Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I like the rogue RSMs. one of the few things I like from them. Reinforces that area. Plus it helps when after you install that, you don't ever gotta take out the trunk to replace the shocks since the nuts are now under the wheel well.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...0-E36-E46.html

Quote Originally Posted by zhaireszhp View Post
    yeah, still can’t visibly inspect any cracks, was the same when I had the diff dropped, possible some hairline cracks exist when the subframe is dropped though. Regardless of what I do probably not going to drive it for awhile if RSM don’t do anything.
    Yeah a lot of times when you're inspecting, it requires you to remove the protective undercoating first in the common trouble areas. Then only after that will you see the cracks.

I ran Meyle HD RSMs with Bilstein B4s without issue, but only for about 20k kms. For a street car I'd probably go with Lemforder, paired with reinforcement plates.

Here's a pic of the 1 large crack I had, before undercoating was cleaned off. Quite faint but it's there. Most smaller cracks will be very hard to see, either due to undercoating or just blocked by the bushings:

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

yeah its possible i smaller cracks i cant see due to undercoating/subframe, not sure theyd warrant the thud noise though. for those who have had their subframe mounts reinforced by a shop, did they repaint your subframe?

Tangentially related, i was planning this job for when i decided on what lsd i wanted to install, seems like torsen style would be right for me but am curious about install, do most just go the pumpkin route or find a shop that can install it into factory diff?

Repainted the subframe itself, no mine's still really crusty. Honestly I'll probably just let it crack, and then repaint the replacement lol.

If I were to get an LSD installed I'd order the core itself, then have a transmission shop replace it. I normally like to DIY a lot of things but I don't have the tools (nice vise on a solid bench) nor the time, and I wouldn't want to screw something up.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by zhaireszhp View Post
    Tangentially related, i was planning this job for when i decided on what lsd i wanted to install, seems like torsen style would be right for me but am curious about install, do most just go the pumpkin route or find a shop that can install it into factory diff?
    I think it depends on your budget and stuff. Normally I would just get the LSD itself and swap into my pumpkin too since DIY. But I'm lazy nowadays, so I'll just swap the whole pumpkin. Maybe sell my old one to recoup or something.

I have the tools for the DIY, those snap-ring shims look like a pain though. when i had the diff out i had a brief moment where i was going to say fuck it and just order one to have installed but better judgement got the best of me haha.

Got some quotes the last couple days, found a competitive one and seems like the shop is run by good people, ~2100-2200 for reinforcement+ all bushings replaced. Haven’t officially confirmed w/ them yet but how accommodating they’ve been w/ all my questions/concerns has really stood out. Probably called a dozen and a half shops and it kind of surprised me that that wasn't always the case, especially since this is kind of a big job.

did you ever replace the RSMs to see if the clunk goes away since that's easy to replace and probably cheaper than the subframe stuff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast