Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Occasional Steering Wheel vibrations

I've been having weird steering wheels vibrations recently. The issue first showed itself way back in 2019 just before I put the car away for winter. The steering wheel just started to move slightly left and right on its own. I pulled over into the parking because I thought the lug nuts were loose but when I checked them, they were all torqued down. I also checked the tires visually for any bubbles but saw nothing. I started driving and the issue went away, so I had thought maybe something got stuck to one of the tires and it came off before I could check, so I put the car away for the winter.

Fast forward to 2020, where I drove the car for about 12k miles and the issue didn't show up even once.

Fast forward to 2021, the issue showed up 3 out of the last 5 times I drove the car. I start to drive the car normally, everything seems fine, but suddenly, the steering wheels starts to vibrate. It is definitely dependent on wheel speed. Every time this happens, I pull the car over into a parking lot to check what I can, everything seems normal. I start driving again and almost always the vibrations stop. This one time I was paying close attention and I noticed that it started after I braked quite hard so I pulled into a parking lot after driving for a mile or two and noticed that the driver side front caliper was slightly warmer than the passenger side front. I start driving after chekcing and as usual the vibrations stop. I dont think the vibrations go away while I'm driving, they only stop once I stop the car completely and wait a couple of minutes.

Googling the problem seemed to indicate warped calipers (unlikely since the issue wouldn't be sporadic), sticky caliper, worn out steering guibo, and maybe something wrong with the steering rack itself. I am inclined to think sticky caliper due to the difference in caliper temperature but I am not certain. I am planning on bleeding the brakes this weekend as a first step but wanted to check with folks here to see if they have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

This sounds vaguely like the issue that I had, which turned out to be broken engine mounts. Have you checked yours?
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    This sounds vaguely like the issue that I had, which turned out to be broken engine mounts. Have you checked yours?
    Oh I haven’t thought of that at all. I haven’t checked them but I’m sure they’re due for a change considering they’re original and car now had ~205k miles but I’m not sure if they’re broken.

I will check them later today. anything in particular I need to do or just check them visually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Oh I haven’t thought of that at all. I haven’t checked them but I’m sure they’re due for a change considering they’re original and car now had ~205k miles but I’m not sure if they’re broken.

I will check them later today. anything in particular I need to do or just check them visually?

It should be pretty obvious if the rubber has split in half. I would replace them regardless if you suspect they are original.

Your thought process was about the same as mine. Warped rotors can create a judder, especially under braking, and can be intermittent depending on various variables. Engine mounts are a good look too, can finally put in those M3 mounts...

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    It should be pretty obvious if the rubber has split in half. I would replace them regardless if you suspect they are original.
    I have a leaky oil pan as well, so I am just waiting to get both of them done at the same time. This may just push me to get it done sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Your thought process was about the same as mine. Warped rotors can create a judder, especially under braking, and can be intermittent depending on various variables. Engine mounts are a good look too, can finally put in those M3 mounts...
    They’ve been sitting on a shelf for about 4-5 years I think

They’ve been sitting on a shelf for about 4-5 years I think

So have mine

I have a leaky oil pan as well, so I am just waiting to get both of them done at the same time. This may just push me to get it done sooner.

Might as well do the oil pump nut while you're in there.

The engine mounts seem to have collapsed completely!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast