Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Rear Camera connection to reverse positive and reverse negative

ZHP members:

I am going to attach a AVIN wireless rear backup camera to a 2005 ZHP.

After removing the piece that holds the license plate lights, I observe the following:

As you face the vehicle the "right" license plate light has three wires ... one brown (ground), one red, and one yellow; whereas, the left license plate light has four wires ... brown, brown/white, yellow/white, and grey.

Questions
    (1) What is the difference between the right and left license plate light's wiring?

(2) How is the license plate assembly light removed?

(3) Which license plate light should be used for the backup camera?

(4) Once the proper reverse positive and negative is identified, what is the best method to connect to the backup camera wires to the vehicles wires? (I am assuming that one has to cut the wires going into the license plate light unless there is a connection which I cannot see until the light assembly is removed.).

Thanks

I decided to leave the license plate lights in because it'd look asymmetric. Instead I drilled a hole in the trunk handle and mounted a cam there. Power goes to a relay switched by the reverse lights, and signal goes to the headunit (OEM TV Module for MK4 Nav in my case).

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Where exactly did yo place the camera? I cannot tell by the picture. I am assuming to placed it in the center.

Which wires did you connect to? The AVIN system has a positive and ground wire which they state should be connected to the reverse positive and negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Satcho View Post
    Where exactly did yo place the camera? I cannot tell by the picture. I am assuming to placed it in the center.

Which wires did you connect to? The AVIN system has a positive and ground wire which they state should be connected to the reverse positive and negative.
    It's that little nub to the right of the license plate, here's a closer pic:

Wiring, damn it's been a while... I think my cam had 2 for power and 2 for signal. I tried to follow this thread but it didn't quite work out for me. Signal wires went to the OEM TV module (I would guess this is what the AVIN takes) and power is switched with the reverse lights. I wonder how the AVIN works, would it automatically switch to the reverse cam if it sees the signal coming through? If so, I suppose that should work. The cam gets power from reverse lights, starts sending the signal to the AVIN, which sees that and automatically switches to the cam. Not too familiar with that though.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Thanks for the closer picture. I 'll have to wait until I receive the camera to get a better of its size and how I might place it. AVIN camera connections are with the reverse wires so that it can be initiated when the vehicle is placed in reverse.

Hoping someone has specific knowledge of the wiring.