Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Console Storage Compartment Removal: How to?

ZHP Members:

I am installing Karbonius carbon fiber interior trim. Since I have the console taken a part, I am going to remove the rubberized coating on the ashtray door and storage compartment door. I looked at a ShopLife video but it does not match the configuration of the ZHP 2005.

How do you remove the storage console compartment?

It seems that, I will have remove the radio and push from behind if it is held side push tabs. There is no way to grab a hold of anything to pull out. I am refraining from using the door a the pull point. I am assuming that once the storage compartment is removed the two upper screws will be revealed, allowing the removal of the ashtray and fraemwork.

Also, if I don't like the natural finish, I can paint the doors. How do I prep the plastic before painting? Is there a specific paint that others have used successfully?

Thanks for your assistance.

I believe the sunglass storage box just slides in/pulls out. I'd read about putting your hand in the box & working it out.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

John:

I tried that but after I open the door, there is not anything to grab ahold of. Can't get your hand in hardly at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zavqY8x7oo0

See 5:49 here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqAwtIFc-sM

See 3:00 here - URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwjrN3Q-1g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwjrN3Q-1g[/URL]
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

John:

I look at these. Shop Life on Youtube is reliable. The BMW model they performed the task was easy to get your hands in to pull. The door opened on mine does not leave hardly any room to even insert your hand, let alone trying pull and remove. I hesitate using the door to pull on.

Pull on the door, it can handle it.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I had a chance to watch the first video. Mine opens the opposite way. Also, mine just has a tray as opposed to a cavernous cavity which allows more pull points. I try some these. If I still have troubles, I'll post a picture.

The later boxes were hinged at the bottom vs. top. Sorry you're having so much trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    The later boxes were hinged at the bottom vs. top. Sorry you're having so much trouble!
    Hinged at the bottom are for convertible cars.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I returned to removing the storage compartment and finally had success. I used a trim removal tool and levered from the passenger side and easy removed the compartment. Here are pictures of the compartment in the event someone else encounters this challenge. All of the videos and instructions I viewed showed the compartment with a different configuration which allows one to place hands inside to pull it out. That is impossible with the 2005 ZHP configuration I have.

Name:  WIN_20210802_18_34_43_Pro.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  170.4 KBName:  WIN_20210802_18_35_19_Pro.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  160.8 KB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast