Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I'm curious to know more about this "shimmy." Could you further characterize it? I know you mentioned low RPM, 1st and 2nd gear.

What is the shimmy? is it hesitation / lag in acceleration?

Does it happen any other speeds, or RPMs? I had read about a vanos stumble (not sure if stumble is the right term) where there's a hesitation around 3k RPM, wonder if that's what you're experiencing.
    Not that this matters now but maybe it'll help you or someone else in the future.

First, the shimmy results in some power loss and noticeable vibration that seems to emanate from the engine. It also does it during idle.

During acceleration, you can "get rid of" the shimmy by over revving the engine a bit in first before full engaging the clutch, almost burning it a bit.

If you don't, there was about a 70% chance the shimmy would remain in all gears, impossible to get rid of until you restart the car.

Once you start moving the car without the shimmy, it ran as normal, beautifully.

Either way, now it's music to my ears again. Just praying there's no hairline damage somewhere around the engine due to the overheating trauma after hearing all the FUD about it. I guess we'll see.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Oh wow, so it was a bad coil. Glad you found the new mechanic and got it sorted out.

Oh wow, so it was a bad coil. Glad you found the new mechanic and got it sorted out.
    Hopefully that's it....
    Still good....
    But I think I should replace the other five right, I don't remember replacing them before do probably not a good idea to just replace one

Hankook Ventus V12

It's fine to replace just one. But I mean if you're already there, might as well lol And if you didn't do plugs yet, do that too

I replaced one on mine and then two more failed a few weeks later.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Thanks guys...
    I think the lesson here is, if its one freak failure it's ok, but if it's been over several years and one goes, maybe it's more responsible to change all?
    Especially when this happened after my overheat problem.

Hankook Ventus V12

It couldn't hurt to change the other 5, budget permitting. It's simple enough, too, so you wouldn't have to pay anyone for the labor (it literally pops off and on with moderate force). And like sillieidot mentioned, might as well change the plugs while you're in there.

It couldn't hurt to change the other 5, budget permitting. It's simple enough, too, so you wouldn't have to pay anyone for the labor (it literally pops off and on with moderate force). And like sillieidot mentioned, might as well change the plugs while you're in there.
    Ok so meaning this isn't the kinda project where Murphy's law can screw me over big time?

Might actually tackle this one then... For me it's never the actual fix, it's all the bs that can happen outside that pisses me off so I don't deal with it.

Hankook Ventus V12

Honestly, murphy's law can hit you even if you have someone else do it, or do nothing at all. If you believe all these things will happen, then just prepare yourself for the worst so you have an answer for the most probably scenarios that will happen. You're going to drop a nut. Get a magnet (or grabber, I personally think the grabber is way more useful), or buy new ones you're going to take off so you have extra. Get the tools you need for the job so you don't leave anything up to chance.

I always go in thinking this is going to take longer than it should. Then when I finish early, I'm like I missed something and recheck my work lol

But that job is on the easier end. It took me an hour going real slow to stop and take pictures for to document the process for JR. I even took the time to take a picture of every spark plug I pulled out. Otherwise I would have done it in like less than half that.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Honestly, murphy's law can hit you even if you have someone else do it, or do nothing at all. If you believe all these things will happen, then just prepare yourself for the worst so you have an answer for the most probably scenarios that will happen. You're going to drop a nut. Get a magnet (or grabber, I personally think the grabber is way more useful), or buy new ones you're going to take off so you have extra. Get the tools you need for the job so you don't leave anything up to chance.

I always go in thinking this is going to take longer than it should. Then when I finish early, I'm like I missed something and recheck my work lol
    Good advice
    This means I'll check his quote in labor first and then I'll decide LOL

Hankook Ventus V12

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456