65526934410). However, the install doesn't look that easy, and there isn't even a whole lot about how to do it online. I have the 17-pin connector, and it looks like the unit takes 2 12-pin connectors. A "navigation retrofit harness" sold by a company that only possesses a 1.3MP camera, pictured with connectors hidden from the camera, is almost $400. This does the opposite of inspiring confidence. Other google searches only discuss the integration of Sirius radio into the nav. Sirius! Sirius! OMG guys...SIRIUS RADIO!

All I wanted was some 90's era graphics in my aging ZHP. Is this whole thing too much trouble? ...does anyone else want it?
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

Totally NOT worth the retrofit. It's antiquated technology with a much-less-than-seamless installation procedure.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

The p/n isn't bringing up pics, is it this one?

Name:  $_59.JPG
Views: 1004
Size:  102.6 KB
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Sadness. I strongly dislike the look of more modern Android-type units in the e46, so I guess I'll try and re-sell this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    The p/n isn't bringing up pics, is it this one?

Name:  $_59.JPG
Views: 1004
Size:  102.6 KB
    My bad, I think the p/n is 65526907718. Pic:

Name:  204549674_4336113366440103_6611200436567559053_n.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  90.8 KB
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

I may be interested. My NAV unit has dead pixels.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I may be interested. My NAV unit has dead pixels.
    Did you have to do a retrofit? Or did your car come like that from the factory?

The seller said there might be a dark-ish area/spot on the screen. PM me if you're interested, maybe we could slap it in your car and see what it looks like.

My car has factory NAV.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    So, I bought a nav unit because the price was attractive, on impulse. (p/n 65526934410). However, the install doesn't look that easy, and there isn't even a whole lot about how to do it online. I have the 17-pin connector, and it looks like the unit takes 2 12-pin connectors. A "navigation retrofit harness" sold by a company that only possesses a 1.3MP camera, pictured with connectors hidden from the camera, is almost $400. This does the opposite of inspiring confidence. Other google searches only discuss the integration of Sirius radio into the nav. Sirius! Sirius! OMG guys...SIRIUS RADIO!

All I wanted was some 90's era graphics in my aging ZHP. Is this whole thing too much trouble? ...does anyone else want it?
    As an FYI.. That's not an MKIII. The MKIII is a CD-based control unit that goes in the trunk of the car... That part # pulls the display with CD player:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...91#65526971855

MKIV replaced the MKIII in about 2003--went from CD to DVD based Navigation... Assuming your car did not come with factory Nav, it is a LOT of work to retrofit OEM Nav--including a giant wiring harness routing the radio from behind the dash to the trunk.

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...it-by-delmarco

I see. Is it also referred to as the “bordmonitor”? I’ve seen that mentioned in conjunction with the p/n.

Shame that the harness is so expensive, otherwise I’d probably try and gather everything and retrofit. Maybe I’ll try to integrate it with the car someday anyways as a long term project.

Quote Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
    As an FYI.. That's not an MKIII. The MKIII is a CD-based control unit that goes in the trunk of the car... That part # pulls the display with CD player:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...91#65526971855

MKIV replaced the MKIII in about 2003--went from CD to DVD based Navigation... Assuming your car did not come with factory Nav, it is a LOT of work to retrofit OEM Nav--including a giant wiring harness routing the radio from behind the dash to the trunk.

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...it-by-delmarco

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    I see. Is it also referred to as the “bordmonitor”? I’ve seen that mentioned in conjunction with the p/n.

Shame that the harness is so expensive, otherwise I’d probably try and gather everything and retrofit. Maybe I’ll try to integrate it with the car someday anyways as a long term project.
    I've done the retrofit... I would not do it again. When I sought my current ZHP, I specifically looked for one without onboard Nav... I have the detailed install pics on my home computer somewhere. I'll dig them up when I head back from the Cape... end of July