Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Guidance on fixing 2004 zhp vs selling it

I own a 2004 ZHP Black Exterior / Gray Interior w/ 130K miles ( half California / half Georgia ) for 15 years. I have not driven it much for the last couple years ( COVID, lived out of state, kids, and so on) and now the car is in a need of some repair. I listed it online for $4K and got a lot more interest than I expected. However, after a friend who mentioned that ZHPs are going quite well on auction websites, I am wondering if I should fix it up and keep for a few years longer ( as hobby car) since cost of repairs may somewhat pay for itself. I live in Atlanta downtown and have kids, so I won't be able to do the work on my own, but will be looking for a shop to do the work. Here are all the things that I listed out that need to be taken care of. Keep in mind that that transmission and engine seem fine and car is very drivable.

Update : Took some pics https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0LGqN..._c9h1J5PsynUqg

Mechanic overview
    - Right Rear tire has steel belt showing. P225/40R18 92Y. Needs to replaced
    - Lower control arms have play ( loose ). Needs to be replaced
    - Rear shocks are weak
    - Hood shocks are weak
    - Slow transmission fluid leak
    - Very slow oil leak ( issue was there for years due to bad gasket seal )
    - Coolant is low and has a very slow leak
    - Check engine light is due to 27C3 = Thermal oil level sensor and 2F9A = Environment Temperature sensor communication
    - Front passenger tire guard needs to be replaced
    - Wiring is damaged near the front fog light (all headlights and fog lights work). Replace wiring harness or reconnect pieces of harness properly first and then recheck for other issues.
    - Air Conditioning works well, but needs a check and refreshed to get rid of ‘stale’ smell

Interior
    - Front seat needs to have leather either stitched again or replaced
    - Leather on the arm rest needs to be replaced
    - Remaining leather seats and side panels need to be washed and leather treated
    - Roof, side panel, and rear panel lining are sagging and needs to be replaced and/or secured
    - Gear shift knob needs to be replaced
    - CD is stuck inside the CD player and won’t operate
    - The volume button is a bit loose.
    - Carpet on the floors need to be washed.
    - Mats need to be replaced
    - Two of the panels ( driver door and passenger front ) are loose and need to be secured
    - Cup holder is very loose and paint is peeling. Needs to be replaced.
    - Plastic foot rest is cracked and needs to be replaced

Exterior
    - Front bumper is poorly unsecured on the driver side. No visible damage, but needs to be secured.
    - Tire guard is missing on Driver side. Needs to be replaced
    - Driver side fog light works, but needs to be refitted again and secured
    - Front headlights (maybe fog lights ?) have oxidation issues which either needs to be buffed or replaced
    - Minor dent on rear passenger side
    - Small crack( barely noticeable) in the rear bumper.
    - One small dent needs to be buffed out
    - Car has 3-4 scratches
    - Wheels need to be washed properly.
    Last edited by ilyap; 09-18-2021 at 09:50 AM. Reason: update

I’m in Atlanta as well. All those are relatively minor fixes labor wise.

Used tires ~$400 for a set of good tires at least 8/32”

Just cry a bit and refresh the entire suspension ~$1000

Hood shocks ~30

Trans leak? Manual or auto?

Replace all the engine gaskets you can get to without dropping the transmission. ~200

Cooling system refresh? At least the hoses and expansion tank ~600

Everything else isn’t as important honestly and won’t be an inconvenience if your seat catastrophically tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Also, I can do wiring work. Check my build thread where I repaired the coolant temp sensor wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

It sounds like you have a 2+ owner Black on Gray auto sedan with 130k?

At the moment, its not worth a ton on auction sites. Coupes, manuals, and other interior colors (not beige) are more desirable. However, your car in its curr condition is likely worth more than $4k...Maybe $7k? Will prices rise for your car? who knows...although I think the more desirable options you don't have will continue to be desirable.

I would do maybe a few of the easier things, raise the price and sell it.

@DeathTrap I appreciate the response. I might take you up on that wiring offer My estimate is close to yours. I figured somewhere around 2-3K worth of mechanical fixes. Btw, I won't pass next smog if I don't fix the temperature sensors, so that's a must as well.

Interior is critical to me as I don't want to feel like I am driving an old car. I can afford a newer used car, but don't want to buy one in this market as options are limited. This is where it gets tricky. I called a few places and getting interior fixed, especially leather, gets expensive. Getting it refreshed would cost another $2-4K So if you have a referral for a good place around the area, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot05 View Post
    It sounds like you have a 2+ owner Black on Gray auto sedan with 130k?

At the moment, its not worth a ton on auction sites. Coupes, manuals, and other interior colors (not beige) are more desirable. However, your car in its curr condition is likely worth more than $4k...Maybe $7k? Will prices rise for your car? who knows...although I think the more desirable options you don't have will continue to be desirable.

I would do maybe a few of the easier things, raise the price and sell it.
    My thoughts as well, but you should check out ZHP listings. Even for auto they are going for some crazy prices. I wasn't aware going into it.
    https://carsandbids.com/search?q=zhp

Fix most or all of it, up the value of the car and sell it.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover