Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    You should scan the computer for codes.

Uhggggggggg.... today the car shimmied for one whole stretch of driving, for about 5-6 minutes, even with it in idle, until I stopped and started and it "straightened" itself out, but it is still there during low RPM acceleration... scared the crap out of me... Doesn't help either right now I am working 12 hours a day all over the place, makes this whole process a lot crappier FML
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Any updates? As Dave1027 mentioned, I'm also wondering if any codes popped up.

Still troubleshooting, some say the DISA valve and possibly the vanos line / o-rings... I got the parts, just trying to figure out if I can test before I pay this freakin shop near stealer fees again since my guy is out for another 2 months, FML... DISA replace seems pretty easy, maybe a 10 min job, but might still pay the shop whatever, maybe $70 to get it done and move on with life.
    Hankook Ventus V12

Sorry, but you need to learn to do the work on your car. I sold my wife's 2000 328i to the neighbor's 16 y/o son & he's read the Bentley manual & watched 50s Kid YouTube videos to work on it.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Sorry, but you need to learn to do the work on your car. I sold my wife's 2000 328i to the neighbor's 16 y/o son & he's read the Bentley manual & watched 50s Kid YouTube videos to work on it.
    Agreed, I had never touched anything on a car nor had any knowledge or experience prior to buying my E46. I started from scratch and learned to do almost everything. And that was despite relying on the car as a daily. Anything is possible if you have the initiative.

50s Kid is a gold mine, used his VANOS guide which made that job super easy. Generally though there is a video for almost everything you would ever need on YouTube.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Ya that's all great in theory....and what happens when you're halfway into the work and find out one of your tools don't work or fit? Or you drop a screw down where it's nowhere to be found? Or do the work and then the car doesn't start.... Worse yet, dies on the way to work? Or you just can't reach into a spot you need or one of the bolts/screw comes loose?

Sorry but in these older cars, there Murphy's law everywhere... If I didn't work 60 hours / 7 days a week and didn't have 3 other companies/projects I'm trying to get going, believe me, as a mech-e major and one who has succeeded in beating the smartest kids in the world in competition, I am severely tempted to get into this. But in fear of the stupid stuff that can go wrong and no second car just sitting here as backup, unless I rent a Uhaul and risk it (which now looking back, might be cheaper than these aholes who overcharged me, even though most of the reviews and they were VERY reasonable so clearly they read that and raised their prices recently), it's near impossible for me to safely get into working on my car and not risk falling behind on my other jobs.

I know most of you guys have gotten into this, and that's great, you had the op to do that.... But everyone's life is not the same... If I fix my toilet, something goes wrong, I use another bathroom, big deal. This is not that type of situation.

The disa valves looks way easy to replace again in theory... But ima ask this shop and another couple how much and see what's up and go from there. If it's around $60-80 I guess that's fine. If it's way over $100, well....

Might have to rent a Uhaul no matter what.

Appreciate the advice though... just wanted to let you know when from past history regurgitating here, there's a reason I don't work on my car, and unfortunately my ZHP friend here is away 28 days a month now working on aircraft at a remote location so that's just bad timing. Can't ask him to forget about his wife and kids and work on my car instead. ( Actually I did and his wife said no, obviously )
    Hankook Ventus V12

If that's the case you need to continue to work to make the $$ to pay a trusted pro to do the work for you & accept that it costs what it does. I have plenty of neighbors that don't lift a finger to do things around their houses or cars - they work at their jobs & stroke the checks.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I'm curious to know more about this "shimmy." Could you further characterize it? I know you mentioned low RPM, 1st and 2nd gear.

What is the shimmy? is it hesitation / lag in acceleration?

Does it happen any other speeds, or RPMs? I had read about a vanos stumble (not sure if stumble is the right term) where there's a hesitation around 3k RPM, wonder if that's what you're experiencing.

OK!

I think I finally found my new mechanic, until... He said he's worked on the BMW series for 30 years... He has his shop actually right next to my future CBD lab, and he was also willing to come to my location for extra $100, but I took it to him instead, needed to rent a car anyways. (Nissan Sentra, felt like a toy, but thank God for it's Sports Mode)

Super nice guy, he quoted me $50 to install the disa and another $300 for the vanos line and rings, if needed.

Turned out didn't need any of that. And I dunno if the last shop that raped me really checked out not, will be impossible to tell now but this guy said the head gasket was fine, OMG... Best news all freakin year.

He said the third cylinder (I think he said that at first) wasn't firing, and said the coil needed to be replaced. He said coils need to be replaced during tuneups? The other mobile mech did my tuneup several months ago, and obviously he didn't do it. New guy said the rest of the coils should also be replaced, since I don't think one ever replaced them since I owned the car, or at least in several years.

He also replaced a seal by the injector.

Charged me $325 for everything.

I think overall his prices have been the most reasonable out of everyone so far besides my ZHP friend who again, is away.

He also said I should replace the cabin filter, that's "it's in pieces"... I guess that's next along with tires and rear window regulator. I feel like ever all this, I'll basically have a few car that'll last another ten years.

And for some weird reason, the key fob works now? Why would that be?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Hankook Ventus V12

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast