Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front left strut mount noise

Last week I noticed a noise (clunky sound) coming from the left front strut/wheel area. I had an alignment at Firestone scheduled for the weekend so I asked them to look into it while the car was there. They said the noise is coming from the left front strut mount. The mechanic showed me by pushing up on the tire.

In December 2019 I had the front struts replaced with Bilsteins, so I am bit skeptical the problem is there. But strange things do happen. This is my DD and needing to get it back on the road ASAP. Question: is it too soon for the strut mount to fail? Do I replace both or just the one? And, which mounts do you recommend? Thank you

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

2005 e46 330Ci, 83k miles.

You mentioned the struts were replaced in 2019, did this include the mounts? If so, it's certainly premature for the mount to fail.

If it's truly at the area of the strut mount I'd recommend trying to tighten the nut to the strut top. If that's loose, it could certainly introduce a clunk.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Good point. Thanks

I'd also check on the sway bar end link. Could be loose or failing as well.

Thank you all for the the advice.

Update: My indy checked the struts and mounts and they looked great. He also checked the entire front end while up on the lift and found nothing wrong... Finally, he noticed the drive shaft bearing was a bit off. So, he removed the drive shaft, adjusted the bearing and reinstalled it.. The noise is gone...

Finding the issue took a few hours over two days.

1. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    2. Should I be concerned? $$$
    3. Is this a sign of things to come?

Thanks you and stay safe.

AZ

That sounds kind of fishy to be honest. The noise was near the front strut tower, but he re-seated the centre support bearing? It's also a non-trivial task to get to the CSB since you have to drop the exhaust, then the heat shield.

Yeah that is weird. Especially because you were shown the issue by the mech by pushing on the tire of the side in question.

I was able to get to my CSB without removing the exhaust, but I'm not sure if that works with the stock unit. Still very sus though. It's stuff like this that really makes me not trust shops. Even with very reputable ones, I always have to go and double-check if they actually did stuff properly.

I'd say get your car up in the air on a jack and check the front suspension yourself. Just look for any signs of play. If there is something actually wrong, you won't need much force to uncover it.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    It's stuff like this that really makes me not trust shops. Even with very reputable ones, I always have to go and double-check if they actually did stuff properly.
    Yeah... there was a shop that was pretty famous to the Toronto area, on the Toronto-based BMW forum back in the day. They gave me a very good quote for RACP underside reinforcement (Redish plates) + Powerflex subframe bushings, RTABs, and OE diff bushings "while we're in there". Everything was done aside from the diff bushings... I had to heckle the guy for 2 weeks and only then he agreed to refund me $600 (his shop rate to do the diff bushings as a standalone job). I then did the diff bushings on my own and saved a bunch of cash lol.

Oh and reminds me of the time I swapped winter tires for my aunt. Her mechanic advised her "whoever changed the tire last didn't tighten the lugs enough" - like no buddy, I torqued them to 85 ft-lbs. Lo and behold, she gets a flat a few months later, and the lugs won't come off... well it's because her stupid mechanic just ugga-dugga'd her lugs. My Milwaukee made quick work of those but it still took a lot more impacts of the hammer to get the lugs loose than usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast