Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Tyler AKA YoitsTmac ZHP Coupe Hunt!

Hey everyone! Alright lets get the sad part out of the way. I was rear ended trying to turn into my driveway by a lifted Tacoma on 32" wheels. The bumper got split down the middle and the damage on the right quarter panel pulled the left quarter panel. Apparently $15,000 in damage will total the car. I am recovering but sadly am not at 100%, but if I stopped every time I wanted to feel sorry for myself, I wouldn't be here today. I appreciate everyone's concern for my health. I am 23 and in the best shape of my life. I'm sad my workout sessions on Tuesday and Thursday have stopped, but an important step towards a proper recovery . Now that we got the soppy stuff out of the way, time to get down to brass tax.

Now that I'm an established adult (got my certificate in the mail and everything), I think its time I get myself something nice and close to what I envision for the final picture. I said it on my YouTube and I'll say it here, but E46 is my favorite chassis ever made. I've driven 500hp M235i's. I've driven F80. I've driven E92 M3. I love each of those cars for different reasons, but I love E46. It's far from perfect, but it's a fantastic canvas begging for your interpretation of perfection.

So how do I draw on the canvas? Boy, it will take me years, but let's start with the obvious: six gears in the middle, three pedals under my feet, sport package and an exterior look to match. So the ZHP fits the bill perfectly! For this hunt, I'm looking for coupes only. I'm a millennial damnit, life wouldn't be the same if I wasn't inconveniencing myself! Creative writing aside, here's my hunt:

car has been purchased.
    Last edited by YoitsTmac; 10-09-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Good luck! They exist, you'll find one. I wouldn't get too hung up on the Premium Package - ZHPs come standard with a lot of the items in the Premium Package for non-ZHP cars (automatic rain-sensing wipers, power seats, moonroof), and some of the items were superseded as well (different tire/wheel combo, three spoke steering wheel, wood grain trim). The only items that are in the Premium Package on a ZHP are:

• Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (can be easily retrofitted)
    • Lumbar support (again, easily retrofitted)
    • BMW Assist (I have no idea if that even still works)
    • Leather upholstery (frequently optioned on its own)

I'd say the Cold Weather Package is more useful, but in coupes we already have fold down rear seats as standard (it's a part of the package for sedans), the headlight washers tend to leak and fail, the ski bag I sometimes actually wish I had, and heated front seats can be optioned individually or retrofitted.

I’m a millennial, but I have convenienced myself by buying a wagon. The ultimate E46 platform. That’s a fact, not an opinion.

Continuing, sorry for your loss. Are you opposed to doing a manual swap? It’ll increase your options a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

You could always get a base model and spend too many years and too many thousands of dollars converting it into a ZHP. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

I know you want a coupe but I was going to say that you probably would not want the premium package on the sedan so that you can get the holy grail combo of slicktop + non-folding seats.

Even on the coupe, auto dimming mirror just means something additional to break, just like the headlight washers.

Also only get the black interior. Anything else means stripping out EVERYTHING to replace the carpet. All two-tone interiors start with a black interior and just add seats + door cards and potentially a dash + center console if it's Individual.

Also if your age from that other thread is accurate, you are Gen Z. Millennials are bitter old timers with mortgages and families by now.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

I actually did not know that about the premium package - that the auto dimming mirror is apart of it! Or the leather, I assumed leather came on all E46's and then nappa leather on M3? And yeah I don't care about heated seats unless the interior is brown probably. I think that color is my end goal.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    I’m a millennial, but I have convenienced myself by buying a wagon. The ultimate E46 platform. That’s a fact, not an opinion.

Continuing, sorry for your loss. Are you opposed to doing a manual swap? It’ll increase your options a bit.
    Absolutely. I mean, I have a car with a complete manual and a lifetime warranty on the clutch. So yes, absolutely considering autos. I'm actually having some friends in LA check out a 2004 ZHP with 135k miles but is an auto. 135k feels a smidge high mileage to be honest.

So yes I am looking at that grey on black ZHP and also this red ZHP: https://lascruces.craigslist.org/cto...374845568.html

The owner has been wonderful to work with. I mean, so far I've requested if he'd be open to a ppi and for some videos of the body. He agreed to a ppi if I wanted. He also washed the car and sent me a video, and now I'm on the fence

Pros:
    - low mileage
    - already manual
    - sexy combo
    - tastefully modded
    - thorough maintenance (which doesn't include cooling system)
    - valuable interior for resale

Cons:
    - out of state, not to mention quite far. A large hassle to get back to NorCal for sure which increases my net purchase cost.
    - hood is heavily "pilted" (can't think of the word) by rocks and other debris
    - non-color matched headlight trim
    - peeling headliner (or C and A's that I can see)
    - odd dent ("small" though) in the passenger C pillar
    - rear driver bumper corner has a scratch that would need paint
    - very heavily swirled paint. Likely never detailed.

I should ask about the weird discoloration in the passenger c-pillar. Maybe it's just polish or heavily swirled. And then there's the price, $14,000. Granted it's only ask, but that price feels like a "this is a clean example" price, but the body is pretty rough. The hood alone is really aggressively pelted and the dent/discoloration in the C pillar is also risky. Then the rear bumper has a scratch deep enough for paint, and the oddly mismatched headlight trim show's how difficult it would be to just find an Imola hood.

Ironically cars and bids has two cars with similar mileage and also red on black coupes with a few mods. They sold for $9.3k and $9.6k but were automatics. So on one front, this guy deserves a premium for the manual. On the other hand, the body is significantly more rough and deserves a "demerit" in value for that. My friends say his mods deserve some premium, but the other cars had some mods as well and mods don't translate as well in resale in my opinion. So I really don't know how to value this car.

Then there's the grey car. It seems the current owner is flipping it. However, if it test drives well and is the right price, does it matter? Aside from a couple dings on the bumper that are smaller than a quarter, it looks pristine (in-person look and test drive is scheduled). It's also listed for $8k for 135k miles. As I said, I have a manual available, so the auto isn't that much of an issue. The interior isn't as nice but it has nearly 50% more miles, so you wouldn't expect it to. Interior is easy to replace unlike body work. The mileage is just a smidge out of my comfort zone, but the body is clean and I like the color more than red. Not mention it's easier to acquire. For me colors go Estoril>White>Silver>Red.

It's a real toss up.

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    You could always get a base model and spend too many years and too many thousands of dollars converting it into a ZHP. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

I know you want a coupe but I was going to say that you probably would not want the premium package on the sedan so that you can get the holy grail combo of slicktop + non-folding seats.

Even on the coupe, auto dimming mirror just means something additional to break, just like the headlight washers.

Also only get the black interior. Anything else means stripping out EVERYTHING to replace the carpet. All two-tone interiors start with a black interior and just add seats + door cards and potentially a dash + center console if it's Individual.

Also if your age from that other thread is accurate, you are Gen Z. Millennials are bitter old timers with mortgages and families by now.
    I missed your post because I spent so long making mine! I was basically ZHP converting my current E46...yes it's an expensive game. I have only seen one slick top E46 coupe in my life. My friend lost it in the fire . I won't worry about the rear mirror failing, there's tons on eBay for under like $50 and they are nice. I do dislike the headlight washers...I would delete it as best I could.

I said black dash only because then it'd include two-tone interiors. Anything to not pull that dash off and potentially create rattles. I swapped carpets with my last E46 and would not want to do it again...

Bummer I'm gen Z, the millennial jokes are more fun . My birthday is October 97', so I'm right on the line depending on who you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    I actually did not know that about the premium package - that the auto dimming mirror is apart of it! Or the leather, I assumed leather came on all E46's and then nappa leather on M3? And yeah I don't care about heated seats unless the interior is brown probably. I think that color is my end goal.

Absolutely. I mean, I have a car with a complete manual and a lifetime warranty on the clutch. So yes, absolutely considering autos. I'm actually having some friends in LA check out a 2004 ZHP with 135k miles but is an auto. 135k feels a smidge high mileage to be honest.

So yes I am looking at that grey on black ZHP and also this red ZHP: https://lascruces.craigslist.org/cto...374845568.html

The owner has been wonderful to work with. I mean, so far I've requested if he'd be open to a ppi and for some videos of the body. He agreed to a ppi if I wanted. He also washed the car and sent me a video, and now I'm on the fence

Pros:
    - low mileage
    - already manual
    - sexy combo
    - tastefully modded
    - thorough maintenance (which doesn't include cooling system)
    - valuable interior for resale

Cons:
    - out of state, not to mention quite far. A large hassle to get back to NorCal for sure which increases my net purchase cost.
    - hood is heavily "pilted" (can't think of the word) by rocks and other debris
    - non-color matched headlight trim
    - peeling headliner (or C and A's that I can see)
    - odd dent ("small" though) in the passenger C pillar
    - rear driver bumper corner has a scratch that would need paint
    - very heavily swirled paint. Likely never detailed.

I should ask about the weird discoloration in the passenger c-pillar. Maybe it's just polish or heavily swirled. And then there's the price, $14,000. Granted it's only ask, but that price feels like a "this is a clean example" price, but the body is pretty rough. The hood alone is really aggressively pelted and the dent/discoloration in the C pillar is also risky. Then the rear bumper has a scratch deep enough for paint, and the oddly mismatched headlight trim show's how difficult it would be to just find an Imola hood.

Ironically cars and bids has two cars with similar mileage and also red on black coupes with a few mods. They sold for $9.3k and $9.6k but were automatics. So on one front, this guy deserves a premium for the manual. On the other hand, the body is significantly more rough and deserves a "demerit" in value for that. My friends say his mods deserve some premium, but the other cars had some mods as well and mods don't translate as well in resale in my opinion. So I really don't know how to value this car.

Then there's the grey car. It seems the current owner is flipping it. However, if it test drives well and is the right price, does it matter? Aside from a couple dings on the bumper that are smaller than a quarter, it looks pristine (in-person look and test drive is scheduled). It's also listed for $8k for 135k miles. As I said, I have a manual available, so the auto isn't that much of an issue. The interior isn't as nice but it has nearly 50% more miles, so you wouldn't expect it to. Interior is easy to replace unlike body work. The mileage is just a smidge out of my comfort zone, but the body is clean and I like the color more than red. Not mention it's easier to acquire. For me colors go Estoril>White>Silver>Red.

It's a real toss up.
    Just try to negotiate lower to something you're more comfortable with. A lot of the cons that you stated are like common items I see in all E46s of that age imo. other than the dent on the C pillar. Just fly over and drive back. Shouldn't cost that much with flights these days starting like $50.

For the other car. I don't think the mileage matters if you're going to do what you told me you're planning to do lol I would just make sure the chassis and other stuff is good.

Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    I missed your post because I spent so long making mine! I was basically ZHP converting my current E46...yes it's an expensive game. I have only seen one slick top E46 coupe in my life. My friend lost it in the fire . I won't worry about the rear mirror failing, there's tons on eBay for under like $50 and they are nice. I do dislike the headlight washers...I would delete it as best I could.

I said black dash only because then it'd include two-tone interiors. Anything to not pull that dash off and potentially create rattles. I swapped carpets with my last E46 and would not want to do it again...

Bummer I'm gen Z, the millennial jokes are more fun . My birthday is October 97', so I'm right on the line depending on who you ask.
    You can delete the headlight washers. The entire system. That's what I did. It's just those pumps under the headlight, then the network of hoses under them, and washer tank. I guess new headlight trims too.

Is it expensive? lol It's like less than the price difference between normal and ZHP at the current prices imo. To me, I don't think the ZHP is worth the premium over the normal 330. But I guess that's cause I have a normal one full of M3 parts lol

It's a little expensive to convert to ZHP between the steering wheel, bumpers and paint in my opinion. ZHP premiums for cars with 6 digit mileage is very slim. Different story for under 100k miles (from what I've seen).

I'm not sure there's a price I'm comfortable with. Like I said, there's "perfect" clean E46's with a very minimal premium over this. He is asking top dollar at 14k. Both my previous E46's had significantly less (like a tenth) hood damage, so I'd rather just wait. The C-pillar dent and discoloration is also concerning.

Yes, I'm having a proxy check out the grey car and I told them the same thing: clean body, clean subframe floor. The rest is all in my control. I just bought an interior. It's basically half the price of the $14k, seems like a no brainer.

edit: this is even cleaner with 15k less miles also for $14k: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-for-sale. It just doesn't make sense in my opinion, for the red one I'm considering.

I see. I guess we just differ on the damage that we use as our criteria. Of course I want good paint, but I view all paint damage on removable panels (hood/bumpers/etc) as something that can be easily fixed. As long as it's easily fixable it's fine. Chips for instance is just wear imo. Considering that car is in NM, those highways have a ton of rocks and shit so I don't doubt that there will be a ton. I would totally use those demerits to knock the price down though even though I don't consider them a big deal lol I do agree that 14k is way too much. I would consider that price to be like for a car that is at least 8/10 in all aspects. The mods don't usually increase the value of the car whatsoever. Unless it was an OEM retrofit of some sort like say car had manual and now it's powered seats. That would add value. But if you replaced your seats with buckets, it usually makes it worst lol

I think interior items are more pricey. Just the price of all the pillars alone is the price I paid to have all the pillars and headliner wrapped lol There's really no used when it comes to these pieces since all used ones will be peeling. The door cards, if damaged and need replacing are expensive.

I haven't looked recently for car prices. But 3 months ago, the price difference between a normal 330 and zhp of similar mileage/options was $5k. If I put 5k in the car to convert, it would be a way better conditioned ZHP lol

But keep looking. You only just started your search. Don't be impatient

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast